PDA

View Full Version : lag time between "enter" and next screen

Semper Fi
02-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Machine did some strange stuff yesterday that I haven't seen before. After powering up and selecting a project to carve, it took over 30 seconds for the screen to change to the next one. Then when it was homing, it asked me to enter the board thickness. The carved board was 14 inches wide and the temp in the shop was 55. I turned the heat up to 68, thinking maybe this was the problem with the machine being "sluggish". I've never seen the screen that asked me to enter the thickness of the wood before. I don't know if the temp and board width were the problem. Has anyone else seen this happen? I searched the forum, but didn't find any hits. Oh, the 4 hour carve completed fine. I should have tried to set up the project again while it was warm, but I didn't think to.

Digitalwoodshop
02-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Was your spyware running a scan using memory RAM?

Control, Alt, Delete and view the Task Manager.

AL

Semper Fi
02-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Al, I'm talking about the Carvewright machine, but thanks for the suggestion.

LittleRedWoodshop
02-28-2009, 12:21 PM
Mine has been taking a break after the Project selection screen - I pick a project and push enter and it takes about 30 seconds to get past the screen. But I have had no issue with it asking me the board thickness.

mtylerfl
02-28-2009, 12:23 PM
I have not noticed that behavior on either one of my machines. No delays for the LCD screens.

The only time I recall being prompted to enter board thickness was when the board was over 14" or so, wide. That's because there was no room for the Z-truck to measure the thickness at the right-hand side of the machine, as normal.

Semper Fi
02-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Jason, that is exactly what my machine did. Mtylerfl, you have probably answered my second question. I'm not sure that I've ever carved a board that wide before. 13½ inches, but not 14. But, like I said, it carved to the end without any other problems. If this is the worst problems I have, I'm a happy camper! Thanks!

Digitalwoodshop
02-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Al, I'm talking about the Carvewright machine, but thanks for the suggestion.

My bad....

AL

LittleRedWoodshop
02-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Can I ask when your machine started doing this - I am trying to narow it down. The strange thing is the fact that I have 2 machines and only one of them is doing it.

Jeff_Birt
02-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Starting in version 1.132 the machine pre-checks each project after you hit enter. If you have a lot of different items on the project it can take a while for it to check everything. I've had one project take about 1 minute.

While I think it is good for the machine to double check the project, it would be very nice to have the display say something like, "Checking project", instead of being blank and leaving us wondering what is going on.

LittleRedWoodshop
02-28-2009, 01:34 PM
That would explain why one does and the other does not- thank you very much, I thought I was going nuts

Semper Fi
02-28-2009, 01:54 PM
I believe it has at least 5 different operations on that carve. I've only carved maybe 4 projects since going to 1.132. That's probably the explaination for it.

mtylerfl
02-28-2009, 02:29 PM
I guess my projects don't have enough elements to cause the lag - been running 1.132 on both machines and have not noticed the latency you fellows are referring to. I'll try running a project with a "bunch of stuff" to see if I get the delay, too.

Semper Fi
03-03-2009, 05:49 AM
I dropped one of the elements off the carve and used a less wide board. The machine acted normal and measured fine, so I guess that was it. Thanks to all for your help!