PDA

View Full Version : Decorative Tea Box Project

mtylerfl
02-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Hello,

I made a couple Tea Boxes from Select Pine. The design features a realistic over-under basket weave pattern on all four sides and a deep-relief "dished" teapot design with leaf accents for the lid. The finished Tea Box is approximately 12” wide x 8Ό” deep x 5½” tall- the slightly lighter one was finished as follows:

- Cabot Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner
- Minwax Golden Pecan #245 stain
- one coat Amber Shellac
- three coats Minwax water-based Satin polycrylic

...the darker one as follows:

- one very light coat of thinned Bullseye Sealcoat
(2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)
- sanded lightly again with very fine sandpaper & Dremel
- Cabot Brown Mahogony #8134 stain
- three coats Minwax water-based Satin polycrylic

I tested/compared BEST and OPTIMUM settings when carving the box sides (BEST was 5 hrs. - Optimum was 8 hrs.). The Optimum is definitely the better way to go on any design that is as intricate as the over-under weave pattern. I did do both box lids on Optimum setting - 4½ hrs. each (would have been about 2 hrs. each on "Best").

I was impressed with the noticable difference in overall carve quality on the raw wood. Much less "fuzzies" in the tight crevices on the Optimum one. Can't tell much difference now, as I used my Dremel to make them look pretty much the same. One just has to decide whether to spend the time "upfront" for the carve itself, or some time after-the-carve for cleanup. Also, this was Select Pine, which carves very well for me, but I imagine if it were Cherry or Walnut, neither "Best" nor "Optimum" would have had any after-the-carve cleanup.

By the way, the clean-up on the "Best" setting version didn't take me 3 hrs (the difference in time between Best and Optimum). Cleanup was maybe 30 or 40 minutes with my trusty Dremel, 3M wheels and a fine-tipped diamond point. Still, when you look close, you can see the Optimum one is a little more precise in the weave detail, so for me, I think the extra carve time was worth it.

atauer
02-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Mike,

Is that project gonna be available for purchase???

You gotta give us software guys time to familiarize ourselves with the rest of your projects! I myself am three projects behind!!!

JK.

It looks outstanding. More proof of your great work. Keep it up!

cnsranch
02-20-2009, 03:01 PM
Very nice, Michael.

You've mastered one really difficult part for me.

Can you give a simple run-down of your sanding between coats of finish in the detail areas like the weave? That's always a challenge, and as you know, the Devil's in the details.

Thanks, another great project.

Kenm810
02-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Michael T,

Very Nice, Beautiful project, the Folks are going to love it !! http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

mtylerfl
02-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Mike,

Is that project gonna be available for purchase???

You gotta give us software guys time to familiarize ourselves with the rest of your projects! I myself am three projects behind!!!

JK.

It looks outstanding. More proof of your great work. Keep it up!

Thank you very much - yes, this is the next project in the Project Subscription Series. Should be activated and available fairly soon!

fwharris
02-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Michael,

Another great project! Really like the 4 post corner design as well as the whole project itself.

Come on end of the month!

HelpBot3000
02-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Wow! Another Grand Slam Michael! I can't wait until everyone starts making these. I wanna see pics, and lots of 'em! :)

mtylerfl
02-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Very nice, Michael.

You've mastered one really difficult part for me.

Can you give a simple run-down of your sanding between coats of finish in the detail areas like the weave? That's always a challenge, and as you know, the Devil's in the details.

Thanks, another great project.

Thank you. Yep, the details - I wish I could just stop at the carving stage and call it done! You're right - the finishing is the bugaboo for many, and often, my least favorite part - that is, until it's completed. I'll bet my heart rate goes down by a couple dozen beats a minute when I'm all finished!

For this project, I used the 3M 220 grit wheels (3 stacked on the mandrel) and just kind of swiped over all the areas of the weave, more or less along each "line" of the weave. The weave interiors are less than 1/2" square, and the 3M wheels are 3/4" diameter, so the wheels alone would not reach into the tight corners. I used the fine-point diamond tip for running along the edges and getting into the tight spots. (Only one side of the weave edges had slight fuzzies on the Optimum one - completely smooth on the other side of each edge.)

