PDA

View Full Version : Typical hours between breakdowns

tickridge
02-14-2009, 10:41 AM
What is the typical number of hours until a major breakdown occurs? What is the typical lifespan of the machine in general?

Amonaug
02-14-2009, 12:38 PM
In my opinion that would be depending on the user and how well they maintain the machine. Just like a car, if you don't change the oil regularly and check fluids, etc the car is going to break down. If you do the car will last years without problems.

Same goes for the CW. If you keep it lubed and cleaned both during and after carvings parts will last hundreds of hours. If not you can get troubles in only a few minutes. The key is to LEARN the machine.

Digitalwoodshop
02-14-2009, 12:48 PM
That is a hard question to answer....

The most replaced part is the QC and it depends on how careful you are cleaning and lubricating it and properly installing the bit holders. Not getting the bit holder properly seated will result in it flying out and damaging the QC.

The second most replaced part is the Sand Paper Belts. If you place the right side guide TOO close to the board it could cause the board to JAM. If you load the board at a slight angle then it will act like a car with it's wheels turned to the curb and jam. So most of the time a broken or rolled under belt is pilot error.

The X Gear can break if the Sand Paper Belts hold and there is a jam.

The Flex Shaft needs CARE and Tips and Tricks is the best place to get the details.
The Z Truck high Speed Bearings can go bad due to over lubrication of the flex shaft.

Cut Motor brushes around 400 hours.

The OLD Z Motors and 16 pin cable has been known to give Z Stall and Z Problems. Having the NEW Z and the heavier 14 pin cable is best for reliability.

Board Detectors have a short life if they have not been glued.... Now they glue them securing the circuit board to the plastic holder. In the past the board vibrated and the LED's broke off. Tape over the back of the board detector can help keep the dust out as dust behind the clear lens will give you errors.

Well that sums it up "In MY Opinion"...... Others will have a different take on this question.

AL

b.sumner47
02-14-2009, 06:08 PM
I have one thing to add to the list.If you do have an ocasion to call LHR the tech. are pretty good on finding the problems all you have to do is listen to them.There's alot of good people here on the forum who are ready to offer you some advice. Capt.Barry

tickridge
02-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Thanks, Digitalwoodshop. That's a big help.

Any guestimate, though, abuot what's typical for run time before something occurs?

I did look in the FAQs for typical or expected lifespans of the machine and things like carving bits, etc., but didn't come up with anything. I don't plan on using it in a production environment or to make a large income with it, but I do hope to be able to have the machine pay for itself. It's hard to come up with rates to charge without knowing how long something can be expeted to last.

Amonaug
02-16-2009, 12:00 PM
I have about 200 hours on my CW and have replaced the QC 3-4 times mostly due to user error. The Z-bundle has been replaced because the old model gave out and it was covered under warranty (the QC isn't covered under warranty).

Replaced sand paper belts once. A couple board sensors and cover sensors. Other than that everything else is original equipment. The cut motor brushes are at about 50% or so and will need to be changed soon. All total the parts I've had to replace that weren't under warranty cost maybe $60-$100 and takes about a week to get the parts.

What you are asking for (time for typical breakdown) can't be answered in definite terms. It's different for everyone. Some have absolutely no problems for 100's of hours while others can run into a problem in a few minutes and most of those are user errors.

Most people here charge based on design time for the project, carve time, finish time and materials.

TerryT
02-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Mine worked flawlessly for 140 hours. Then I had to change the chuck. I'm pushing 600 hours now and have done some repairs including Y and Z truck bearings, a board sensor, traction belts, Y motor and Z bundle.

Hexe SA
02-17-2009, 01:13 PM
What is the typical number of hours until a major breakdown occurs? What is the typical lifespan of the machine in general?
Plan on paying for your wood that you use. I'm 300 hours plus and that is what it paid for. The rest is like a car you pay for the maintenance and by carpooling you don't recover the cost of the car just the gas.

TerryT
02-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Some situations may be different. I have paid for my machine, all the parts I have used, all the parts on the shelf, all the wood I have used, enough to buy a second machine and more. Still going strong and getting ready for a busy up coming season.

