PDA

View Full Version : Why the undesired taper on this project?

traumfanger
03-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Hello, and thanks in advance,

Please check this out and let me know why the four 3/4 inch diameter cut outs are tapered. ( 7/8 top and 3/4 bottom ) My design did not include "feather". Also, note the 1 inch diameter cut out in the center and corresponding rectangular cut out. Each of these are also tapered. It's not the machine's fault, it's mine and I need help (repair) on this one.

Again, thanks in advance.
Neil

AskBud
03-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Is it possible that you used the "Carving bit" rather than the 1/8" "Straight bit" for your cut-out(s)? Your Circles would/should be Drill points rather than Carver Circles.
AskBud

traumfanger
03-01-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm very sure I used the bit requested by the machine. I had to as I have no idea the sequence the software has placed on the patterns. In any case, shouldn't the 'straight bit be used for "cut through" only?

AskBud
03-01-2009, 05:31 PM
I'm very sure I used the bit requested by the machine. I had to as I have no idea the sequence the software has placed on the patterns. In any case, shouldn't the 'straight bit be used for "cut through" only?

Not so, You may drill with the 1/8" (flat) bit and it does a perfect job (fast as greased lightning). You may, also, do "line" carves.
AskBud

Nine Man Morris Game attached

traumfanger
03-01-2009, 05:50 PM
OK, but how do I know what action the software will perform.....after it has requested a particular bit? If I knew it was a circle (with a bottom) I might ignore the request for a carve bit and load a straight bit. But we don't know what the next cut will be. What if it was a elegant carve and I had a straight bit in?

Must be something else I'm doing wrong. It can't be ignoring the machine request for a particular bit.

AskBud
03-01-2009, 05:58 PM
OK, but how do I know what action the software will perform.....after it has requested a particular bit? If I knew it was a circle (with a bottom) I might ignore the request for a carve bit and load a straight bit. But we don't know what the next cut will be. What if it was a elegant carve and I had a straight bit in?

Must be something else I'm doing wrong. It can't be ignoring the machine request for a particular bit.

The machine presumes a certain bit, unless you direct otherwise (Usually, Carving Bit, or Cutting Bit).

I'm sending you a PM.
AskBud

traumfanger
03-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Bud, thanks for being patient with me. I will read the Pm. However, I just finished a 20 hour carve (carve bit only). The pattern was encased in a rectangle. As requested, the rectangle sides were 90 degree to the bottom and top. The rectangle was approximately 50 by 10.

At first I thought it might be something with "small circle cut outs with a bottom" but then I noticed that the rectangle aprox 2 by .5 was also tapered.

traumfanger
03-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Bud, I just thought of something.

The measurements on this pattern were precise and I used connection lines and edge connections to move the predetermined .75 diameter hole to where I wanted it. Could it be that the connection line changes stretched the top of the hole causing a taper?