PDA

View Full Version : Old to new version Z Truck replacement

MikeMcCoy
02-24-2009, 07:07 AM
I've just spent an hour searching and reading posts so thought I would ask. I had a board sensor problem so figured I would replace the old version of the z truck while I had the machine open since I have the z pack bundle but no instructions. There is a small ribbon cable coming up out of the back of the truck that has no termination point on the new circuit board on the z pack??? I also received some new cable but it isn't real obvious how it should be ran. A point in the right direction would be appreciated. I found Al's pictures for the new ribbon cable so that one is covered.

Jeff_Birt
02-24-2009, 08:03 AM
Michael has a copy over on his website: http://carvebuddy.com/PDFs/Z_Pak_Install_Instructions.pdf

The new ribbon cable replaces the old ribbon cable.

MikeMcCoy
02-24-2009, 08:25 AM
Thanks Jeff

There isn't a mention of the smaller ribbon cable as shown in page 3 of those instructions. The circuit board on the new Z pack has no termination point for that cable.

Jeff_Birt
02-24-2009, 09:08 AM
It is no longer used. Tape over the end and leave it dissconnected or pull really hard on it and you will unplug it from the other end.

Dan-Woodman
02-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Jeff
Is it used if you still have the old z-truck ? The one I have looks like it has the spacer around the lower bearing of the spindle.
Did you come up to the wood show in Overland Park?
later Daniel

Jeff_Birt
02-24-2009, 06:22 PM
The little ribbon cable was used for the probe connection and the homing sensor. The new machine firmware does not use the home sensor and will work with the probe connection on either the Z-truck or the cover connector. (You use the cover connector if you have the new Z-truck). All Z-trucks have the ring( spacer) you mentioned. There is one around both spindle bearings in fact.

I went to the St. Louis show the week before. It was about 1.5 hours closer to where I live.

earlyrider
02-25-2009, 11:23 AM
What is the reason for the spacers? I've seen them work loose on my machine (and Al's photos). I suspect they work themselves loose and slide out due to excess vibration from worn tool bits or excess load or whatever.
There are other high speed spindles with brngs that use only the wavy washer but no spacer/shim/damper/whatever. Why isn't the truck cut to fit the brngs directly?
Ron

Digitalwoodshop
02-25-2009, 11:40 AM
I found the spacer in a Bearing Catalog and it is used as a damper since the cutting bit produces so much vibration and side to side motion. It is like little shock absorbers holding the bearing centered within the Z truck. After I looked at it, I thought it was "Smart Engineering" in my opinion. Picture if you took a metal case electric drill and held it hard to a wooden table. It would amplify all the vibration and noise of the gear box. By placing the damper between the bearing and the lower Truck it helps with bearing longevity.

That is just my opinion and I have been found WRONG before on this forum and corrected my thinking... I am always open to new ideas, thoughts, and corrections. Part of Learning.

(I thought the x motor was powered by 115 volts.... No..... It's same as the Y and Z.... :( I got confused because the Cut Motor Q1 is also on the X Termination board too....)

AL

earlyrider
02-25-2009, 12:10 PM
The other spindles I was thinking of were hand-held, making me the vibration damper, evidently. Like Ford's Model T, "The passengers ARE the shock absorbers!" I guess it makes sense if the vibration is due to the cutter against the wood. Thanks.
Ron

Jeff_Birt
02-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Think about the big router bits beating against the wood at 20K rpm * 2 flutes = 40K beats per second. Yes, I think the tolerancing rings are a great idea too.