At first when you look at all those "squares" you think, holy smokes, there must be a thousand of 'em! But, once you get started, it goes really quickly (thank goodness!). Heaven help the person who doesn't own a Dremel-type tool, though! It could certainly be done with files, but would take a whole lot more time, I'm sure.

I tried the tip I saw here recently of using sawdust debris from the machine to "scrub-sand" the details with a toothbrush. Unfortunately, that didn't seem to be very effective - I had hoped that it was a new shortcut.

Between clearcoats, I sand very lightly with 400 or 600 grit sandpaper - almost like I'm "buffing" the surface. It's just to remove any dust droppings - I don't need to sand in any of the details at that stage if I've done my prep-sanding properly to begin with (If I haven't, I just apply more clearcoats!).

I really like the Minwax water-based polycrylic Satin. You can usually apply three or four coats in one day, let it dry overnight, and you're good to go. I also like the Minwax wipe-on poly and a standard laquer too, due to the ability to apply several coats fairly quickly.

mtylerfl
02-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Wow! Another Grand Slam Michael! I can't wait until everyone starts making these. I wanna see pics, and lots of 'em! :)

I'm anxious to see how folks customize their own boxes and want to see pictures too! I think they'll have a great time with 'em. Lots of possibilities. Here's a quote from the instruction sheet:

"Some options include flocking the interior of the box,

lining the interior with fabric or wallpaper, applying
gold leaf, or simply painting the interior with a color of
your choice. You might also want to make dividers to
organize individually wrapped tea varieties for a
“fancy” presentation like you sometimes see in fine
restaurants."

James RS
02-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Beautiful work!

cnsranch
02-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Thanks for your response, MT - you'd make a great dentist :mrgreen:

mtylerfl
02-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Thanks for your response, MT - you'd make a great dentist :mrgreen:

Is that because I talk so much? - I know my dentist does - he's always asking me stuff when his hands are in my mouth!

I just reply - unng-huh or uh-uh.

b.sumner47
02-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Michael,as always your work makes me want to try and be the best that I can.Thanks.Capt.Barry

DocWheeler
02-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Michael,

You have another winner, thanks for being so creative and offering them to us in the manner that you do!

Tom75
02-20-2009, 06:00 PM
that is Amazon . :)

mtylerfl
02-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Thank you again, everyone. I appreciate the encouragement very much.

GrammaPam
02-20-2009, 06:28 PM
What a nice present. So well done!

My only suggestion is to fill it with Yogi brand teas. My favorite is Egyptian Licorice Mint (amazingly better than it may sound to some folks) If you don't live in Eugene, Fred Meyer carries some of their choices and health food stores carry a few. The best selection is on line where I order a couple of cases a few times a year. Sweet Thai Delight is a lot of people's favorite and Sweet Mexican Chili has a great zing, Pomegranate and Green Tea is good in the morning. There's at least half a dozen kinds in my cupboard. I'm probably their best salesperson and they don't even know it. I give a lot of mine away because I want other people to try it. There is a reason ships used to brave sailing off the edge of the earth for tea.

You do beautiful work. It is much appreciated.

G.P.

liquidguitars
02-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Very nice like always, and man you have the sanding down!

LG

Beerfaced
02-20-2009, 08:33 PM
That is amazing. Well done!

RayTrek
02-21-2009, 09:03 AM
Wow Michael!
Thanks for all the information you have included I do not know how you find the time to create such great projects and instruction but I sure do appreciate all of it
Cheers to you
Ray

mtylerfl
02-21-2009, 09:18 AM
What a nice present. So well done!

My only suggestion is to fill it with Yogi brand teas. My favorite is Egyptian Licorice Mint (amazingly better than it may sound to some folks) If you don't live in Eugene, Fred Meyer carries some of their choices and health food stores carry a few. The best selection is on line where I order a couple of cases a few times a year. Sweet Thai Delight is a lot of people's favorite and Sweet Mexican Chili has a great zing, Pomegranate and Green Tea is good in the morning. There's at least half a dozen kinds in my cupboard. I'm probably their best salesperson and they don't even know it. I give a lot of mine away because I want other people to try it. There is a reason ships used to brave sailing off the edge of the earth for tea.

