PDA

View Full Version : needing background for duck scene

skeeterman
02-18-2009, 06:12 AM
needing some help on a duck scene, looking for cattnine tails, cypress trees, or anything that resembles a duck hunting carving.
Steve

cnsranch
02-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Try this...

Ike
02-18-2009, 02:53 PM
needing some help on a duck scene, looking for cattnine tails, cypress trees, or anything that resembles a duck hunting carving.
Steve

Steve, I have a couple patterns with ducks and background. If they work enjoy!

Ike

skeeterman
02-18-2009, 07:49 PM
thanks Ike and csnranch, i appreciate the help.
csnranch you woulnt by chance have the reeds in a ptn instead of mpc? i need to fill in background and forground with reeds and catninetails on a project i am working on.
steve

bjbethke
02-19-2009, 02:14 AM
You can pull the patterns off this MPC

cnsranch
02-19-2009, 09:08 AM
Steve

ptn's too big to attach - pm me with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

skeeterman
02-19-2009, 09:31 AM
thanks BJBethke for the mpc, thanks cnsranch for your help, i have pm you my email
Steve

skeeterman
02-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Hows your sawmill going BJBethke, I was looking into one my self, we had a lot of trees down from the storms and ice as well. I know of a lot of pecan trees that were destroyed and are planning to be cut down.
Steve

bjbethke
02-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Hows your sawmill going BJBethke, I was looking into one my self, we had a lot of trees down from the storms and ice as well. I know of a lot of pecan trees that were destroyed and are planning to be cut down.
Steve
Steve I have not received the Band Saw mill yet, I ordered a small mill so I could set it up next to the logs. I do not have the equipment to handle heavy logs. The mill will cut a 16 inch log and has two six foot tracks and I plan to cut logs four foot or less. I wanted to get a Wood-Mizer unit, but they cost a lot more then this one. The shipping weight is 500#, so it would be hard enough to move around, When I get all the trees cleaned up from this Ice Storm I plan on installing it up in my large wood shop and use it as a re-saw unit, Hope it comes in next week. When I get it set up bring some of them Pecan logs over, I can cut them for you. You know where I live. Pecan makes great lumber.

• 16" log capacity
• 6.5 HP Briggs & Stratton engine
• Two 6 ft. track sections can be bolted together to make a 12 foot track for cutting longer logs
• Easy-to-read measuring system
• Easy hand adjustment for board thickness
• Lightweight and easy to handle, move, and store

supershingler
02-19-2009, 05:19 PM
BJ

could you get me the name of that mill . i think it would be perfect for what i would like to do. our river hill are full of cedar that grow like weeds. i think i could get all i wanted for little or nothing.

send me a pm if you dont want to put the info on the forum

thanks in advance

kendall

bjbethke
02-19-2009, 06:06 PM
BJ

could you get me the name of that mill . i think it would be perfect for what i would like to do. our river hill are full of cedar that grow like weeds. i think i could get all i wanted for little or nothing.

send me a pm if you dont want to put the info on the forum

thanks in advance

kendall
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97445

I ordered it from Harbor Freight; it’s most likely made in China.

You need to order the blades from Wood-Mizer 111 inches x 1.25" blade

skeeterman
02-19-2009, 06:40 PM
that looks like a good price for the unit, most of the ones i looked at were $4900. or more most were a lot more. Now if i could only convince my wife on how much money i will save on lumber hmmmmmm.
Steve

supershingler
02-20-2009, 08:35 AM
bj

let us know how good the thing works for you when you get it up and running

my interest is running high. it might be a toss up as to wether to get a sawmill or another cw. if i cant make up my mind ill just have to get both lol

kendall

bjbethke
02-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Steve, I found another cattail and duck pattern for you while cleaning up my hard drives placing my patterns on CD's. Hope you can use it. If you want the complete file e-mail me.

