PDA

View Full Version : Dragon plaque

brdad
02-22-2009, 07:36 PM
I am working on this for my niece's birthday. it is about 10" high and 14" wide and carved from maple. I used the new optimal setting but it didn't seem to carve any better than best used to. Hopefully the grain was just going the wrong way. I think it took about 6 hours. Secondly, the machine just quit and went to the main menu at about 90% carve. I did as I have learned here and made a new carve file with a 0 depth carve region over what had finished. That worked fine, outside of it carved just enough deeper to put a nice line in the project that had to be sanded out. Also, the cutting bit broke doing the outline, that may have been my fault, I bumped the board while reloading the project and it might have been straightening out.

So I put everything aside for a few weeks. I bought adapters for my scroll saw so they would take the small spiral blades to cut the perimeter. Today I cleaned the project up and it's looking pretty good I think which makes me feel better.

Thanks to whoever posted the dragon file here in the forums - once again I wish the CW files would allow putting the authors name & copyright info in the actual file so we would know who to thank or get permission to use these things!

The text is "Jessica" in Chinese, which I obtained from this site (http://chineseculture.about.com/library/name/blname.htm).

Now I just have to decide how to finish it.

DocWheeler
02-22-2009, 07:44 PM
brdad,

Darned nice! I like the pattern you created to frame it.
I'll bet you had something to say when it stopped at 90%!

mtylerfl
02-22-2009, 08:31 PM
... Today I cleaned the project up and it's looking pretty good I think which makes me feel better...Now I just have to decide how to finish it.

That looks really great. Can't tell there was any problem at all. Good job!

Chinese designs always look good with some red, gold and black - but I certainly wouldn't paint over all the wood (if at all) - leave some of the beautiful maple grain to show, of course.

SharonB
02-22-2009, 09:08 PM
That is a VERY NICE plaque. I like the idea of putting the name Chinese...I'm writing that site down for future use. Your niece will love you all the more for such a wonderful gift.
SharonB

www.go3d.us
02-22-2009, 11:14 PM
It's a nice plaque. I think the carving is deeper than necessary. I think most carving should be around .25 - .35 is enough to show depth in it, it help cut down the carve time and also prolong the life of the machine.
But it's a personal choice. Great job!

James RS
02-23-2009, 03:47 AM
Very nice job, I also am noting the name site

RayTrek
02-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Very nice! I find it great that you did not give up but instead came up with fixes I was thought by a wood worker many years ago that most miss haps can be fixed.
Thanks for sharing your project with us.
Ray

brdad
02-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Doc, I am a very mild-mannered person. But it's probably just as well no CW reps were in throwing range!

mtylerfl, those are the colors I am considering, and most likely green as well as the primary color of the dragon. I am going to try some of the pearlized or metallic acrylic craft paint (On a test piece first, of course!). You or anyone had any experience with pearlized paints? Then backdrop will be clear or maybe a real light stain. The border I am still undecided on. Any suggestions welcome.

go3d.us, the carving depth is .38 max - the dragon could have been carved shallower, .3 would probably be no problem, but I love the outer border having the depth it has. As you say, personal choice and the border was my reasoning for keeping it deep.

Thanks again, I'll post a finished photo when the painting is complete.

mtylerfl
02-23-2009, 07:04 PM
mtylerfl, those are the colors I am considering, and most likely green as well as the primary color of the dragon. I am going to try some of the pearlized or metallic acrylic craft paint (On a test piece first, of course!). You or anyone had any experience with pearlized paints?

Hello,

There are quite a few "painting experts" here! FWHarris, Betty_Woodall, SharonB, and Raytrek come to mind - but there are more (especially if you count spouses of carvers!)

Specifically, I recall SharonB used very cool metallics and "Interference paints" made by the Golden company with her trout project. I ended up buying just about every paint she recommended (and then some), but have yet to put them to use!

I did a search, and found her original post: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=8472&highlight=trout.

If you read through the entire post, she gives some details about the paints and process she uses. If you've not seen the results before, you're going to be blown away! Do a search for FW's, Betty's and RayTrek's project postings - they'll knock your socks off too!

mtylerfl
02-24-2009, 09:21 AM
Hello,

I just noticed a very informative pdf tutorial posted by FWHarris that describes his painting techniques. I'm sure you will enjoy it and find it helpful. He uses regular and pearlescent paints on his fish, based in part on SharonB's technique. Here is the link:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=10388

RayTrek
02-25-2009, 10:06 AM
Brdad,

Thank you Michael for your comment I enjoy airbrush painting but have not picked it up for awhile because the CW brings so much more enjoyment,
Here are the colors I use for pearls and metallic you can brush them on. First I do the sanding and staining and at least one coat finish then I apply paints before the last finish coats. The site provided gives lots of tips about base and medium colors the best is to try different things on a test piece of similar wood
http://www.dickblick.com/products/auto-air-pearlized-colors-series-4300/

PlateCarver
02-25-2009, 04:41 PM
excellent... I really love how you cut out the frame....

brdad
03-08-2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the tips and pdf on finishing. While not up to par with many of the projects posted here, we are pleased the the results, and more pleased it is completed a few weeks before the recipients birthday! We (wife is the artist) had to improvise some since there is not a great selection of the paints specified listed. I'll have to order some online or visit a bigger city before the next project like this.

TerryT
03-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Very nice and beautifully painted.

mtylerfl
03-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Nice job! My compliments to the artist! (That was a lot of work painting the details!)

fwharris
03-08-2009, 02:41 PM
My compliments to you and your artist! Looks great and really like the color combinations that were used.

Great job my both of you!!

geekviking
03-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Came out AWESOME! Very nice usage of colors!

Kenm810
03-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Brdad, Nice Team Work

Well Done, Your finished Dragon Plaque project really looks terrific !!

Ike
03-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Wow, it looks ceramic finished, great job!

Ike

usd5000000
03-10-2009, 11:34 AM
I need a dragon pattern for a flute case for my daughter. I like how your pattern carved. Where did you get it?

Thanks,
Jeff

brdad
03-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the nice comments. Yes, it does look like ceramic, even in person!

I need a dragon pattern for a flute case for my daughter. I like how your pattern carved. Where did you get it?

Thanks,
Jeff

I was afraid someone was going to ask that! It is in the pattern sharing (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=2046) section of the forums, one of several dragons that are in there, you just have to look and look and look! I searched and found where I got the dragon I used, it was this thread:
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?p=45634&highlight=Dragon#post45634

usd5000000
03-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks much. Looks like it was not stolen so it should be OK. I wouldn't want to use stolen merchandise. I used to have a software company so I can empathize. I may use a different design eventually anyway. Something longer since the aspect ratio of the case is long and skinny.

Next time I go to China I'll try to buy some stuff to scan. They don't really have copyright laws there and they probably passed their dragon and tiger designs down for thousands of years so the copyright would have expired :D I just have to figure out how to use my scanning probe. (and find time)

Nice painting. I think I may keep mine natural.

Jeff

SevenCubed
03-27-2009, 08:31 PM
I like the scalloped edges! I know it adds a lotta machine-hours, but I, too, really like to have a mostly-recessed work area with some raised forms in it. I don't like puttin' that much mileage on my CW, but I DO like the result.