PDA

View Full Version : pic settings help

mrstevens26
02-22-2009, 09:13 PM
i have read threads on lithos, but do the same settings apply to carving scenery pics in wood? also when changing file from jpg to png at what point do i do that?

fwharris
02-22-2009, 10:04 PM
i have read threads on lithos, but do the same settings apply to carving scenery pics in wood? also when changing file from jpg to png at what point do i do that?

Pictures on wood are a little different that lithos. Usually you will need to lower the heght to less that 100 depending on the amount of detail in the picture.. Best method to find out is to change the depth/height settings, zoom in on your carving detail in designer and rotate the board at different angles/views to see who it looks.

You should change your pic from jpg to png as the first step before you do any changes to it.

mrstevens26
02-22-2009, 10:30 PM
thanks the pic i am trying to carve is here: http://www.sacredheartaugusta.org/downloads/mediakit/SH_Pics/SH_exterior.jpg. the pic is fairly large. will try playing around.

mtylerfl
02-23-2009, 08:20 AM

Hello,

Perhaps the Tips & Tricks issue # 11 may help you.

Changing a file from a jpg to a png does not improve the quality of the original photo. The main reason for a conversion of a jpg to png is so you can make a solid background transparent prior to importing into Designer.

If you start out with a low-quality (overly compressed) jpg and change it to a png, the artifacts will still be present.

Try to begin with a very high quality photo that has not been compressed (such as a tif), then re-save as a png. If you are taking photos yourself, use the highest quality your camera provides (which will probably be a high-quality jpg with no, or minimal, compression applied). Then you can resave your photos (via your photo editor) as pngs at smaller size without quality loss. Importing photos into Designer that are too large will result in a sql error.

mrstevens26
02-23-2009, 10:29 AM
thanks for the help but one more question. the pic i am trying to carve has alot of detail. now i know the 1/16 carving bit will only put so much detail in it. but has any one tried to use a 1/32 bit after using the 1/16 to carve slightly deeper to gain anymore detail? pic:http://www.sacredheartaugusta.org/downloads/mediakit/SH_Pics/SH_exterior.jpg

mtylerfl
02-23-2009, 11:15 AM
thanks for the help but one more question. the pic i am trying to carve has alot of detail. now i know the 1/16 carving bit will only put so much detail in it. but has any one tried to use a 1/32 bit after using the 1/16 to carve slightly deeper to gain anymore detail? pic:http://www.sacredheartaugusta.org/downloads/mediakit/SH_Pics/SH_exterior.jpg

Hello,

Carving a photo on wood and making it look good, can be very challenging. I'm not sure additional detail using a smaller carving bit would help it look better, or worse! (I'm guessing it would be worse.)

The only way to tell for sure is to try it and compare the results. Keeping the photo at a low height/depth setting sometimes helps too. Close-grained hardwood (no oak) may help as well.

Photo carves on Corian have really great detail using only the 1/16" stock carving bit. As you know, even Corian photo lithos all look "icky" until you backlight them from behind - - then they look absolutely phenomenal!

Please post photos of your finished carve so we can see how you made out.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have not been able to view your photo - all I can view is a box with a red "x" in it - appears to be a broken link?