PDA

View Full Version : French Musket (rifle)

usd5000000
02-10-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm trying to help our local school get some French muskets for their upcoming play. I have a JPEG as attached. Am I crazy to try making it with the CW?

We need 15.

I also have a slightly higher resolution image, but it was too big to upload.

Will I be able to clean up the image and carve this thing successfully?

Will it take days? Maybe I can just carve the stock and then attach a piece of conduit.

Thanks,
Jeff

cnsranch
02-11-2009, 09:47 AM
There are some pretty creative folks here that can make that into a good pattern.

My guess is that you'll have no less than 10 hours per copy if you're making it full size and two sided.

You can take the attached, and let the CW cut out the muskets simply as profiles - that wouldn't take long at all. It's not what you're looking for, but with a little paint, and imagination, the kids would be just as happy.

usd5000000
02-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Looks like best route may be to do most of the shaping by hand.

The main issue would be the trigger and lock mechanism. Maybe I can just carve that and the kids can glue it on the stocks and paint it.

I've attached a picture of the mechanism. It might also be a long carve too. Since I haven't turned on my machine yet I don't really know.

Thanks,
Jeff

bjbethke
02-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Looks like best route may be to do most of the shaping by hand.

The main issue would be the trigger and lock mechanism. Maybe I can just carve that and the kids can glue it on the stocks and paint it.

I've attached a picture of the mechanism. It might also be a long carve too. Since I haven't turned on my machine yet I don't really know.

Thanks,
Jeff
I tried to make a PTN, if you like it send me an e-mail address I will send you the file with the PTN's and the MPW images.

bjbethke
02-11-2009, 07:28 PM
I changed the Quantize Filter level from 64 to 2 in the pattern editor to smooth out the PTN, if you have the Pattern Editor the MPW files my help you change the pattern more. Send me your e-mail address and I will send you the complete file. PM me.

usd5000000
02-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Everyone on this forum is too kind. It's really the best forum I've even been associated with. Everyone is so helpful.

Thanks for working with the pattern.

I'll send my email address over.

Thanks again,
Jeff

DACCI
02-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Just out of the box and I can't get past the "Carvewright woodworking machine" on the LCD. I have formated the card and downloaded the latest version of the software. I know this is in the wrong post, but I can't figure out how to post my own question. Any help would be great. Had this thing for a week and can't even get it to run. Thanks.

Kenm810
02-12-2009, 06:19 AM
DACCI,

Welcome to the CW Forum

To start a new Thread go to the subject heading you want
and click on the New Thread Option near the top of the page
The Question you just asked could be Posted
In the Machine or Troubleshooting Sections