PDA

View Full Version : Rear Roller

starman2
02-25-2009, 04:34 PM
OK, this really has me going bonkers. Hope someone can help. Ill try to keep this short but its a wild problem:

A month ago I had a power supply fail. Other than that my machine was running fine. CW sent a new one, which is in the machine now. Ever since, Ive had nothing but problems. Not sure if they are related or not but here goes:

Continuous rear roller stuck errors, which I clear by freeing the back roller and doing a major cleaning, even though the back roller appears to be free. After MUCH playing around the machine appears to function, but then I get errors saying the board width is small in the Y axis by anywhere from 1/16 to 1/8 inch, when in fact it is dead on the specified width measured with a digital caliper. Again after much goofing around it finally reads the width correctly and proceeds to get the same error in the X axis direction (Length). More cleaning, and goofing will eventually get the machine to run, but the finished piece has drilled holes (1/8 diameter) that are sliightly oblong in the X axis direction.

Ive worked around CNC machinery for may moons, and have had my machine for over ayear so Im well aware of the need for maintenance and cleanliness, but my machine is almost surgery clean and still getting errors as mentioned. If anyone has any ideas other than poking a probe in my eye, I would sure appreciate them.

pine acres woodshop
02-25-2009, 06:10 PM
As far as the holes being oblong, I would check the head pressure if it is to much then it could cause oblong holes,. The back roller being stuck the only time I had that issue is when I would blow the machine out with the rollers still compressed sawdust would get in under the switch so I stopped doing that. As for the measurement difference I would think that might be a head preasure issue also if it is in the length direction, If it is in the width direction I would think that the board sensor is either dirty inside the plastic lens or it is just having a problem seeing the wood, did you try putting tape on the edge of the wood?

Mark

Digitalwoodshop
02-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Drilling is OVAL is caused by Calibration not correct or too along with head pressure like above.

I would also check and see if your head is level. Place a board in the machine and touch the bit to the board on the keypad side. Use Options and look at the Z Encoder data.... touch to the right side of the board and compare numbers. Head may not be level. The screw holding the cross connector gear under the machine comes loose ans it skips a tooth and then the sides are not level.

Also in Options look at the roller switches and crank the head up and down ans see if the switches change from compressed to uncompressed.

Clean the Brass Roller area and look for the O ring.

All that and I would do a Calibration that requires a 3/8 inch bit.

Using options, sensor check is your friend... Lets you see what the computer See's.

AL

DocWheeler
02-25-2009, 06:24 PM
starman2,

I never had a roller problem until I knocked the Blower Deflector off and ran it without it (later found it below the keypad). It is easy to knock off when you take the top off.

I have included a sketch from page 4 of the exploded CW view, and the second attachment is the part number in case you need it.

I ended up gluing it on to keep from knocking it off again.

starman2
02-27-2009, 05:10 AM
Thanks to everyone for the help. Verified that the back roller was free, however even though I had cleaned the switch multiple times, I found an obstruction that was preventing it from signaling the roller state. After taking care of that, and a calibration, all seems fine once again. Thanks again, and I hope I can return the favor sometime.