PDA

View Full Version : question before I begin

flemingswoodworks
02-27-2009, 11:11 AM
should I use a carrier board or sled when making cuts all the way through a board
thanks will

Icutone2
02-27-2009, 11:15 AM
No not needed unless the board is thin.

mtylerfl
02-27-2009, 01:15 PM
There are two main reasons to use a sled (whether there is a cutout or not)...

1) To save wood - a sled/carrier board can provide the extra 7" required to keep a project under the pressure rollers at all times, instead of adding the 7" to the project board itself

2) To run projects on material that is less than a full 1/2"

The Cut Path/Cut Out Control feature, introduced in 1.131 and beyond, enables the software to calculate the proper depth for a cut out on a board, whether a sled is used or not, and automatically place safety tabs to hold the components in place - even on thin material placed on a sled. Fantastic feature!

You may be interested in the upcoming Tips & Tricks. It features a tutorial on creating a simple picture frame with a recessed carve region on the back. The tutorial demontrates how "smart" the cut path feature really is!

Digitalwoodshop
02-27-2009, 02:25 PM
The bit is located in the center between the belts and unless a Z Motor fails, it will stay above the cross piece and the right guide. No problem doing cut path's.... Remember you can use the incremental cut, I usually set it to .25 deep for a .75 thick board.

Good Luck,

Tips and Tricks helps explain it all.

AL

jessrice
02-27-2009, 03:29 PM
So for example,

I wanted to cut out 1/4" thick drink coasters, out of 1/4" thick material. I will mount it to a 3/4" thick sled with 1/4" thick 3 1/2" wide end blocks. Now I have a 1" think board 7" longer than needed, and it is ready to go through the machine.

what depth do i tell designer for the project. 1/4" thick or 1" think. If 1" like i thought, then how do you get the tabs to be in the materiel and not the sled.

I know one of you will set me straight, thanks
Jesse

mtylerfl
02-27-2009, 03:32 PM
So for example,

I wanted to cut out 1/4" thick drink coasters, out of 1/4" thick material. I will mount it to a 3/4" thick sled with 1/4" thick 3 1/2" wide end blocks. Now I have a 1" think board 7" longer than needed, and it is ready to go through the machine.

what depth do i tell designer for the project. 1/4" thick or 1" think. If 1" like i thought, then how do you get the tabs to be in the materiel and not the sled.

I know one of you will set me straight, thanks
Jesse

Hello,

Read the Tips & Tricks - ISSUE 12 September 2008
"Designer 1.131 New Feature Highlights " (http://www.carvebuddy.com/PDFs/CW_TipsandTricks_Newsletters/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Sept08.pdf)

Tells all about how to do cutouts when using a sled. Great feature that was introduced starting with 1.131 and beyond.