PDA

View Full Version : cant locate new project designs to upload

harryk
02-23-2009, 07:34 AM
hi I a newbie, just purchased a carvewright machine, each time I try to save a new project I get an sql eror notification saying "too much data in row", and it wo'nt save, so I reduce the board size and then it saves, but after that I can't find it to upload to the flash card, when I do see it again is when I repeat the previous action and is prompted to save, and eventhough I can see the named filewhen I try to upload it, it does'nt upload, and the name of the stored location is not seen, can you please help! Thanks

MikeMcCoy
02-23-2009, 07:41 AM
I may be mistaken but uhless you assigned a different directory, mine is stored as this path:

C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\CarveWright

mtylerfl
02-23-2009, 08:00 AM
Hello Harry,

Do a search with the quotes "sql error"

You'll find some info that will help you (the image is too large in filesize).:)

Jeff_Birt
02-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Harry, as Michael says that error is caused by the image you are trying to import being way too big. Try reducing the scale of the image before trying to import it into Designer.

harryk
02-23-2009, 12:09 PM
I may be mistaken but uhless you assigned a different directory, mine is stored as this path:

C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\CarveWright

Thanks Mike they're not there, I can see them in a file that is a sub category of My favorites, but I cant upload them or find my favorites from any other locatation other then when I am asked to name and save a current file. Thanks, any other advice will be appreciated.

harryk
02-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Harry, as Michael says that error is caused by the image you are trying to import being way too big. Try reducing the scale of the image before trying to import it into Designer.

Hi Jeff thanks for your assistant, the files were saved too big as you said, but now I still ca'nt locate the file My Favorites where they are saved, and can only see them when I am prompted to save a current project, no matter where I look. do you have any thoughts on this problem?

Jeff_Birt
02-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Harry,

On your problem of importing too big of an image. What version of Designer are you using? I believe they fixed the issue with importing too large an image a few releases ago. I could not duplicate the problem with Version 1.132.

As far as saving files. Are you referring to your project files (the board) or the images you are importing (and concerting to patterns)?

harryk
02-23-2009, 12:20 PM
[QUOTE=mtylerfl;82038]Hello Harry,

Do a search with the quotes "sql error"

You'll find some info that will help you (the image is too large in filesize).:)

[/QUOTE/ I can see saved PNC files in a sub category of My favorites, but I cant upload them or find my favorites from any other locatation other then when I am asked to name and save a current file. Thanks, any other advice will be appreciated.

cnsranch
02-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Harry, Mike gave you the path to find your patterns (ptn's) - take a look here to find your projects (mpc's):

C:\Program Files\CarveWright\My Projects

harryk
02-23-2009, 12:23 PM

Where can I find my saved pnc files, I can see them in a file that is a sub category of My favorites, but I cant upload them or find My favorites from any other locatation other then when I am asked to name and save a current file. Thanks, any other advice will be appreciated.

Jeff_Birt
02-23-2009, 12:25 PM
OK, PTN files (the images you are importing are converted to pattern files) are saved in an internal database. You can however 'export' them to individual files if you need to. To use one just open up the pattern window (shell icon) and click on the pattern you want to use and then click on the board to place it. You can right click on any pattern you have added to the library to delete it or export it.

harryk
02-23-2009, 12:27 PM
Harry,

On your problem of importing too big of an image. What version of Designer are you using? I believe they fixed the issue with importing too large an image a few releases ago. I could not duplicate the problem with Version 1.132.

As far as saving files. Are you referring to your project files (the board) or the images you are importing (and concerting to patterns)?

The new files that were created using imported jpegs from file.

Jeff_Birt
02-23-2009, 12:30 PM
See my reply above. Somehow we got out of sync. :)

mtylerfl
02-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Where can I find my saved pnc files, I can see them in a file that is a sub category of My favorites, but I cant upload them or find My favorites from any other locatation other then when I am asked to name and save a current file. Thanks, any other advice will be appreciated.

Hello Harry,

When you use "Save As" you choose the directory location of where you save your mpc files. Just like any other software program - you create whatever directory you wish, and save your files wherever you wish. (I'm assuming you mean "mpc" files since there is no such thing as a "pnc" file.)

When you use the "Save" function, your files will be saved in the last directory you were in the last time you opened or saved a file. Just pay mind to the directory path, and you will find your files.

I recommend saving your files in directories you create yourself, so you'll have an organized method of locating your files that you create. If any of this is unclear, you may want to enlist the help of a computer-savvy "guru" to come over to give you a hand. It'll take about 30 seconds to show you how to manage your files/directories, and you'll never have the problem again.:)

mtylerfl
02-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Oh - is that what he was talking about - ptn files?

OK, no worries - they are all in his Pattern Library. I thought he was trying to save his mpc files and couldn't find where he saved them! Computer 101 stuff.

harryk
02-23-2009, 02:01 PM
See my reply above. Somehow we got out of sync. :)

Thanks Jeff the headache is gone! I've found my files just where you said they would be, I do'nt think I'd ever find them without your imput and others in this forum. Thanks alot! I'm an artist and I am trying to use the carv wright software program to duplicate portrait features from a photo, so far the effects look like a raised pancake, is there a way to make features like the nose be raised higher than the cheekbones or chin? Thanks

harryk
02-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Hello Harry,

When you use "Save As" you choose the directory location of where you save your mpc files. Just like any other software program - you create whatever directory you wish, and save your files wherever you wish. (I'm assuming you mean "mpc" files since there is no such thing as a "pnc" file.)

When you use the "Save" function, your files will be saved in the last directory you were in the last time you opened or saved a file. Just pay mind to the directory path, and you will find your files.

I recommend saving your files in directories you create yourself, so you'll have an organized method of locating your files that you create. If any of this is unclear, you may want to enlist the help of a computer-savvy "guru" to come over to give you a hand. It'll take about 30 seconds to show you how to manage your files/directories, and you'll never have the problem again.:)

Ok this make sense, except for the fact that the program did'nt give me that option, they all went to an assigned directory apparently, but I got the solution now. thanks alot.

harryk
02-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Hello Harry,

thanks Mike I got the solution!

mtylerfl
02-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Thanks Jeff the headache is gone! I've found my files just where you said they would be, I do'nt think I'd ever find them without your imput and others in this forum. Thanks alot! I'm an artist and I am trying to use the carv wright software program to duplicate portrait features from a photo, so far the effects look like a raised pancake, is there a way to make features like the nose be raised higher than the cheekbones or chin? Thanks

Hello Harry,

Glad you got the file situation sorted out.

You can experiment with lighter grey shades on the parts that are too low, by editing in your photo editing software. Dark areas generally are recessed lower as the shade becomes darker - light areas are generally higher. I say "generally" because that's the way greyscale heightmaps are read by all other systems - sometimes the CarveWright system reverses this standard - just use the "Invert" tool to make it appear correctly.

In a photo, shadows under a nose or whatever, will carve a deep recess and will look odd. These areas need to be lightened so that they will carve at the proper level to look right. It can be somewhat tedious, but certainly doable, to accomplish a nice result via a photo editing program. Some trial and error is invloved. Edit - save - import into Designer - look at it - if it's not right - go back and edit some more until it is like you want it.

The ultimate, and often best, solution is to model the photo as a 2½D model and create the greyscale heightmap from that. Programs like ArtCAM Pro (http://www.artcampro.com/) and Aspire (http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/aspire/aspire_index.html) are great for creating high-quality models from photos. ArtCAM Pro will output a nice greyscale, but at the present, Aspire cannot. By the way, the Aspire software may have that feature very soon!:)