PDA

View Full Version : Notification when carve is done?

smv1978
02-28-2009, 10:11 PM
I was wondering if there is a way to be notified when the CarveWright is done or needs a bit changed? Reason I ask is I usaly start the CarveWright in my shop and then go back in the house. I plan on looking into a wireless therameter to monitor the flex shaft temperature from in the house.

AskBud
02-28-2009, 11:06 PM
I was wondering if there is a way to be notified when the CarveWright is done or needs a bit changed? Reason I ask is I usaly start the CarveWright in my shop and then go back in the house. I plan on looking into a wireless therameter to monitor the flex shaft temperature from in the house.

I know that you will get a lot of comments on your method. Everyone will tell you you should be "close" to the unit while it is in operation. Too many things can happen in a split second.

You should, at least, be able to hear the machine hum along. After a while, I was comfortable being on the other side of the wall where I could hear the unit, but not be right at the machine. I'm only about 20 feet away, but I can hear the tempo of the unit and go back in quite often.

I suppose that you could have a small security camera (with audio) trained on the machine in the same manner that you envision with the thermometer.
AskBud

Kenm810
03-01-2009, 07:21 AM
Years ago when I had a small shop in my garage,
I had a $20.00 wireless intercom from Radio Shack set up so barb could
call me if she needed, you could also use it as a monitor
from either end.
My oldest son does the same thing now with a baby monitor,
with one unit in the daughters room and other in his shop.
His wife said she bought it a mom to mom sale for $10.00 last year.
Might work to monitor you Baby carving out in your garage if needed.

Ps. I also read on the forum, someone was use a wireless remote
barbecue temp. sensor tape the his machines Flex-Shaft.

PPs. I still like to be within ear shot of my baby when it's Carving ! :wink:

roughcut
03-01-2009, 07:35 AM

I have a camera in my shop ,bought at Harbor Freight, I can view on my computer. I even have it on line some times @ http://68.200.28.38:3060/

Digitalwoodshop
03-01-2009, 01:36 PM
I bought this i-socket http://dgcproducts.com/index.html from Rockler. My plan was to plug the carving machine into it and then plug a wall wart 24 volt low voltage transformer and have it drive a high current 220 volt Relay. So when the cut motor cuts in the i-socket turns on the dust collector. I tested it out and board measuring does not start the i-socket. You could also just plug a vacuum cleaner into the i-socket and it would run while your cut motor runs. The weakness of the i-socket is that a higher amp vacuum cleaner could burn out the small transistor switch.

For your application you could use a 6 volt Wall Wart and run a Radio Shack small relay and when the cut motor stops the relay turns off. You use the normally closed contacts to the relay to activate a Radio Shack Wireless Intercom.

Just a thought....

I listen to my machine in the Laser Shop on a Radio Shack Wireless intercom and when I go to the house, I can also here it on the Radio Shack intercom.

AL

Router-Jim
03-02-2009, 12:38 PM
You might be able to pick up one of those baby monitoring devices pretty cheap somewhere.