PDA

View Full Version : Is this typical?

Autoflow
02-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Hello. First i'd like to introduce myself. My name is Joe I've been reading the forum for a long time got my machine a few months ago but haven't really used it in this cold weather. now that its warmer i started testing its limits.

I tried the scanning probe on a quarter this is the result I got on Best quality. I search the forum and read about the problems some of you have had. Is this scan the best I can expect for something this size? if not what do you think is wrong? the machine and the probe doesn't really vibrate seriously its kinda like a little hum of a vibrate. all the movements are smooth. I was kinda expecting more...

mtylerfl
02-27-2009, 07:33 PM
Hello Joe and Welcome!

Unfortunately, a normal-sized coin is far too small and detailed to scan with the probe and get a satisfactory result, as you have already experienced for yourself (the detail on a coin is also too "flat"). You will need to scan bigger things!

Take a peek at the 3.5" "coins" I scanned a couple years ago - those were big enough to get fairly good detail. I've had a lot of folks make carvings from them and they seem to carve very well.

You can download these (and a few more) FREE coin patterns from:
http://www.carvebuddy.com/coins.html

Autoflow
02-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Thank you. can you think of any generic item or maybe something you have scanned that i might have, that i could scan and then upload just to make sure its working correctly? Im a little worried after reading the other posts.

mtylerfl
02-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Thank you. can you think of any generic item or maybe something you have scanned that i might have, that i could scan and then upload just to make sure its working correctly? Im a little worried after reading the other posts.

Hello,

Maybe you could find an interesting item or two at your local Dollar Store. I wrote a Tips & Tricks newsletter that was dedicated to scanning techniques. You might find that interesting and informative, if you haven't read that already...

- Tips & Tricks ISSUE 9 June 2008
"Scanning Sled Techniques" (http://www.carvebuddy.com/PDFs/CW_TipsandTricks_Newsletters/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Jun08.pdf)

Also, you might enjoy viewing the Scanning Probe video I made a couple years ago...

http://www.carvebuddy.com/scanningvideo_how_it_works.html

eromran
03-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Hello. First i'd like to introduce myself. My name is Joe I've been reading the forum for a long time got my machine a few months ago but haven't really used it in this cold weather. now that its warmer i started testing its limits.

I tried the scanning probe on a quarter this is the result I got on Best quality. I search the forum and read about the problems some of you have had. Is this scan the best I can expect for something this size? if not what do you think is wrong? the machine and the probe doesn't really vibrate seriously its kinda like a little hum of a vibrate. all the movements are smooth. I was kinda expecting more...All though the scan of the quarter does not show the detail one would want a quarter is only about 1 inch and very little relief if you pick something just a little bigger and more relief the results in what the probe picks up is amazing.This Scan is only 1.5-1.75 about 1/2 in. wider than the quarter and much more relief but a big difference in detail.