PDA

View Full Version : The dragon box

TerryT
02-24-2009, 06:26 PM
My apologies to the dragon plaque. I wasn't trying to steal his thunder, just had a dragon box done at about the same time. I just carved this a couple of days ago and have made a few changes to improve the looks and functionality for future carves. Almost straight out of the machine, no sanding and NO FINISH on it yet. Just two coats of sanding sealer. Thanks, to whom ever posted the pattern of the dragon.

brdad
02-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Very cool, and as far as I am concerned I hope no one restrains from posting because someone else had something similar or any other reason! You're not stealing my thunder, you're making me want to go make my own box now!

A box of some form is definitely in the future for me. How much of the box did you do on the CW? Best or Optimal? How big is it?

woodslicer
02-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Looks Great! :) After your advice I got 2 Indian carvings done & they turned out excellence. Hope to be able to produce a great looking box like yours in the near future. We'll talk soon.

James RS
02-24-2009, 06:57 PM
I like it, nice job!

TerryT
02-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Brdad,
Your plaque is fantastic. I thought about waiting a while longer to post another dragon project but decided they were different enough to not pose a problem. The box was done entirely on the CW. With only the 1/16 carve bit. All cutting was done with my miter saw and the lid edge was done on my router table. Other than that it was totaly a carvewright project.

David!!! Way to go! I'm glad you got it going finally. Two carves is about enough to get you really hooked. Heheheh your in it now buddy. Now you gotta get going on those projects you have been waiting on for a few weeks. I think you have a plan that will bring in a few bucks and I KNOW Barb is ready to help with the design and finishing. If you need anything just give me a call.

mtylerfl
02-25-2009, 08:25 AM
Great-looking Dragon box! Very nice project - Congratulations!

RayTrek
02-25-2009, 10:20 AM
That is awesome Terry I enjoy all your projects this one I may try myself if I can get caught up on some of the other projects I have going
Good Day
Ray

CraigBrownDesigns
02-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Nice work! Lots of detailed sanding. Looks great!

PlateCarver
02-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Great looking box and detail................. Good Work

SharonB
02-25-2009, 10:53 PM
Terry...I really, really like your box/chest. What is the carving time on something like this? SharonB

newcarver
02-26-2009, 09:19 PM
Can't wait to carve it

SharonB
02-26-2009, 10:09 PM
Terry...thank you for sharing the mpc files. I'm looking forward to carving your box just as soon as I find the right board. SharonB

James RS
02-27-2009, 03:36 AM
Thank you Terry, I have to add this to my list of things I compiled over the winter can't wait.

Again Thank you

dkarcher
02-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Thanks for sharing Terry. Can't wait to run it!

Steven Alford
03-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Terry...thank you for sharing the mpc files. I'm looking forward to carving your box just as soon as I find the right board. SharonB

So where is this shared mpc file? Would like to add this to my project list.
Thanks,

Steve

TerryT
03-01-2009, 06:34 PM
The three mpc's are in a post just above this.

For those wanting to make this box, I used 1/8 in ply for the bottom. Just run the bottom of each piece through the table saw with the blade set at 1/8 to 1/4 high and cut a dado in each piece for the bottom to fit into.

I also cut "feet" out of scrap and glued in place.

Steven Alford
03-01-2009, 07:08 PM
The three mpc's are in a post just above this.

For those wanting to make this box, I used 1/8 in ply for the bottom. Just run the bottom of each piece through the table saw with the blade set at 1/8 to 1/4 high and cut a dado in each piece for the bottom to fit into.

I also cut "feet" out of scrap and glued in place.

Not sure what that means, but I searched through the "Gallery" and the pattern sharing post and found nothing. If anyone has a direct link to this mpc's, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Steve

Steven Alford
03-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Never mind said the blind man!!!
I some how passed them right up in this post.
Sorry guys.

Steve

Tom75
03-02-2009, 11:15 AM
just one qustion .on the width do you just use a 4 inch wide pice or do you have to add a little like you would to the length to stay under the rolles ? can not weight to try this thank you for sharing the project and great job . i still have more to learn .

TerryT
03-02-2009, 05:48 PM
just one qustion .on the width do you just use a 4 inch wide pice or do you have to add a little like you would to the length to stay under the rolles ? can not weight to try this thank you for sharing the project and great job . i still have more to learn .

I used a 4 inch wide piece. Any wider or narrower and the machine will want to scale it. But make sure you add 7 inches to the length of the real board. Then just cut the pieces with a miter saw.

Tom75
03-02-2009, 08:56 PM
thank you i hope to start carving it this week . when i get it done i will post a pic . and thank you for sharing with all of us . have a good night