PDA

View Full Version : Help With The Wilderness Eagle Clock

slcombs
02-10-2009, 08:18 PM
I Just Finished carving The Clock But It Did Not Do All Of the Cutout It Cut Half Way Through The Roof parts But It Did Not Cut The Hole In the Center Or The Outside Of The Main Body At All Any Help With This Would Be Appreciated

Thanks
STEVE

jcorder
02-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Steve,
If you could, post the mpc unless it is a commercial pattern. That way we can take a look and see if we can figure out what happened.

Jeff

slcombs
02-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Sorry But It Is A Project from Carvewright By Michael Tyler

STEVE

jcorder
02-10-2009, 08:56 PM
OK, Michael posts on here regularly, you might contact him and see if he can help you. I am sure he will have an idea of what happened.

Good luck
Jeff

mtylerfl
02-11-2009, 07:06 AM
I Just Finished carving The Clock But It Did Not Do All Of the Cutout It Cut Half Way Through The Roof parts But It Did Not Cut The Hole In the Center Or The Outside Of The Main Body At All Any Help With This Would Be Appreciated

Thanks
STEVE

Hello Steve,

Sorry to hear you're having a problem. This is an easy one to run, and everything is already setup for you so that it is basically "automatic". You will be prompted every step of the way as to what to do. The entire project uses just the two bits that came with your machine - the 1/16" carving bit and the 1/8" cutting bit.

The mpc's have cutpaths for those areas you described, and as long as you followed the instructions during the setup of the bits, and throughout the project run, the cutpaths would have been performed after all carving was completed. You will have been prompted for a bit exchange to swap out the carving bit for the cutting bit, then pressed ENTER to proceed - if you accidentally pressed the "STOP" button instead, then the project may have been halted prematurely.

Somewhere along the line I suspect that there was a mis-step, but am only guessing since I don't have any information to go on. Try to re-trace exactly what occurred when you ran the project and let me know if you encountered anything unusual with your machine, or if you had any confusion along the way during any of the steps.

Icutone2
02-11-2009, 07:08 AM
Greetings all,
My Clocks also gave me problems. Tried it twice and had the same thing happen, that is the tops did not match the size of the bottoms. Tried it twice to compare the parts with each other. Ended up scribing the top onto a fresh board and cutting it out with the band saw to get two that fit. May be I am doing some thing wrong? Tried twice same result whats up?
Thanks for any comments and or help.

mtylerfl
02-11-2009, 08:02 AM
Greetings all,
My Clocks also gave me problems. Tried it twice and had the same thing happen, that is the tops did not match the size of the bottoms. Tried it twice to compare the parts with each other. Ended up scribing the top onto a fresh board and cutting it out with the band saw to get two that fit. May be I am doing some thing wrong? Tried twice same result whats up?
Thanks for any comments and or help.

Wow! That would be very unusual. Did you notice any tracking problems during your run (or anything else out of the ordinary)? Did you use the board dimensions that were specified in the instructions?...

Boards with the following dimensions:
1 for FRONT: .75” x 11.25” x 26”
(nominal 1 x 12 x 26” long)

1 for BACK:

.75” x 11.25” x 23”
(nominal 1 x 12 x 23” long)

NOTE: Do not use boards that are shorter in length than specified above.

Any deviation from the instructions can yield unexpected results. It's a "plug-n-play" project - just load the mpc's to the memory card, insert the boards with the dimensions specified and it should come out perfectly.
Please let me know if you made any changes or not. Thanks!

Icutone2
02-11-2009, 08:13 AM
Tracking had no problems every thing went as programed the size of the board was 11.125 not 11.250 each board was the same size and still the finished size was different. Would it change anything if I change the size of the board to 11.125 in the project file?

mtylerfl
02-11-2009, 08:16 AM
Tracking had no problems every thing went as programed the size of the board was 11.125 not 11.250 each board was the same size and still the finished size was different. Would it change anything if I change the size of the board to 11.125 in the project file?

There's your problem! Changing the board size caused the machine to resize the entire layout for either one or both of the mpc's (reduce it). That's why your top/bottom did not match.

