PDA

View Full Version : One more thing I don't understand.

jiml
02-21-2009, 06:03 PM
I know I'm pretty low in the food chain on this forum but maybe somebody can help me to understand this. The blower pulls the dirty air across the mechanicals and electronics then thru the cut motor THEN it gets filtered and sent out into the shop. Wouldn't it make more sense to FILTER the air run it thru the cut motor across the electronics/mechanicals then pass it down to the surface that is being cut? I have friends and relatives that are engineers so I know they aren't like normal people but this seems to me like it is backwards.

bjbethke
02-21-2009, 08:14 PM
I know I'm pretty low in the food chain on this forum but maybe somebody can help me to understand this. The blower pulls the dirty air across the mechanicals and electronics then thru the cut motor THEN it gets filtered and sent out into the shop. Wouldn't it make more sense to FILTER the air run it thru the cut motor across the electronics/mechanicals then pass it down to the surface that is being cut? I have friends and relatives that are engineers so I know they aren't like normal people but this seems to me like it is backwards.
The blower pulls clean air from the vent in the bottom of the machine, there is two paths of this air, one is through the cut motor the other path is across the carving path and out the rear port to remove the fine dust. The bottom port is for a downdraft system. With a good downdraft most of the wood chips will be removed through that port. With wide boards that path is not as effective.

Dan-Woodman
02-21-2009, 10:02 PM
JIMl
The blower on the motor WAS used to pull dust from sensors through duct work that is still attached to the motor blower in the beginning. Now it is used only as a muffler and small dust collector.
later Daniel

jiml
02-22-2009, 09:41 AM
BJB,
If one of the paths of air is across the carving, should I be looking for a blocked air duct? There is no sign of movement of the dust on the face of the carving.

Woodman,
When was that change made? I have a CC and it is about 14 months old. I don't see ANY evidence of air thru the nozzle by the keypad.

DocWheeler
02-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Jiml,

A blower that is part of the cut motor blows air up through a port molded onto the top cover where it then discharges on the keypad side. There is a small deflector that blows air across the board. The deflector is a loose piece that is easily displaced and without it there will be less air movement across the board and MORE dust being directed under the roller to the right of the keypad.

Several people have devised other methods of creating additional air movement across the board, search the forum. Both KenM810 and Jeff have shown their versions of this and another version extracts some of the air pressure that goes into the "muffler" to do the same thing (sorry I can't recall the person that first showed that method).

Dyna Rider
02-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Jiml,
another version extracts some of the air pressure that goes into the "muffler" to do the same thing (sorry I can't recall the person that first showed that method).

Hey doc
Dan-Woodman

Digitalwoodshop
02-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Jiml,

The concept of the Cut Motor blower is to cool the cut motor with air drawn through the cut motor brush area and out the filter. It also sucks air from the electronic area under the machine. It has nothing to do with chip dust control.

The filter or sock is used to cut down the fine dust blown and cut down the noise.

AL