PDA

View Full Version : LCD scanning display inputs

Chino
02-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Hi guys
I need input again. When setting up a scan down the line and after you
"Find surface" you get the options to accept or "Apply offset" by putting in a numerical number. What is an offset? What dose it do for a scan?
Can someone define and or explain this option?
Thanks

TerryT
02-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Not sure but here is a wild guess. When you set the depth and decide to change it you can offset the depth you just measured + or - a fraction to get it just right. Again, just a guess as I have never used it. Give it a try and let us know what happens.

mtylerfl
02-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Hi guys
I need input again. When setting up a scan down the line and after you
"Find surface" you get the options to accept or "Apply offset" by putting in a numerical number. What is an offset? What dose it do for a scan?
Can someone define and or explain this option?
Thanks

The offset is the distance you want to remain above the sled. (I assume you know that the probe should not drag along the sled surface.)

You can input the offset amount manually, or simply do what I do - place two or three business cards under the tip when it descends to find the surface (you can use whatever represents the distance you want to keep from the sled surface as the "spacer"). This automatically leaves a slight gap from the sled surface and the tip of the probe, plus I don't need to input any numbers manually.

Have you seen the Scanning Probe 'How It Works' Video (http://www.carvebuddy.com/scanningvideo_how_it_works.html)? I use a tapered piece of wood as the "spacer" in the video. I pretty much just use a couple business cards now.