PDA

View Full Version : Member Rank Change

oclatta
02-18-2009, 01:16 PM
What qualifications does it take to go from Junior member to Member?

Eagle Hollow
02-18-2009, 01:19 PM
500 posts makes you a member.

Router-Jim
02-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Good question. I was considered a senior member at one time. :confused:

oclatta
02-18-2009, 01:25 PM
When I look at the Member List, I see a lot of Members with less than 500 posts. Maybe it's something else.

Digitalwoodshop
02-18-2009, 01:30 PM
2500 posts like me = I don't have a social life..... Snicker....

AL

oclatta
02-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Like I say, when I look at the member list, I see a Member with 70 posts and a Senior Member with 132 posts.

Must be something else.

cnsranch
02-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Status rankings were changed some time ago - for those in the member's list who have a more senior status, their actual status would change if they posted. If you notice, there are a lot of members that haven't posted for a long time.

TerryT
02-18-2009, 03:09 PM
After a year and a half and over 300 posts, I went from a senior member to junior member. I was pretty excited to get to senior member but since my demotion it doesn't matter much.

HelpBot3000
02-18-2009, 03:33 PM
Just a theory but some of the ones that have relatively low posts but still have high rankings I think got them before whoever controls the rankings changed it up and they have not logged in since then. So, I believe that after the change the next time you logged in you were given your new rank but they have been dormant since that time. That's my running theory for now anyway.

DigitalDave
02-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Don't fret guys, remember R. Tolkien did his best work as a JR.

cnsranch
02-18-2009, 04:53 PM
Don't fret guys, remember R. Tolkien did his best work as a JR.

So did that guy named Ewing (my hero, him and Larry the Cable Guy)

jcorder
02-18-2009, 06:30 PM
I kinda liked it when I went from Sr to Jr, made me feel young and ummmm innocent again!

Semper Fi
03-05-2009, 08:12 AM
I think this is a valid question. I wonder why someone from LHR isn't answering it. They must have some criteria.

cnsranch
03-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Frankly, I don't see the big deal - who cares what our status is - it's not like we get a free bit when we graduate or something.

Seriously, I think I originally became a senior member after something like 100 posts. I've got over 600 now, considered a "member" and am not in the leagues of those who currently hold senior status.

If it were me making the decision, I'd have gone the same route - it now takes 500 posts to become a "member", and something north of that - probably 1,000 - to become "senior".

The more you post, the more you read the posts; the more you read the posts, the more you learn; the more you learn, the more senior you are in knowledge.

I'd like to think I can give advice or input in a thread now and then, but you didn't want to get it from me when I had owned the machine for a couple of months, and held senior status only because I sit in front of a computer all day.

If you want to change your status, change your signature like I did - it makes me feel so much better.

But that's just me.

Rocky
03-05-2009, 02:07 PM
I think this is a valid question. I wonder why someone from LHR isn't answering it. They must have some criteria.

Someone from LHR has answered (see post 9 in this thread). Did you see his "member" designation. :)

atauer
03-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Frankly, I don't see the big deal - who cares what our status is - it's not like we get a free bit when we graduate or something.

Seriously, I think I originally became a senior member after something like 100 posts. I've got over 600 now, considered a "member" and am not in the leagues of those who currently hold senior status.

If it were me making the decision, I'd have gone the same route - it now takes 500 posts to become a "member", and something north of that - probably 1,000 - to become "senior".

The more you post, the more you read the posts; the more you read the posts, the more you learn; the more you learn, the more senior you are in knowledge.

I'd like to think I can give advice or input in a thread now and then, but you didn't want to get it from me when I had owned the machine for a couple of months, and held senior status only because I sit in front of a computer all day.

If you want to change your status, change your signature like I did - it makes me feel so much better.

But that's just me.

I agree with CNS. The titles you see (junior, member, senior) really don't mean much at all. It isn't the title that matters, it is the knowledge you are gaining that matters. The software used for the forum was updated. During the update, the member ranks changd. Members who had not logged in and posted in a while, still showed the original settings, but as soon as they post, the settings will change.

HelpBot3000
03-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Someone from LHR has answered (see post 9 in this thread). Did you see his "member" designation. :)

Heh heh, caught that huh? Alex's idea. I just thought it was a good one. :D

Semper Fi
03-06-2009, 06:44 AM
The question was, and still is, a very simple one. What is the criteria? The answer CNCRANCH referred to was described as a "theory". If it's no big deal, then why have it? I really abhor class distinction anyhow. This is my last post on this subject because I don't want to get into a P***ing contest!

oclatta
03-06-2009, 08:12 AM
I didn't mean to get anyone riled up. I just wanted to know if it was based on ownership time, posts, photo's of completed projects,etc.

I have learned with my approximately one year with the machine that cleanliness is next to godliness. I built a down draft dust collector (Photo's were posted 03-15-08), I use the Stop button and vacuum during a carve, I clean and lubricate the machine when I am done for the day. I have a check list that I go through each time that I start the machine. It lists simple things like: Check board for squareness. Masking tape on the bottom of the board to help tracking. Slide the squaring plate next to the board (I use two plastic laminate samples for shims to keep from getting the squaring plate too tight to the board). Work the rollers up and down and listen for the switches to click. Work the Bit Plate to make sure that it will move freely. Shine a flashlight on the work piece as it is doing it's measuring. Etc. I check the set screws on the bit adapter and oil the bits when I put them in the QC. I check the set screws and put oil on them when I take them out of the QC. I use an inspection mirror and make sure the red lines are aligned on the QC each time I put in a bit. I use the mirror to make sure that the QC is clean when I am done for the day. I put oil on my finger and coat the inside of the QC when I am done for the day.

I love the machine and I realize that it is a "HOBBY" machine.

I downloaded the Designer Software Manual, put it on a flash drive, took it to a local print shop. They printed it double sided and punched it for a three ring binder for $21.61 including tax. I can't wait to get into it and learn more about the software as I know I have just grazed the surface of what it can do.

Since I don't talk too much, I realize that I will probably always remain a Junior Member.

atauer
03-06-2009, 09:32 AM
The answer is the number of posts.

0-500 = Junior Member

501-1000 = Member

1001 and up = Senior Member

Hopefully this clears things up. Remember that your ranking does not matter. What matters is the knowledge you gain/share by posting your thoughts and findings.