If you run it again and use the specified board sizes, it will be perfect! (actually, you CAN go BIGGER, but you CANNOT go smaller on the length and width of the board dimensions)

Icutone2
02-11-2009, 08:21 AM
Thank you I will try it again with the wright size board and let you know how it goes. I did not resize the files thay were as new when I carved them. Thanks

mtylerfl
02-11-2009, 08:32 AM
Thank you I will try it again with the wright size board and let you know how it goes. I did not resize the files thay were as new when I carved them. Thanks

I realize you did not resize the layout in Designer - your machine did during the setup procedure. You undoubtedly recieved a prompt from the machine during setup that asked something like "Resize to Fit" or "Fit Project to Width" or something along that line. When you responded affirmatively, that's when the resize of the mpc layout occurred.

Using the specified board size will eliminate the problem altogether.:)

TIP: When I specify, say, a 26" length, I cut my board to be a "smidgen" longer - maybe 26 1/16" just to be absolutely certain that the board is long enough so that I do not get a machine prompt for resizing the project. If you ever get a "resize" prompt in any way, stop and check that your board is the proper size. You do NOT want to say "Yes" to a resize prompt - ever. If you get the prompt, you need to figure out why you're getting the prompt and make the correction to your board before proceeding with your project.

Along the same line, if you are indeed using the board dimensions specified in the project instructions, when you upload the project to your card and see the Auto-Jig warning - you need to choose "Ignore" just as it is outlined in the instructions. Otherwise, the auto-jig can throw the project off too. NOTE: When you choose to ignore the auto-jig, you must be absolutely certain you are using the correct board dimensions or you can damage your machine or spoil the project, or both.

Icutone2
02-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Thank you for the reply and the solution,and happy carving!

Digitalwoodshop
02-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Did the machine ever ask you to "SCALE the PROJECT" after measuring the board and did you say YES or NO or LOAD a NEW Board.

Scale means to CHANGE the SIZE of your artwork to FIT a smaller board.

AL

mtylerfl
02-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Thank you for the reply and the solution,and happy carving!

You are very welcome - glad it was a simple solution!

slcombs
02-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Hi Michael

The Project Carved Fine Untell Cutout Time then It said to change to the 1/8 bit i did then it said the depth did not match it said to enter to proceed or stop to abort i proceeded it cut half way threw the board so it did not cut the hole for the clock and about 3/32s around the main body of the clock and about half way on the roof parts and yes the bit was the same one i did the setup with and the boards are the right size the back ptn cut just fine but it was on my other CW Thanks For Any Help

THANKS
STEVE

mtylerfl
02-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Hi Michael

The Project Carved Fine Untell Cutout Time then It said to change to the 1/8 bit i did then it said the depth did not match it said to enter to proceed or stop to abort i proceeded it cut half way threw the board so it did not cut the hole for the clock and about 3/32s around the main body of the clock and about half way on the roof parts and yes the bit was the same one i did the setup with and the boards are the right size the back ptn cut just fine but it was on my other CW Thanks For Any Help

THANKS
STEVE

Hi Steve,

Ok, it's a mechanical problem of some sort.

1) The bit plate may not have come out all the way either during the initial bit homing or after the bit swap. Clean and lube the pivot point on the swinging bit plate.

2) Another cause could be an obstruction that prevented the Y-truck from traveling sufficiently to the right during the bit plate/bit homing procedure.

3) Still another possible cause is that the bit adaptor had a loose screw, causing movement of the bit itself.

4) Another possibility is that the bit was not fully seated either during the initial bit homing or after the bit swap. Make sure you clean out the QC of all debris between bit swaps and check that the bit is fully seated using a mirror and a flashlight to see if the two red marks are touching.

5) Also, do the "tug" and "wiggle" test recommend by Digitalwoodshop...after you insert the bit and adaptor, tug down and wiggle the bit to see if there is any movement. If so, remove, clean, check the setscrews, check for any "BB" marks in your adaptor, and reinsert, tug and wiggle again. Edit: any "BB" marks - don't use the bit/adaptor and consider replacing the QC.

Most likely cause was probably 1,2 or 4, with a leaning to "4".

Hope that helps!:)