PDA

View Full Version : Making a cut out. Need help

jtsvstar1100
02-27-2009, 02:54 PM
I'm cutting out a rectangle out of a 1" x 8" x 25" oak.
Will be using a sled so I can't use cut path.
In my pattern I used rectangle tool and then
used "select bit" and chose 1/8 cutting bit.
Changed board settings to 1 1/2" x 8" x 25".
(3/4" Oak + 3/4" Sled = 1 1/2"). Set cut depth .75

Does this sound good to you guys?
Can I cut all the way through the oak 1 pass?

Oh, I will scew the rectangle to the sled so it
won't come loose.

Thx Jeff

Jeff_Birt
02-27-2009, 02:57 PM
From version 1.131 on up you can use the cut-path on a sled. just make sure you set the height of your actual board in Designer. The machine may prompt you on what it should do, use the measured height or the file height. Use the file height (don't remember the exact wording.)

mtylerfl
02-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Of course you can use the Cut Path on your sled! That was one of the main features added to the Designer software starting with version 1.131.

Read the Tips & Tricks - ISSUE 12 September 2008 "Designer 1.131 New Feature Highlights " (http://www.carvebuddy.com/PDFs/CW_TipsandTricks_Newsletters/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Sept08.pdf) for details on how the new Cut Out Control works.

Fantastic feature you will absolutely love. (BTW, issues #6 and #8 have OLD information that no longer applies, due to the updates starting with version 1.131 and beyond).

jtsvstar1100
02-28-2009, 01:11 PM
Thx for your help guys.
Test went well, now I put in the real piece
and it keep saying "load board".

Any thoughts on that?

Thx again

Jeff

Jeff_Birt
02-28-2009, 01:21 PM
Is your board at least 1/2" thick? Have you checked the head pressure?

Digitalwoodshop
02-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Load board can be caused when your rollers are not showing compressed. Use options to view the switch position on the rollers. Compressed and Un Compressed.

Head pressure needs to be correct to get the switches to work properly.

A un level head can cause this too. Use the Z to touch the tip of the bit to the board and use the Z data in options to look at the left and right side of the board.

AL

Like Jeff said too.... 1/2 inch boards need to be loaded on a sled or carrier board.