PDA

View Full Version : My first Design and project

gwiz
02-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Hi, Well the attached files are my very first try at designing a project.
I own a small wood shop specializing in Custom Quilt Displays and I have wanted to get the CW since it came out. I could wait no longer and got one from Lowes about 6 weeks ago. If you all see any errors or maybe things I could do to improve the design. I really learned a lot about the desugn software building this project. Thanks
Tom

Bill
02-19-2009, 07:15 PM
Tom,
Nice looking project. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

DocWheeler
02-19-2009, 08:30 PM
Tom,

Looks like you have done some reading along with playing with Designer, good job!

mtylerfl
02-19-2009, 08:39 PM
...If you all see any errors or maybe things I could do to improve the design. I really learned a lot about the desugn software building this project. Thanks
Tom

Hello Tom,

The design looks great. Excellent job!

You do not need to put the extra 3.5" at each end of your virtual board on your design layout, though. Just do your layouts at the finished size. It's the real board you put into the machine that has the extra 3.5" at each end. In your case, a sled will provide the added length, I assume.

Laying out projects at actual size eliminates potential "pilot mistakes" - one of the most common ones is a scaling or resizing prompt that is generated when the user has added the extra length in the design layout and says "yes" to stay under rollers. I get a zillion calls/emails from folks who make the "scaling mistake" every week. Nearly always because they added the 7" in their design layout instead of just to their real board.

There are only two things to remember...make your real board 7" longer than your virtual board, and say "Yes" to the stay under rollers prompt. (see the Dec 07 issue of the Tips & Tricks for more details)

Your manufacturer's owner's manual also shows an illustration of the recommended procedure...(page 23 or 25 or 28 depending on your particular manual version.)

See the photo below with annotations...

Hope that helps!

mtylerfl
02-20-2009, 08:56 AM
Tom,

I just visited your website - you've got a great line of products there! Really, really nice!