PDA

View Full Version : Let the games begin

Ike
02-24-2009, 08:05 PM
I think it is safe to say.....The contest take two is on! So this one is even easier! Choose an Easter or Mother's Day theme! Or both!!!

Here are the guidelines, have fun have fun have fun! Other then that this is a sign / plaque only project! Be creative it can be a poem, cut in any shape painted and finished in your own artistic way!

Only rule it must be carved using the CW / CC, then you can use any other tools at your disposal to finish the project. If you rather use your band saw, jig saw, coping saw etc to cut the shape go for it!

There will be only one entry class and again give a brief description on the steps you took to make the sign / plaque. Plus submit a few photos of the finished product. Please share your mpc and remember if you use a commercial pattern do not include it in the mpc. Just show it in your photos and let other members where you bought the pattern.

Easter is April 12th and Mother's day May 10 2009, so let's make the deadline April 10th for the deadline. This gives us all 45 days to submit your entry.

I am excited to see the signs / plaques that will be submitted. Now no excuses for any member if you have a machine submit an entry!!!!

Ike

Ike
02-25-2009, 10:54 AM
Any thoughts on this? I have a feeling we are going to to have more members participate in the sign/ plaque contest, Since we will only have on class I will need to break it down in sections, due to the limited entries I can post to be voted on.

My thoughts are taking the the most voted project and and then place them into another poll to determine the favorite. For example say there is 50 entries, so there will be 5 sections of 10 entries. We take the the most voted for each section and then from there vote the best from the the top 5 to determine the winner. This time I will make a first, second and third place to receive a prize.

Give me your thoughts on my idea or suggest a better one! I hope to have an even bigger turn out! I am thrilled from how many entered the last contest and look forward to this contest.

This contest is opened to ALL MEMBERS if you are a moderator or a part of LHR demonstrating or design patterns or projects. Enter the contest, it is for fun and friendly competition!

I plan on giving the prizes, but if any member would like to donate a prize I am open to any offers!

Ike

HelpBot3000
02-25-2009, 11:21 AM
Hey, I like it! I liked the first contest too though. Any excuse to get some more finished projects for me to check out. :D

Ike
02-25-2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks Barry, it has been a blast doing this and as time goes on I hope to get more CW/CC related prizes! Until then soda products will have to do!

Ike

atauer
02-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Hey, I'll enter for some free soda. 'Specially that chuckwagon soda. A good friend of mine said it was really good.

Maybe I'll work on something to enter.

Ike
02-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Hey, I'll enter for some free soda. 'Specially that chuckwagon soda. A good friend of mine said it was really good.

Maybe I'll work on something to enter.
As advertised,...."it's Soda-Licious!!" It is good stuff and I can get soda kits with all the flavors you mix with club soda, in bottles and even Root beer, Vanilla cream, Orange cream BBQ sauce and horseradish hot mustard! Not to mention the cool cups!

Ike

Ike
02-25-2009, 12:57 PM
A good friend bought up some ideas on having the contests. I enjoy for lack of a better word hosting them, but every month would take the fun out of it! I ran with another one because a sign project had favorable response.

The ideal is having a contest every quarter, maybe trying to fall on holidays months. Plus I know it has been brought up before, but maybe once a year having the contest where members meet and the can vote first hand? The thing is my opinion we would need more support from LHR to do this. Something that can be offered for anybody to attend for a set price. Say making it a 3 day event and have workshops for members and those who are thinking of buying the machine. Be able to meet the owners and start new friendships among members! With enough attendance it would be cool to have a BBQ catered and maybe box lunches during the day and maybe the first day a reception with finger food etc.

Anyway if there are any other thoughts out there please share!

Ike

wasacop75
02-25-2009, 03:52 PM
With Jason getting ready to open that new store in a couple of months, that might be a great way for lots of us to get together and learn some new things from each other.

Just a thought...:-D

Ike
02-26-2009, 12:40 PM
With Jason getting ready to open that new store in a couple of months, that might be a great way for lots of us to get together and learn some new things from each other.

Just a thought...:-D
That is a great thought and I welcome more! I see that a few members are not thrilled with the idea and to their input is just as important as the members who are for it. I know there is 2 sides to every story and in every relationship collaboration is a must! No not compromise, but collaboration! When we compromise both sides loose, but when we collaborate both sides win.

This forum and members have helped me in ways I can't express, so holding these fun contest is a way for me to give back to the community. So please share your thoughts I don't want to appear I am trying to take over this process.

Keep them coming friends!

Ike

Dan-Woodman
02-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Geting together would be a great idea. BUT, on the other side of the coin everything is at a standstill here in the midwest. For the first time in over 37 years, I'm unemployed. They're not calling it "unemployed " , they call it" temperary department shutdown " for at least 30 days or more. I wouldn't have ant trouble entering a contest , but traveling out of state would be out of the question.
later Daniel

Ike
02-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Geting together would be a great idea. BUT, on the other side of the coin everything is at a standstill here in the midwest. For the first time in over 37 years, I'm unemployed. They're not calling it "unemployed " , they call it" temperary department shutdown " for at least 30 days or more. I wouldn't have ant trouble entering a contest , but traveling out of state would be out of the question.
later Daniel

Daniel I really understand switching business' myself and up to my eye balls in debt. If this doesn't work out I am in trouble. I am limited to the things I can do because of my health.

For now the contests will be fine through the forum!

Ike

Hexe SA
02-27-2009, 10:14 AM
when LHR is at the shows the could make a workshop, get together for owners who attend. Doesn't have to be fancy. Couple of hours or a lunch meet everyone brings their own to exchange knowledge, ideas, brag etc. Lets face it the US is kinda spread out. If you consider that Beaumont Texas is closer to Chicago Illinois than El Paso Texas (947 miles vs 997 miles) regional or state would be better.
Eva

LittleRedWoodshop
02-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Not trying to pirate IKES thread here but, has anyone seen that thing they call the CNC Art Guild of America. Would be a great way to find people in your area to have Meetings or Get-Togethers with. www.CncArtGuild.com (http://cncartguild.com/).

You will also find information on there about an annual conference. We were really pushing to get that done until the economy went to pot. We are now up in the air and waiting to see what happens. It would be an July or August event. Any ideas feel free to contact me.

Ike
02-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Not trying to pirate IKES thread here but, has anyone seen that thing they call the CNC Art Guild of America. Would be a great way to find people in your area to have Meetings or Get-Togethers with. www.CncArtGuild.com (http://cncartguild.com/).

You will also find information on there about an annual conference. We were really pushing to get that done until the economy went to pot. We are now up in the air and waiting to see what happens. It would be an July or August event. Any ideas feel free to contact me.

Jason, not to worry just trying to figure out a way to get LHR involved. If not the contest can be held through the forum. I would like some help on the prizes, I can offer some soda-licious old fashion soda, but something else would be nice to be offered.

If we need to meet on our own so be it, I just know from attending another CNC maker event it was offered to anyone. It promoted the machine and having owners their to share what they do with the CW it sold CW. Maybe because it is not a commercial machine and a hobby type? Still the results are great!

Well the focus of this post is the current contest. This is a sign only contest and no level of experience. The theme will be either Easter or Mother's day or both! I can't wait to see the great signs!

Ike