JT75
02-19-2009, 04:37 PM
I have the Sears version and opted for the 5 year warranty which I can probably refund before the 26th on based on your responses.....

It seems like a number of issues can come up, at random, and routinely. It's bound to break...sawdust and technology usually don't mix! Do you think the sears warranty is worth it? Will I be able to order parts/get service from CW if not? Thanks

This machine has certainly changed the way I make things!!!

AskBud
02-19-2009, 05:19 PM
I have the Sears version and opted for the 5 year warranty which I can probably refund before the 26th on based on your responses.....

It seems like a number of issues can come up, at random, and routinely. It's bound to break...sawdust and technology usually don't mix! Do you think the sears warranty is worth it? Will I be able to order parts/get service from CW if not? Thanks

This machine has certainly changed the way I make things!!!

I have 2 units with the 5 year plan. I force Sears to do almost all the repair. That way I am sure that my record is up to date and so far, other that the "down-time", they fix or replace the units. Their learning curve is like ours, but they foot the bill on their mistakes. Units #1 & 2 have both been replaced with #3 & 4, both of which have been repaired at least once.
AskBud

myairplane
02-21-2009, 08:06 AM
The research I did prior top making this purchase told me it all boils down to maintenence, you need to clean and lube your machine, every time your done cutting clean it inside and out, be very detailed in this. Lube the flexshaft properly evey 20 hours. Its a good idea to have a table saw so that you can make sure your boards are straight and not over tax the motors by "wedging".

I usualy stop my machine every hour of cutting to vacum out the dust. Everythign behind the Z Truck is exposed which makes me worry about damage from dust build-up. Also, have extra cutters on hand incase one breaks. Make sure the machien is on a flat and sturdy surface when operating to cut down the vibrations. Also take care where you operate this machine, its VERY noisy and will annoy the crap out of anyone trying to sleep if your like me and doing it in your basement, the sounds carries thru the ventilation all the way up to the second floor!

Also use the proper wood for your project, not only will this save you money but machine time as well by not having to repeat the project.

I built the Neoclassic box project, first time in Oak which the grain was too "open" for my taste. Second time in Basswood which was far too soft and a pain to sand! Today I'm going to go get some Maple or Mohogany to try again. The Bassword carved great! a lot of "fuzzies" though and since the wood is so soft the detail was getting ruined from sanding. I thought I had it all sanded good, but it really shows up when using a dark stain! The improperly sanded areas will show up very dark, looks almost "burnt".. :(

pkniff
01-19-2011, 07:36 PM
I got mine three years ago to many break downs why to often have so many problems with this machine about ready to take it out back and make a you tube video of a 50 bmg hitting it.It breaks down every time we use it nothing but a bunch of scrap as far as I can see.I have 20 hours run time on machine I think I recived a a very bug prone machine.
It would be nice if Carvewright would stand behine there machines like the american company Dillion corp these guys are true Americans with thier no BS policy.

CarverJerry
01-19-2011, 07:59 PM
I just did my first repair and that was replacing the cut motor brushes. I thought that the magic number for those was 250, I was at 248 and the tool didn't stop the spinning when it bobbed down on the keypad side breaking the 1/8". Was told that was a sign of worn brushes. I changed them and now the tool stops completely before it bobbs down.
Other than that I changed to a rock chuck shortly after I got it, put on a ringneck blues vacuume attachment with a Cincinnati 3/4hp vacuume, keep it dry lubed up and the flex shaft clean and lubed. It runs great.

CJ

Frederick_P
01-20-2011, 07:54 AM
I have close to 500 hours on my machine. I agree with the responses so far but would like to add special emphasis on keeping the machine clean, lubed and calibrated. Don't use a shop vac to clean out the machine. Static electricity can kill the electronics. USE A DUST COLLECTION SYSTEM! Either purchase one from one of the people here who sell them or make your own using the plans posted previously here: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?13433-Dust-Collection-the-final-answer

Remember, this machine is not a power tool, it is a robot. As such it is a complicated piece of machinery that needs to be cared for properly in order to work properly. If you do, you can expect hundreds of hours of use before you need to do any major maintenance. I expect that I will be able to finish my kitchen with the carved cabinets before I experience any major problems and after that point, the machine has paid for itself.