You do beautiful work. It is much appreciated.

G.P.

Thank you - I had my wife read your post this morning, and she's on a quest to find the teas you suggested. Thanks again!

www.go3d.us
02-21-2009, 10:17 AM
Very Nice!

PlateCarver
02-21-2009, 04:01 PM
fantastic looking box..... been trying to put something like this together since I got my machine and this gives me new hope.......

badger
02-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Great idea and design on the box. Just wish I never gave the wife this web page information. Kinda of hard to keep up with my own work without her seeing all of your designs and saying.....Honey would you mind?....

:mrgreen:

PlateCarver
02-22-2009, 09:37 AM
You have me interested in creating one of these... what are the dimensions of the box?

swhitney
02-22-2009, 09:52 AM
You have me interested in creating one of these... what are the dimensions of the box?

As the next subscription project, can we get a little head start?? What sized boards are required so the glue-ups for the strange and exotic woods will be ready.....

Awesome looking project, I can't wait for it to be released!!

mtylerfl
02-22-2009, 06:05 PM
Hello,

The finished Tea Box is approximately 12” wide x 8Ό” deep x 5½” tall.

The project uses boards with the following dimensions:

TeaBox_Top.mpc: .75” x 11.25” x 19½”

TeaBox_Sides.mpc: .75” x 11.25” x 25½”

TeaBox_Bottom.mpc: .75” x 9.25” x 18”

These dimensions INCLUDE the extra 7" already. If you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the specified length, then setup your sled/jig so you gain the 7" from your sled instead of from the actual board stock.

swhitney
02-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanx for that info. Even tho I am an early retiree, I often find myself busier than when I was running my own store!! so to have the supply wood dimmensions early means I can have that wood ready and waiting for the subscription release, especially if I decide to use something that is not available in the required widths.... again, thank you for the info and keep up that simply marvelous design work!!!!

Icutone2
02-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Would this be the March Subscription project?

swhitney
02-23-2009, 09:56 PM
Would this be the March Subscription project?

With the progression of events last month.... I am assuming yes.. but you know what that "assume" word can mean sometimes!!!

mtylerfl
02-24-2009, 07:53 AM
Actually, it is February's project - however, I'm just going to call it "the next project"!

Betty Woodall
02-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Michael,
this is awesome. What great detail. You never cease to amaze me. Thank you for sharing.

swhitney
02-26-2009, 08:33 AM
I eagerly await the release of this months subscription!! and I know it will be soon 'cause there is only 2 days left in February!!!! (this is a subtle reminder to me as I almost always remember my mother's March 2nd birthday a day or two late... ya know, with the "holy ^&&$%#" it's March already????)

slcombs
02-28-2009, 05:36 AM
Hi Michael

can you get your 3m sanding wheels i cant find them where i live

thanks
STEVE

mtylerfl
02-28-2009, 07:04 AM
Hi Michael

can you get your 3m sanding wheels i cant find them where i live

thanks
STEVE

Hello,

The discs can be ordered online from Ottofrei.com and from McMaster.com

I order mine from McMaster, but I think Ottofrie has a little lower price from what I have heard. Here are the McMaster part numbers...

Stack multiple discs (I stack 3 at a time) on the mandrel (3/32" dia. part # 4494A44) to suit the task at hand - http://www.mcmaster.com (http://www.mcmaster.com/) sells the discs online for about 88 cents each (search their site for "radial bristle discs"). We use McMaster part # 4494A19 (80 grit), part #4494A18 (220 grit) and #4494A17 (400 grit) discs.

I rarely use the 400-grit, it can "polish" the wood and stain won't penetrate...the real workhorse is the 220-grit for overall use on detailed cleanup...the 80-grit (coarse) is also handy and works a little faster, but you have to be a bit more careful with the coarser grit so you don't overdo it.