PDA

View Full Version : Sailboat Project Completed

SharonB
02-24-2009, 04:14 PM
Just finished the sailboat project. Had to wait almost 2 weeks for the barometer to come. I certainly like the results that I get from Michael's projects and look forward to receiving them each month.
Have the clock project ready for the machine. Just need to request shop time as my husband and his partner are busy with their projects. SharonB

atauer
02-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Sharon,

That is beautiful! I love the finish!

Maybe your husband will find a new "partner in carve"...

I could think of one eligible candidate.

mtylerfl
02-25-2009, 08:47 AM
Wonderful, Sharon! You do such great finishing work!!

Icutone2
02-25-2009, 09:02 AM
Great job! What type of wood did you use? I made one out of poplar and the sails are out of aspen, still have the sails to carve will post soon.
Again looks great.
Lee

RayTrek
02-25-2009, 10:28 AM
Hello SharonB
Wow! That came out beautiful.
I just looked up Crooked River Ranch you live in beautiful part of the state not to far from wear we are Rhododendron
Cheers to you for a great project very well done.
Ray

CraigBrownDesigns
02-25-2009, 11:41 AM
Nicely done! Sharp!

PlateCarver
02-25-2009, 04:38 PM
Great conversation piece. Did you use different woods or ??

SharonB
02-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice compliments. It's so easy to make great projects from Michael's patterns...greatest investment I ever made was buying the Pattern of the Month subscription. The boat/sails/stand was made from Lowes-select popular. Here in Central Oregon we don't have a good source of woods. Now, I shouldn't say that...today I found an outlet for hardwoods. Don't know if I can afford to buy from them but they said I was welcome to come look over their supply at any time. Got the clock project cut out today....start sanding tomorrow. SharonB

Ray....have been through Rhododendron several times...I'll wave the next time we go through there.

chebytrk
02-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Hi Guys,
I'm EXTREMELY new at all this and always get excited when I see what some of the people have done here. I'm so new at this that I can't even say what I've done with my CW. My question is how does someone know what type of wood to use for any given project? I know, I just gave away my ignorance on my skills and know-how. I'm also a member of the month club, but I don't recall ever seeing the type of wood recommended for a project. I see the stains and some tools, but never the type of wood to use. I wish there was some place that I could go to and learn more about carving. Seems like there's nothing around Dallas, Tx. If anyone lives around here please let me know if you're willing to show an ol' codger some tips n tricks with the CW. Thanks everyone.

atauer
02-26-2009, 02:59 PM
chebytrk,

The wood that is used for the project depends on user preference. Many have found that a tight-grained hardwood will carve better than a softer wood. Which type you use for projects is up to you. There is not a set type for each project. Heck, most of the projects I have run for tests have been in pine and they came out beautiful. Yeah, there is going to be some cleanup, but that is normal in woodworking, right?

Anyways, just play around with scrap material until your familiarized with the machine and software. This is the cheapest/easiest way to go. You don't want to go killing your wallet by experimenting on expensive hardwoods.

Well, I hope I answered your question. If you have any more questions, just ask and you will get more assistance than you can handle from these guys.

Have fun and happy carvings!

Hexe SA
10-27-2009, 03:42 PM
This is my project and it took forever until I found the wood I wanted. Base is walnut, hull is cherry, rope and deck are longhi and the sails are staghorn sumac all with 3 coats of spar varnish. This project lets the woods and grains speak for itself.
Eva

skeeterman
10-27-2009, 03:47 PM
that is awsome great work
steve

dbfletcher
10-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Very nice!

PCW
10-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Eva,

Excellent Job!

mtylerfl
10-28-2009, 08:10 AM
This is my project and it took forever until I found the wood I wanted. Base is walnut, hull is cherry, rope and deck are longhi and the sails are staghorn sumac all with 3 coats of spar varnish. This project lets the woods and grains speak for itself.
Eva

Wowee! That is fantastic! The way you incorporated the wood-grains and wood types is gorgeous.

I reposted a photo of your project for you (in jpg format) for folks to be able to view it a little easier here on the forum.