PDA

View Full Version : Carving Photos

The WoodShack
02-13-2009, 01:00 PM
I recently tried to carve a photo of a persons face. And let's say, it didn't turn out too well. I have very little experience with the machine so far, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I need the main detail in the carving to "stand out" more. Please help!

Hexe SA
02-13-2009, 01:08 PM
I recently tried to carve a photo of a persons face. And let's say, it didn't turn out too well. I have very little experience with the machine so far, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I need the main detail in the carving to "stand out" more. Please help!

Try searching "Lithos" there is a bunch of info. Plus check tips and tricks and also under Carvewright home page support tutorials on photographs.
Eva

JVallario
02-14-2009, 09:17 AM
They are tough - no doubt about it. Lots of photoshop time. One thing that helped me a lot was downloading the free textures at (http://www.carvebuddy.com/free_stuff.html) and using a high gloss gold texture to spot problem areas.
Attached is my only run at it so far.

Kenm810
02-14-2009, 09:24 AM
Very Nice John,

Your project is one of the Best
photo carving I've seen.

Thanks for Sharing your Photo
also your Tip about Spotting Problem areas.

JVallario
02-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Thanks Ken - that means a lot coming from you. The thanks should go to Michael T aka mtylerfl as he gave it to me. The text would have been better if I had done it with centerline. Next time.

Amonaug
02-14-2009, 12:41 PM
To carve a photo takes a lot of adjusting the image in an image editor. You can't just load a photo into the CW and expect a decent carve.

If you are new to the machine I'd suggest trying some simple carvings with the default patterns and learn how the machine operates and how it uses the greyscale to determine carving the depth of points.