PDA

View Full Version : Carving a pattern to more than .8" depth

DickB
02-27-2009, 08:26 AM
I'm not (yet) an owner, but have been evaluating the software and machine capabilities. I have a project that needs to cut a pattern to a 1" depth. I understand that I need to select a bit wider than 1/16" to do this, so I selected 1/4" ballnose under Edit - Board Settings - Select Pattern Bit. I understand this bit will not have the resolution of the narrower bit, but resolution is not needed for this project and in fact the 1/4 radius is an advantage. When I select the pattern and enter a depth of 1", it reverts to .8". Is the machine in fact limited to .8" pattern cuts?

(Perhaps I should have posted this in the Software forum.)

liquidguitars
02-27-2009, 10:34 AM
I understand that I need to select a bit wider than 1/16" to do this, so I selected 1/4" ballnose under Edit - Board Settings - Select Pattern Bit.

I would set it back to the 1/16 carveing under the Edit - Board Settings - Select Pattern Bit.

Select Pattern Bit is just for WYSIWYG, I only use this as pre vis setting when cutting finger boards that need the 1/4", LHR has removed this option " bad call" in version 1.132 but in your case just keep the 1/16" BTW the MAX size is .8" if your board thickness is .75"

LG

Hexe SA
02-27-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm not (yet) an owner, but have been evaluating the software and machine capabilities. I have a project that needs to cut a pattern to a 1" depth. I understand that I need to select a bit wider than 1/16" to do this, so I selected 1/4" ballnose under Edit - Board Settings - Select Pattern Bit. I understand this bit will not have the resolution of the narrower bit, but resolution is not needed for this project and in fact the 1/4 radius is an advantage. When I select the pattern and enter a depth of 1", it reverts to .8". Is the machine in fact limited to .8" pattern cuts?

(Perhaps I should have posted this in the Software forum.)

that is the limit and the bit does matter. You can try and break it up into 2 patterns and use .8" for carving each as a two-sided carving Depends on what you want to do. Sorry didn't want to imply you can carve deaper. I was refering too 2sided unless you want to glue together like the body of the sail boat.
Eva

GrammaPam
02-27-2009, 01:05 PM
Now I'm confused... I thought you couldn't cut deeper than the depth of the bit. I had daydreams of projects that I had been glueing up (laminating) boards together to get edges that were thicker. I will follow this conversation and hopefully learn something new.
G.P.

DickB
02-27-2009, 01:41 PM
that is the limit and you bit does not matter. You can try and break it up into 2 patterns and use .5" each. Depends on what you want to do.
Eva

So the FAQ is wrong?

What is the maximum depth of cut?
The maximum depth of cut is 1.0” with the 1/8” cutting bit and 0.8” with the 1/16” carving bit.

atauer
02-27-2009, 01:42 PM
The maximum depth that the machine can carve is .8 inches.

The maximum depth that can be cut on the machine is 1 inch.

DickB
02-27-2009, 01:47 PM
I would set it back to the 1/16 carveing under the Edit - Board Settings - Select Pattern Bit.

Select Pattern Bit is just for WYSIWYG, I only use this as pre vis setting when cutting finger boards that need the 1/4", LHR has removed this option " bad call" in version 1.132 but in your case just keep the 1/16" BTW the MAX size is .8" if your board thickness is .75"

LG

Really, the machine will not behave differently with a different carving bit selection? In my case the particular pattern doesn't have detail, so a fine bit is not required. I thought a bigger bit could remove material faster and the machine would carve faster. You are saying that this is not the case?

Board is 1-1/2" thick.

DickB
02-27-2009, 01:48 PM
The maximum depth that the machine can carve is .8 inches.

The maximum depth that can be cut on the machine is 1 inch.

Thanks for the clarification. Good to know.

DickB
02-27-2009, 01:57 PM
OK, say I have a 3” x 3” pattern and I want to put two of these on a 6” x 12” x 1-1/2” board. I want the finished board to be ¾” thick except for the pattern areas where the board will be up to 1-1/2” thick. I place two patterns and specify a depth of 0.75”. I define a rout area covering nearly the whole board – 5” x 11” – leaving ½” at the board perimiter untouched (I would cut the perimiter off later - I assume it is needed by the machine). Am I correct that the 1/8” cutter would be used for the bulk of the cutting, and the 1/16” bit for the two 3” x 3” pattern areas only?

cnsranch
02-27-2009, 02:26 PM
OK, say I have a 3” x 3” pattern and I want to put two of these on a 6” x 12” x 1-1/2” board. I want the finished board to be ¾” thick except for the pattern areas where the board will be up to 1-1/2” thick. I place two patterns and specify a depth of 0.75”. I define a rout area covering nearly the whole board – 5” x 11” – leaving ½” at the board perimiter untouched (I would cut the perimiter off later - I assume it is needed by the machine). Am I correct that the 1/8” cutter would be used for the bulk of the cutting, and the 1/16” bit for the two 3” x 3” pattern areas only?

If this is what you want, you designate a carve region on the board .75" deep, and two other carve regions 0" deep. The tops of two smaller regions are then at the surface of the board, edges .75" deep.

The 1/16" carving bit does all the work - the cutting 1/8" bit is only for cutting into, not carving on a project.

mtylerfl
02-27-2009, 02:54 PM

Hello and Welcome!

Not necessarily directly related to your question, but a LOT of your questions (some you haven't even thought of yet) will be answered by reading the Tips & Tricks free newsletters. I think you'll enjoy learning about the various capabilities of the machine, and give you a "leg up" that could put you in a more confident position when you actually start working with your machine.

You can download any/all the Tips & Tricks issues by clicking on the link below my name. Pay particular heed to the Dec '07 and Jan '08 issues - they will help you avoid common "newbie" mistakes and teach you how to properly lube and maintain your machine.

All the Best...