PDA

View Full Version : help changing the oc adapter

cwfreitas
02-27-2009, 08:18 PM
When I went to change it out I broke the socket tool. Does anybody know where I can get one with out having to order it and wait a week for shipping? I put the socket tool through the bottom and the wrench on the top and was turning the wrench to the right for counter clockwise and it snapped after I put heat on it.

mtylerfl
02-27-2009, 08:30 PM
When I went to change it out I broke the socket tool. Does anybody know where I can get one with out having to order it and wait a week for shipping? I put the socket tool through the bottom and the wrench on the top and was turning the wrench to the right for counter clockwise and it snapped after I put heat on it.

The wrench needs to be turned clockwise as viewed from the top to unscrew the QC. Two full minutes of heat from a heat gun applied to the top nut of the QC (in the small gap just above the plastic outer housing) is usually all that is required to loosen any thread locker (Loctite). The wrench should be "jerked" in small increments to get it started to unscrew - steady pressure can cause something to break - I think you may have been turning the wrench in the wrong direction (the wrench would be turned to your left - not to the right).

If you do not work fast enough, the thread locker cools and "grips" again, so you will need to apply more heat to soften it to continue.

I do not know of an alternative square socket tool available, although I have read that some folks have ground down a screwdriver, but that's risky - if it is not exactly right, it could "round" the square hole in the top hat and cause you to have to purchase a new spindle. I would order a new square socket tool from CarveWright.

EDIT: I think that rjustice sells a square socket tool - might try doing a search to see if you can locate his contact info - I believe he has posted that here before.

rjustice
02-28-2009, 03:41 AM
Hi Michael,
Yes I am still selling my tools and accessories. I have been very busy and not on for quite a while.... thanks for passing along my info!

Happy Carving,

Ron