PDA

View Full Version : What is a error 238?

RabidRed
02-19-2009, 12:56 PM
My CW stopped with a y axis stall. What would cause that?

HelpBot3000
02-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Something is inhibiting your y truck's travel from left to right. Could be anything from a loose wire cutting the power to the motor to debris in the y belt to an overly tightened y belt tension screw. Turn the machine off and move the y truck left to right, get a feel for the resistance. Then, turn it back on and move the truck again. If it is the same you aren't getting power to the y motor and its time to start checking cable connections. If it is a little harder to move then its time to start blowing out the y track and checking for obstructions. If that doesn't help, call hardware support.

RabidRed
02-19-2009, 02:48 PM
Something is inhibiting your y truck's travel from left to right. Could be anything from a loose wire cutting the power to the motor to debris in the y belt to an overly tightened y belt tension screw. Turn the machine off and move the y truck left to right, get a feel for the resistance. Then, turn it back on and move the truck again. If it is the same you aren't getting power to the y motor and its time to start checking cable connections. If it is a little harder to move then its time to start blowing out the y track and checking for obstructions. If that doesn't help, call hardware support.

I cleaned out the track and put some WD-40 on the travel. I started the carving again and noticed the bit was not moving. I checked the QC and bit and nothing looks wrong. I took the shaft loose from the indent and put it back in. There seems to be resistance when I turn the QC but not sure the shaft is fully ingaged at the motor. ??

Jeff_Birt
02-19-2009, 03:34 PM
You can't just push the flex shaft down into the 'top-hat' and be sure that it has engaged properly. Try this - pull the flex shaft back out, grab the metal core with your fingers and full it out about 3", then push it back in while slowly turning it, you will feel it as it snaps into the motor end, You should now only have about 3/4~1" of the core sticking out. Finally, get the flex-shaft lines up to push it in the top-ha, as you push down turn the chuck by hand. You will feel the core engage the spindle.

Digitalwoodshop
02-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Most likely the cause of the Y Stall was the bit stopped turning and tripped the Bit stopping the machine.

It can be electrical or mechanical. The Right side cover Switch runs the return side of the Cut Motor Power through it. If it gets loose or a wire comes off, it will stop the Cut Motor. It plugs in to the right of the cut motor. Watch as this set of wires needs to be put back into the back right corner or the Z Truck will hit it and prevent the Bit Plate from coming out and give you a Load Bit over and over.

Or Mechanical. A quick check is to remove the Flex from the top of the Spindle and Press Options on your keypad and select Sensor Data and select Cut Motor Sensor. By rotating the Flex Shaft it will count 0001, 0002, 0003 as you turn it. This will tell you the Flex is connected to the Cut Motor Properly. A new machine with new brushes will turn hard, but still turn. This is OK.

To Check, you can remove your top cover, watch the wires, the left cover switch plug into a circuit board. Look at the white wire in that group so when you plug it back in it can go in 180 degrees out.

Swing the cover out of the way and look at the Cut Motor. The Flex has a screw holding it locked in place. Loosen it and check to be sure it is engaged, it push and twist. I have seen the rubber separate from the end connectors too.

Nothing there and it is still not turning then remove the bottom of the machine and look for the X Termination board. A Broken C1 Capacitor can cause this.

Let us know what you find.

AL

RabidRed
02-19-2009, 04:47 PM
I reinstalled the shaft and checked the cut sensor and it checked out ok. Haven't tried the machine yet due to the down crank not working.

Digitalwoodshop
02-20-2009, 08:38 AM
Down crank just clicking? There is a hole in the jacking screw to put a 1/8 inch bit or allen to turn the shaft. Better instructions are in the Manual.

AL