micheal

did you do a step cutting for the cutpaths on your pattern
i couldnt tell from the pattern

im doing one out of walnut so i dont want to cut it all in one path

just wondering

kendall

dkarcher
03-01-2009, 04:46 PM
I just did one on Cherry and it did the all the cutpaths in one cut. I was a little worried but it did the job. This is my first project on my CW.

DocWheeler
03-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Kendall,

I have not carved that project yet, but I made a copy and made it smaller.
I say this because it was easy to re-create the cut path after outlining the pattern. You can delete Michael's cut path and re-make it with any cutout depth you want.

I hope this helps.

To be safe, do it with a copy of the mpc.
An aside: I moved the second roof section to the "Back" mpc so I could use two 24" boards on the full sized project.

supershingler
03-01-2009, 09:27 PM
i went in and changed the cutpaths to do three cuts of 1/4" each

the project carved great but when it came to do the cutout it cut the first roof cutout great and started to do the second one and on the first pass the cutting bit broke.

the bit was seated good as i double checked it so i dont know what happened
the bit holder has some bb marks in it

i guess ill have to order the new bits tomorrow and finish the cutout when they come.

just my luck when i havent used the machine for a month i finally get fired up to start making stuff again and i break a bit on the first project.

oh well off to bed maybe tomorrow will be a better day

kendall

mark1945
03-01-2009, 09:35 PM
I made 1 in cedar and it cut in 1 pass no problems,it came out perfect.
Mark

supershingler
03-02-2009, 07:59 AM
i dont think it was a pattern problem

i think it was probably due to my bit holder being wore and my bit starting to get dull

lm going to order a new one and backup today

by the way the clock look absoultely great in walnut

kendall

mtylerfl
03-02-2009, 08:32 AM
Hello Kendall,

Yes, I do run all my projects with single-pass, full-depth cut paths.

As you mentioned, you do have the freedom to make a cutpath "custom" to whatever you feel most comfortable with, but it is probably not necessary. Very extensive testing has been done on all types of hardwoods and softwoods without incident.

Naturally, if there are any issues with bits/adapters/QC/uneven board feed/ or "speed bump" issues due to improperly adjusted outfeed rollers, or failure to provide the extra 7" on the project board, then a broken bit could occur regardless whether or not multi-pass or single-pass cuts are employed.

You can check the settings for any cut path by selecting the cut path, then clicking the Edit Cut Out icon (the one that looks like scissors). This will display the Cut Out Control window. If there is no checkmark in the box next to the Maximum Pass Depth, then you know it is a full-depth, single-pass cut path.

Can't wait to see a photo of your Walnut Wilderness Eagle Clock!!!