PDA

View Full Version : Buccaneer Pistol

eromran
02-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Here is a buccaneer pistol that is about 95% done all done on the carvewright. Just a few more little things to do. I did not carve this as front and back one piece. It has about 15peices that i flipped to give it its back side. One question does anyone have an opinion as to the design on the side plate. Should it be left like it is or done in another color to show some more contrast? ( Not the whole plate just the swirls )

Kenm810
02-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Ed,

Really a super job on the Fint Lock Pistol,
I have a 45cal. Black Power percussion cap Mountain Pistol
that looks a lot like yours. Normally the patterns on trim plates were left unpolished,
but any German Sliver or Pewter was cleaned up and polished for special occasions.
I have seen a few Dressed up Pistols with Ivory, Mother of Pearl, Polished Brass, or even Gold inlays.

Very Nice !!

Ps. Here's a photo of one similar to your

fwharris
02-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Ed,

It looks great as is. If you want to highlight the swirls you could do just the high parts with a darker color of the plate color.

Fantastic job!

cnsranch
02-19-2009, 12:33 PM
Ed - that is really nice.

Did you scan another piece, or is that a pattern, your design, etc.?

Re the colors, if you look at Ken's pic, the high points look polished, while the low points are much darker.

That's the natural patina that a pistol of that type would get over the years. The high points are touched and rubbed (polished) by simply using it, and the low points are allowed to get soils, oils and tarnish imbedded in them.

I'd try that, but i can't paint by numbers, let alone your project :D

liquidguitars
02-19-2009, 01:17 PM
very cool project.. nice job!

LG

eromran
02-20-2009, 07:51 AM
Ken, Thanks for picture and thanks everyone for suggestions on finish i think (Or have been convince ) after the comments just a subtle difference in the colors would be the way to go for a more used look as what was pointed out.
CNS, I can't paint by number ether luckily the carvewright can cut lines for me to trace and i did scan all the pieces.

geekviking
02-20-2009, 11:41 AM
That came out beautiful! Would you be willing to share or sell your patterns for this? I'd LOVE to make one for my collection!

Ike
02-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Wow I would like to try to make a six shooter! Ed I take it you scan the pistol first? Very nice this machine amazes me everyday!

Ike

RayTrek
02-21-2009, 08:52 AM
ED,

I just saw your project and absolutely love it.
Ray

mtylerfl
02-21-2009, 09:24 AM
Hello Ed,

That's certainly one of the most "super cool" projects we've seen! Great job!!

Wonder if it can be modified for a rubber-band gun?- that would be fun too!

(I've had a "Space gun/rubber-band" gun on my ta-doo list for a year-and-a-half, but have not even started on the design.)

usd5000000
02-23-2009, 04:08 PM
Hello Ed,

Our middle school needs to make some muskets so I was going to try and design a flintlock hammer/plate mechanism to glue onto the bodies.

Would you please share that part of your project to save me some time? I need to make 15 muskets and I'm traveling a lot before the play so any help would be REALLY appreciated.

Nice project!

Thanks,
Jeff

eromran
02-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Hello Ed,

Our middle school needs to make some muskets so I was going to try and design a flintlock hammer/plate mechanism to glue onto the bodies.

Would you please share that part of your project to save me some time? I need to make 15 muskets and I'm traveling a lot before the play so any help would be REALLY appreciated.

Nice project!

Thanks,
JeffHere are the left and right sides its made so you glue the two together corresponding parts together to give it a view from both sides except of course the plate after the hammer is glued together and finished it can be glued to the top of the plate at what ever angle you want. Also carve them on optimal. Hope this helps.

usd5000000
02-24-2009, 07:15 AM
Ed,

You are too kind!

I really appreciate your willingness to share this part of your project. You saved me many hours of work or I might have just given up and cut a basic shape of the hammer with the CW or stack cut on a scroll saw. This is much nicer.

I have too many muskets to make and I'm traveling a lot for work lately so this is a real life saver. I'm trying to save the school some money and they can't afford to rent enough of them.

This forum is really great! Its such a great community.

When I get back from my trip I'll be musket making.

Sincerely,
Jeff

Kenm810
02-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Talking about Flintlocks,
Here’s one I worked on a couple of months ago.
It was shipped in to us with no paper work or Documentation,
The teeth are real (Still have tarter on them) but I have no idea from what animal.
The Silver trim is a fairly good quality but the Gold is rather poor,
and stock appears to be some kind of a straight grained Eurasian Walnut or Far East equivalent.
It’s a smooth bore about 50 cal., weights 7.25 lb. and is 42.5” over all.
The dealer said it was going into a private or an independent semiprivate collection,
but never mentioned its value to us.
I put my cell phone in the photo to give you an idea of scale.

Ps. Put one like that up to your shoulder to fire it,
you could bet that it would really bite Ya !! :wink:

badger
02-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Talking about Flintlocks,
Here’s one I worked on a couple of months ago.

Nice, can growl at ya from both ends.

:mrgreen:

liquidguitars
02-24-2009, 12:13 PM
thats just wrong :)

LG

geekviking
02-24-2009, 12:26 PM
One of the most beautiful rifles I've ever seen! Do you know the originating country?

geekviking
02-24-2009, 12:31 PM
That came out beautiful! Would you be willing to share or sell your patterns for this? I'd LOVE to make one for my collection!

would you be willing to?

usd5000000
03-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Hello Ed,

What process did you use to make the pattern for the hammer/lock assembly?

I'm new to this system and want to learn.

Thanks,
Jeff

cnsranch
03-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Jeff -

Ed used the scanning probe to make all the parts/pieces.

usd5000000
03-04-2009, 10:57 PM
Thanks! I was considering doing the same. Buying a hammer off ebay and then scanning it.

Using a photo might take a while to "tweak" it to make it right.

Jeff

rickyz
05-19-2009, 10:35 PM
would you be willing to?

would love to add a couple of pistols to my halloween pirate outfit.