PDA

View Full Version : Fuzzies? Here's a tip...

djarboe
02-13-2009, 03:45 PM
This is probably already known to many, but wanted to share something that worked for me.

I carved a plaque from maple, and ended up with a lot of fuzzies. After trying a torch (lightly), the tiny fuzzies were gone, but the larger ones remained. Not wanting to char my piece (well, I actually did in a couple of tiny spots), I started playing with a number of alternatives. I even considered getting an abrasive air brush or making a vibratory polisher.

What I ended up trying, and it worked, is taking the carving "chips" out of my shop vac, putting them on the plaque, and then scrubbing the surface with a tooth brush. It takes a little time, but is sure much faster than trying to sand. I scrub in several different directions, and then in small circles. I just make sure there are plenty of carving chips in the area I am scrubbing.

Just passing this along...

atauer
02-13-2009, 03:57 PM
I haven't ever tried that before. I think I may give it a shot. I can see how the dust would act as an abrasive. Using a power toothbrush would work as well. I know that one of the members here had put a small piece of snadpaper on a spinning toothbrush and was using that, but I have never heard of using sawdust.

I think I'll give it a shot on my next test carve.

The call center tries to run one test a week, just to keep fresh on the machine and its functions.

djarboe
02-13-2009, 04:14 PM
It's not perfect, but a lot better than sanding. What made me try it is that I remembered wood chips, walnut shells, etc. are sometimes used in tumblers for surface cleaning/polishing of metal parts without causing surface damage. This approach allows you to even get in tiny recesses and crevices. Plus, it vacuums off easy, and you don't have to worry about embedded abrasive coming out later.

Give it a try. As I said, not perfect... but better and quicker than anything else I could come up with.

I haven't ever tried that before. I think I may give it a shot. I can see how the dust would act as an abrasive. Using a power toothbrush would work as well. I know that one of the members here had put a small piece of snadpaper on a spinning toothbrush and was using that, but I have never heard of using sawdust.

I think I'll give it a shot on my next test carve.

The call center tries to run one test a week, just to keep fresh on the machine and its functions.

Dan-Woodman
02-13-2009, 09:06 PM
Someone with enough money should invent a tooth brush with sanding grit applied to the bristles (and cut us in of coarce).
later Daniel

wasacop75
02-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Would a brass brush work? One like is used in cleaning guns???
they make tooth brush like ones for that or even a bore brush in almost
any size.

Again, just a thought:o

djarboe
02-14-2009, 08:10 AM
I actually started down that road. I was sure something like this would be available somewhere, but could only find really big sanding brushes that go on a drill.

So I began thinking how it could be done, and tried a few experiments. I've already learned a few ways NOT to do it. Still working on that one:idea:

Someone with enough money should invent a tooth brush with sanding grit applied to the bristles (and cut us in of coarce).
later Daniel

djarboe
02-14-2009, 08:14 AM
That might work also. I would think the toothbrush would be better suited to removing fuzzies without scratching the underlying wood, since the long bristles would flex rather that gouge. Hmm... now where did I put that gun cleaning kit...

I may try that today... thanks for the reply!

Would a brass brush work? One like is used in cleaning guns???
they make tooth brush like ones for that or even a bore brush in almost
any size.

Again, just a thought:o

pkunk
02-14-2009, 09:45 AM
A coat of sanding sealer first, stiffins up the fibers and then use a sanding sponge. How about dipping the toothbrush in a diluted glue size & dip in fine blasting sand?

rickyz
02-14-2009, 09:52 AM
anyone try the sanding files used for fingernails? (can't remember the actual name). i think using the wood shavings might be ok, kinda like burnishing the wood when you do something on the lathe.

Eagle Hollow
02-14-2009, 09:59 AM
I have good luck using a short bristle brass brush used for cleaning grills. It removes a big part of the fuzzies then I use Paul's method of applying sanding-sealer followed by sanding.
It also does an excellent job of smoothing lithophanes.

Semper Fi
02-15-2009, 07:02 PM
I was using the brass brushes before I discovered the sanding flops. Since then I've used the flops on my drill press, set at lowest speed. I start with a 100 grit, then 180, 220 and finally 320. I find it easier to feed the work over the flops than trying to hold a portable drill with them in it. Very little to no wear on the carving.

slcombs
02-15-2009, 08:09 PM
Where Do You Get Sanding Flops

Thanks
STEVE

Semper Fi
02-16-2009, 12:37 PM
I don't remember exactly were I ordered them from, but here is a source I found by Googling "sanding flops". Hope this helps.

http://www.stockroomsupply.com/The_Sanding_Mop.php

After some more seaching, here is the ones I bought. I would recommend the 6" size. They are are more flexable than the 4" ones. Sorry it took so long, but they last a very long time, so I just forgot where I purchased them. They are expensive compared to other methods, but I think they are well worth the money.

Kenm810
02-16-2009, 01:20 PM
If it Helps the Woodcraft Stores has them now also
or can get them for you.
I saved a couple bucks on shipping that way.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=61030&ProductID=149212

jadnil
02-17-2009, 01:54 PM
...is what I use. This is much like the abrasive toothbrush idea that someone mentioned earlier. Wish I had invented these...they are great! By an outfit called Dico, I believe. Got mine at ACE hardware. There are various sizes and formats but the one I like is a 4" or 5" dia wheel for the drill - looks much like a bright orange wire wheel but very gentle on wood, yet effective. You can run your hand across it while it's running.

I do production gun /rifle furniture and have stopped using wire brushes and sanding wheels in favor of this product.

Hope this helps.

-Tim.

Kenm810
02-17-2009, 02:12 PM
By George, I think I have a couple of those !! :razz:

Semper Fi
02-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Ken, seeing how you have them both, which one do you prefer? I hate to buy another gadget, unless it is an improvement over the last one. LOL

Dan-Woodman
02-17-2009, 08:42 PM
I don't care much for those , they are really stiff, and don't seem to be that abrasive.
They put lines in the carving I was doing several months ago. I don't remember what kind of wood it was. I got them at HF.
later Daniel

Kenm810
02-17-2009, 09:14 PM
To tell the truth, one of my sons bought them
for me several months ago.
Until I just saw the post earlier, I forgot I had them.
You can probability tell by the photo, that one hasn't
even been in a drill yet. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon11.gif