PDA

View Full Version : Optimize setting

lhanner
02-09-2009, 02:09 PM
I have not been able to tell a diff between Optimize and best settings. I just wondered if anyone else has noticed a diff.

Kenm810
02-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Do you mean something other than taking 30% to 40% longer to Carve a project,
as for me, --- not yet.

cnsranch
02-09-2009, 04:14 PM
I did a rendition of Sandbouy's lighthouse project last weekend on optimum, and had virtually no sanding to do (on select pine).

Sorry, my sister in law got hold of it before I could take a pic.

LittleRedWoodshop
02-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Did a project this weekend in select pine - on optimal and the results were the same. Little or no sanding.

jcorder
02-09-2009, 10:01 PM
I have only carved one project on optimum, it was in oak and I found a huge difference, there was virtually no sanding to do at all, it was totally clean. I won't use it on every carve, but I will on the ones that need that extra touch.

Jeff

bfcg
02-09-2009, 11:22 PM
I have not tried a 3d carving yet, just got the machine on Friday. I had all kinds of problems with the probe wire. I am not sure what the differences in resolution are but I can see that when the difference in scan time is 5 hrs vs. 18 hrs. it must be noticable.
I guess I could do the math but it is very late and I just got the thing scanning again so I'm going to bed. It's been a long day.

Eagle Hollow
02-10-2009, 08:39 AM
This carving on a 12' X 36" surface was done on optimal setting. Virtually NO clean-up was required. Scraped off a few little fuzzies with my fingernail...But the "best" setting gives excellent results also and takes MUCH less time. For new owners you might want to consider how much of your 200 hours of carving time, under warranty, you want to use on optimal setting.

brdad
02-10-2009, 09:43 AM
I have only carved one thing using optimal on a maple board, and did not see any significant difference. But I won't give up, every board is different and a few you just can't make a clean cut or carve in. Wood is anything but consistent. I probably would have posted a pic by now, but I broke my 1/8 cutting bit cutting the outline and had to set that project down for a few days.

luckettg
02-11-2009, 07:10 AM
Let me see if I can post some pics on here. I carved one in MDF using the "best" setting, then the same in Red Oak, using the "optimize" setting, and it was reduced by 1/2 inch in diameter to accommodate a smaller board width. In either case the bit optimization was set to "none" in Designer.