PDA

View Full Version : Burn marks with 1.132

dwbox
02-14-2009, 07:13 PM
All,

I did not use my machine for several months and got it fired back up a few weeks ago. I went ahead and upgraded to 1.132. I notice now that large centerline text seems to carve more slowly, thereby leaving burn marks in the letters. I'm using the 90 degree V bit and have not hafd this happen in the past. Has anyone else noticed this?

BTW, I am also getting CCM errors but I don't think it's the machine becuase I have one project that gets the error in the same place every time. I just press enter and go my merry way. I would like to figure out the burns though.

Dan-Woodman
02-14-2009, 08:47 PM
Yea I get burn marks too. 5" letters in White oak though. I was useing "outline" and got them. I even had it make three passes on each letter. Burned on first two passes and third pass was a cleanup pass at faster feed and it took away the burn marks on the straight lines of the letters,but then burned on the curved parts where it slowed down.
I think the feed rate needs to be faster for lettering.
I also always get CCM after it powers up to start a raster carve.
later Daniel

pkunk
02-14-2009, 09:11 PM
The most common cause for a router bit burning is a dirty/dull bit. When mine start to burn, I clean with 'Greased Lightning', inspect with a magnifying glass and touch up if needed with a diamond file. Solves my burning problems except in soft maple. Soft maple will burn with a new bit at any speed.