PDA

View Full Version : Not an owner - Yet!

letra-tek
02-13-2009, 07:47 AM
I confess that I didn't know anything about the CarveWright machine until a couple days ago when a user posted a link to my website. Now I am intrigued.
I own two big CNC Routers that can do amazing things, but the gantries must weigh well over 100 pounds so working on small, intricate parts is kind of "clunky". Maybe a smaller, affordable machine like this would be a good addition but I really hadn't considered or researched the idea before.

My question to you CarveWright Machine users is this:

Which other machines did you compare this machine to and what were your reasons for going with the CarveWright?

I look forward to your input!

Kenm810
02-13-2009, 08:22 AM
letra-tek,

Welcome to the CW Forum

You sound A little like me a few years ago when I first read about these machines,
I was really not into cnc machines, but knew a few wood workers that were.
Their machines seemed huge to me for what I wanted it to do, and cost from 6 to 10 thousand dollars and up.
The whole CW Machine weighs only 80lb’s and sit in a bends or Cabinet very nicely.
I also wanted to do small fairly detailed projects form wood and hdu Sign or Casting Foam.
I don’t use is as a production machine although some do.
If your interested this Form is a great place to gather info and ideas,
also if you go to the CarveWright site you can down load Tips and Tricks folders plus
a demo version of the Designer software to see what the carver can really do.

http://www.carvewright.com/cms/downloads

cnsranch
02-13-2009, 10:25 AM

Which other machines did you compare this machine to and what were your reasons for going with the CarveWright?

There is no other machine even close to this price point that the Carvewright/Compucarve competes with.

Shop Bot would be the only machine close.

Hey, aren't monopolies illegal?

lostinthefrost
02-13-2009, 11:02 AM
I looked at several units too. Being this is not my main job and it's only a hobby, it was hard to think about spending a ton of money on a CNC.

I can say that I have had my system for a few months, had some troubles, but created a learning experience and a better appreciation of the unit. Also I have called several times 10+ into tech support on the software and hardware side. They have been the most helpful and patient. Also have pulled my machine apart on the phone and fixed and/or ordered parts for it.

On this specific forum, there have been many people to stop and help you and make suggestions or give solutions. I have been in the sales and support of high end electronics and computers for 10+ years and have never experienced the customer service and help as I do here.
It's a great community. Come on over....

jcorder
02-13-2009, 04:36 PM
There is no other machine even close to this price point that the Carvewright/Compucarve competes with.

Shop Bot would be the only machine close.

Hey, aren't monopolies illegal?

Nope not illegal, especially since you can use it to make your own BOARDWALK!

Ike
02-13-2009, 04:57 PM
I confess that I didn't know anything about the CarveWright machine until a couple days ago when a user posted a link to my website. Now I am intrigued.
I own two big CNC Routers that can do amazing things, but the gantries must weigh well over 100 pounds so working on small, intricate parts is kind of "clunky". Maybe a smaller, affordable machine like this would be a good addition but I really hadn't considered or researched the idea before.

I look forward to your input!

Lol didn't mean to hook you!!! They are fun, but keep in mind not as fast as the bigger CNC. Plus a little more TLC since they are so compact, with a dust collector or a down draft system and proper lubing you will be fine!

Ike

Dan-Woodman
02-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Keep in mind also , it is a hobby machine , I believe it's 1 hp and it has a flex drive shaft. It will struggle routing out large letter signs, 5" letters is White Oak,but if you use it stictly as deigned for it's awsome.
later Daniel

GrammaPam
02-13-2009, 11:35 PM
My experience had been on Dalgren rotary engravers, Epilog laser engravers and 6-head, 8 color embroidery machines. They generally allow a little operator input while most detailed communication is done through a secondary program. Upon retiring from public work I fell in love with wood again. I knew I wanted a CNC router and studied a few but the only one with representation at the woodworking show was Carvewright.

They are all similar in some respect but very different as a whole. Just like your children. And just like your children you love them for their individual qualities.

G.P.

letra-tek
02-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Thanks for all the replies!
It's going to take me a while to decide if I can find a market for the work. (As some of you stated, this machine is usually for hobbies. Unfortunately, I don't have time for a hobby, yet. This thing would have to pay its way.)
Actually, I haven't even seen anything produced by the CarveWright with my own eyes (other than photos posted here).
I would be glad to trade some material for a couple examples of the work this machine can do.
I have a lot of scraps of acrylic (various sizes & thicknesses), HDU (1", 2" & 3" thick), and some Corian. I also have some scraps of what we call Strato-Tek. It's a 3-layered HDPE material that routs like butter.

Anybody interested? What kind of samples can you make?