PDA

View Full Version : Black Corian

MCGEE2SKINNER
02-10-2009, 10:17 AM
Hi
Has anyone had any luck with black corian?

JIM

atauer
02-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Running the Black Corian through may cause board sensor issues. It may have a difficult time picking up the corian. You may have to put a piece of paper on top of it.

want2b
02-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Agree about the need to at least tape the ends, I've been running some African Mahogany and have had to tape all the ends. Apparently there isn't enough difference between the dark wood and the sandpaper drive belts for the sensor to tell the end of a board. Really would like to see a litho done in black, got a feeling the contrast might not show up as much thru black. Was thinking about spraying a bone piece black or blue before carving to see how much it would accent the actual pic?? Will try when I get a chance & post a pic.
Rick H.

want2b
02-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Finally got a sec and ran these through. The MPC is the same for both and the corian is cut from the same piece along with being mounted on the same sled. The only difference is I sprayed the face side of one piece with 2 coats of flat black enamel prior to the carving. I apologise for the quality, I normally would have cleaned up the pics of my parents to eliminate the couple of 'hot white spots' & some of the feathering around the faces but was more interested in the visual differences.
Everyone can make their on choice, my wife thinks the painted one focuses the viewer on the objects intended(guess which style I'll be using in the future).
Rick H
(am considering a coat of clear to try and protect the black during carving as I did note a few nicks in the black from chips on the rollers)