PDA

View Full Version : possible vacuum auxillary sled

tackytim
02-17-2009, 08:56 PM
I was flipping throught my Rockler catalog tonight and saw their new "V-clamp Vacuum Clamps".

At my work we have a CNC with a vacuum table. The thought crossed my mind that it might be possible to use the vacuum clamps in some way to hold down various boards on to a sled. The advantage would be not having to make or modify sleds everytime you have a different sized piece to carve. Since i do not own one, i was wondering if any one else has had the same thought.

I do not have plans for it nor have i given it too much thought other than the idea popping into my head.

Any thoughts?

Jeff_Birt
02-17-2009, 08:58 PM
I thought some about a vacuum sled for holding down materials like balsa. The biggest issue the struck me were not getting a vacuum hose stuck as the sled feeds in/out, and generating the vacuum itself.

James RS
02-18-2009, 03:49 AM
As far as a vacuum to hold down the board that sounds good, but if the board has a slight warp it could lose vacuum. My day job is a screen printer where I work on a press that uses vacuum told hold down parts as large as 30 x 40 with a 2 hp motor even these let lose if the un-used vacuum holes are not all masked off.

Digitalwoodshop
02-18-2009, 10:31 AM
I have a Vacuum Sled in the works. I have a vacuum pump and a vacuum switch to be hooked up in series with the cover switch. I use place on end so the hose will never get into the machine.

Let creative ideas "live"

liquidguitars
02-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Sounds good...

I been playing with the idea of only having one sled to do most of the carving like a 5 in one design and adding a vacuum holding system would way cool, you could even have the CW cut the o ring locations..

LG

Jeff_Birt
02-18-2009, 12:45 PM
I was thinking of using some 5/16" peg board. The end boards and rails could be fixed with shims of various heights, that fit into the peg holes, used to shim stock up to the rail height. Any unused areas could be masked off.

The trick is having a lot of surface area of the stock/part available.

Digitalwoodshop
02-18-2009, 12:57 PM
My plans to have the sled for cutting Fire Tag FRP Plastic. I would tape the 12 x 24 sheets to the sled but the vacuum would hold the 1.5 x 3 tags cut with the 1/16 inch cutting bit. Three holes in the sacrifical hardboard plate at each tag location down into the sled vacuum chambers will hold the tag. I won't use tabs as the possible damage to the tag underside top surface with the tabs breaking. Sure you could be careful, but I would rather a cut edge. A cracked edge won't let the color coat print on the tag.

AL

liquidguitars
02-18-2009, 03:12 PM
http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/graphics/photos/tools/vclamprvu/smallgasket200.jpg

thats cool works with a compreser not a pump Hmm..

LG

tackytim
02-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Our CNC at work has a 4' x 10' vacuum table. The vacuum pump is rather large and generates quite a bit of heat. However, my boss tells me that it will keep a 4 x 8 sheet of melamine in place while suctioning through 2 sheets of 4x8 3/4" thick MDF. If i put my hand on the table i can feel it suck my palm down to the table.

The vacuums that work with compressed air are pretty interesting. I have used Corian clamps that use compressed air to create a vacuum to assist in clamping seams, sinks, etc. They're very nice to work with and can even work with 3/4" plywood, though they don't grab as well as on corian. I think they're called gorilla clamps. They have some they use for granite as well.

I think the compressed air vacuum pads would work pretty well, and i think the CC could cut out the air channel pattern very well. a little plumbing, some fittings, and should work pretty well.

Digitalwoodshop
02-19-2009, 09:59 AM
I worked with the Air Supply Vacuum devices at Sony. They used them to pick up picture tubes with a robot by the face. In a big shop with a good source of shop air it works good, it's the venturi effect, air passing a hole creating a low pressure or vacuum.

In a small shop like I have with only a 5HP Sears 2 Cylinder Air Compressor, it would run the whole time. I went with the kit that is sold on eBay for about $300.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=320334810213

And a Vacuum Switch.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=360125307173

For the Electricity, I think a Vacuum pump is more efficient for my shop.

If you look at the Shop Bot sites, they use the Fien III Vacuum cleaners that have a built in cooling fan to provide suction through 2 inch pvc piping and have Zones and blanking on the table.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/27/9632.html?1137723821
AL

James RS
02-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Ok it must be Karma, today at work they were getting rid of an old exposure unit that had a working vacuum pump on it. Well it's in my truck now, so I think I might give this a go.

rickyz
02-22-2009, 07:26 AM
shopnotes magazine had a few issues on this quite a few years ago. If I remember right, you would cut a groove around the area you want the vacuum, and install caulking backer rod for a seal. I will try to find the issue on it if people are really interested. I bought an air-vac pump from harbor freight for about twelve bucks, a couple pipe fittings and some hose and I was all set. it actually works pretty well.

Jeff_Birt
02-22-2009, 07:55 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that sawdust will get into the vacuum system so there has to me some way of filtering it out. I've not yet figured out a way to do that.

Digitalwoodshop
02-22-2009, 01:12 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that sawdust will get into the vacuum system so there has to me some way of filtering it out. I've not yet figured out a way to do that.

My Veneer Vacuum pump came with a air filter. I will also install a plastic see through GAS filter in line too as a pre filter. Yes you right it will suck in dust.

AL

daniel9ds
12-31-2010, 12:13 AM
I am a newbie here and just wanna say Hi to everyone. I am Daniel from Pennsylvania, US.

Ike
12-31-2010, 12:47 AM
Welcome Daniel to the forum!

Ike