Bill Bethke

HelpBot3000
02-23-2009, 03:55 PM
bj

my interest is running high. it might be a toss up as to wether to get a sawmill or another cw. if i cant make up my mind ill just have to get both lol

kendall

Oh, that would just be a shame, wouldn't it? :D lol

bjbethke
03-14-2009, 01:32 AM
bj

kendall
97445 Portable SawMill With/Carriage

I finally received the portable Bandsaw Saw Mill; it took 31 days for it to arrive. It is not as portable as I though it would be; the shipping weight was 500 LBS. I moved it around by rolling it on the Carriage tracks; each track is six feet long. The driver of the shipping truck helped me slide it down off the back of the truck about a 4.5 foot drop. It came fully assembled on a pallet. It arrived in great shape. All it needed was filling the gas tank and adjust the blade. It cuts great.

I ordered this mill from Harbor Freight Tools, It was drop shipped from a company named; HUD-SON Forest Equipment. www.Hud-son.com
This is a 16 inch saw mill; they do not show this size on there WEB page. There smallest mill is an 18 inch size. And cost about $1000.00 more.

I made a PDF with some more images of it. The PDF was too large to post. PM me with your e-mail and I will send it to you.

supershingler
03-14-2009, 11:04 AM
the sawmill looks great

now my interest is really rising

have to see what my uncle sam yearly bonus(refund) is

thanks for the pics

kendall

skeeterman
03-14-2009, 11:16 AM
hey Bill, nice to see you got it in, what kind of wood is that , that is leaning up against the tree in last picture, I like the color of that wood.
How hard is it to push saw thrue wood?
Steve

wasacop75
03-14-2009, 11:37 AM
Gee, looks like no more trips to the big box store for you.
now just have to find aged wood to cut....
should have no problem with finding wood for the wood stoves...

Nice setup...

Digitalwoodshop
03-14-2009, 11:59 AM
When I was working at Sony in Philly the brick apartment complex I formerly lived in then bough a house next to it cut some Cherry, Oak and Walnut trees from the park. I had them flip them over the fence into my back yard and I bough this Rip Saw mill.

I only brought home the good stuff, my neighbor woodworkers loved me....

The last picture is the mill set up at my shop in the Poconos. I have not fired it up in 2 years but I have a stack of wood air drying. I will make a Solar Kiln soon.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
03-14-2009, 12:21 PM
I have an unlimited supply of trees, this is the processing of 2 oaks that were hung up on other trees for about 3 years. When they finally dropped, I processed them.

I liked to quarter them and strap them together and roll them off the mill. Then I made a Box with clamps to put the quarter on. I would measure up from the bottom of the box in 1.5 inch steps so my last board would be 1.5 inches thick. I would flip them on the edge in width groups and trim the edges. Even in the end, all the cut off strips have been stacked to dry and later will be come Frugal Frames made of 15 inch oak strips and re-sawed on a small band saw.

The pictures might be helpful to build a jig to quarter saw logs.

AL

bjbethke
03-16-2009, 10:01 AM
hey Bill, nice to see you got it in, what kind of wood is that , that is leaning up against the tree in last picture, I like the color of that wood.
How hard is it to push saw thrue wood?
Steve
That wood is a six foot section of the largest walnut tree the ice storm brought down. The peaces in the photo were some sap wood; I did get eight good 7.5" wide six foot long boards from that log. (1.25" thick), that gives me one inch stock planed.

The cutting head rolls real easy on the carriage tracks. It cuts as fast as my other shop band saw. The most work is turning the large logs to make them square.

supershingler
03-16-2009, 04:10 PM
if you need a place to store some of that walnut i got room in my shed but i have to tell you there seem to be a lot of shrinkage in my shed. lol

i need to get a hold of a guy and see what his tree pile looks like but the mill looks great

kendall

bjbethke
03-17-2009, 06:55 AM
Al, I like your Log Dog’s

I have been thinking about making a Jig to hold some 3 to 4 foot long logs to cut them into blanks to use on my Legacy Mill to make bench legs. I have lots of branches that are 4 to 8 inches and I have more than enough fire wood so I don’t want to use them for that.

I was thinking about pinning the logs with a pointed dead center. Like photo 3, but some deep throat pipe clamps may work better. That way I could rotate the log with out undoing the clamps. My Legacy Mill can turn six inch rounds and I could cut them in hexagon shape with the saw mill.

You come up with some great Ideas, any others?

The legs for my Legacy bench are the type I want to make; these were made from 4x4 oak. I think the walnut branches would make neat looking bench legs, could even add some carvings on the benches with the CW unit.