PDA

View Full Version : Lettering

sparky
02-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Is there a way to cut out letters (say a Welcome sign) with a strip left on the bottom to sit on? I have tried with text but don't see a way to cut the letters out. I guess it would be outline and not raster or centerline.

brdad
02-08-2009, 08:07 PM
I basically did this quick by using raster letters and then adding the rectangle, selecting everything and choosing "outline pattern". Then I assigned cut paths to those outlines. There is a step or two I am forgetting, like hiding the original raster text. I think it'd be just as easy or easier to draw the desired result in a paint program and import that as a pattern.

Of course, some of the more experienced folks here probably have an even better way.

sparky
02-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Thats exactly what I want to do but I still can't, could you elaborate a little more for a dummy like me.

Ike
02-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Thats exactly what I want to do but I still can't, could you elaborate a little more for a dummy like me.

Sparky, looks like you were left high and dry! The way I cut out letters is choose the letter style you like type out WELCOME then in the designer use the outline function on top. If you do not know what button it is if you put your arrow over the functions it will show you each name. Then you need to make your rectangle with the rectangle, square function. Line it up where you want it and then in your carving list. Holding control hightlight welcome and the rectangle.

The cut out function should be highlighted, so use it and then push flip cut and accept and you have your cut out letters! Oh I forgot one thing I adjust the font height fron 100 to 999.

Ike

sparky
02-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks for your reply, Still having problems. When I type out WELCOME then back to designer the outline function is not operable. The icon is not active and neither is it active on the pull down menu. I mustn be doing something wrong.

geekviking
02-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Clicking on the word "welcome" to highlight it first maybe? :) Or, right click on the word welcome in designer, and it should give you the outline option...

sparky
02-08-2009, 09:22 PM
It is highlighted but still no outline function

Ike
02-08-2009, 09:27 PM
gv, is right the lettering must be selected before you can make any changes to it. Give it a try. The letters must be in raster, if you use the outline type when you choose the font and type the wording the functions will not work.

Ike

sparky
02-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks Ike ,I found it just before you posted ,Like you said must be raster!

Thanks guys ,I still in the learning curve but enjoying my machine,does great work when I get it figured right

geekviking
02-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Us too! :)

bjbethke
02-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Sparky, looks like you were left high and dry! The way I cut out letters is choose the letter style you like type out WELCOME then in the designer use the outline function on top. If you do not know what button it is if you put your arrow over the functions it will show you each name. Then you need to make your rectangle with the rectangle, square function. Line it up where you want it and then in your carving list. Holding control hightlight welcome and the rectangle.

The cut out function should be highlighted, so use it and then push flip cut and accept and you have your cut out letters! Oh I forgot one thing I adjust the font height fron 100 to 999.

Ike
IKE the way your MPC is written, I think your carving will fall apart. Check back side.

I would do it like this.

Ike
02-08-2009, 09:46 PM
IKE the way your MPC is written, I think your carving will fall apart. Check back side.

I would do it like this.
It may I didn't line the rectangle up, I was just trying to show sparky how to do make the letters. So sparky don't use mine!!!

Thanks bj!!

Ike

LollyWood
02-08-2009, 09:46 PM
I've done a few of these. Will need a bit of hand sanding in the nooks, but not so bad. ;)

Rectangle is not a "line box," but a shape made w/ MS paint (standard accessory item) and saved as a shape. After outlining, set depth to (0) and hight to 999. You can play w/ this also for different looks. :) See http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWright_Tips_and_Tricks_Mar08.pdf. The method is the same as overhanging a pattern. Thanks again to all the contributors for these T&Ts, worth their weight in gold.

You can try different fonts, just check letter spacing and ensure words are touching rectangle prior to out lining both words and rectangle. Then select both and out line. Use cut path to remove unwanted sections....tada.

** one note, when the machine is cutting the centers of the letters watch the tabs hold the small cut outs. They come loose "during carve" and get stuck under rollers...problems.**

This is as close to scrolling w/ this thing I've been able to come up w/. Maybe some of our scrollers have some more input, I'd like some pointers.:)

Lin
02-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Is this sorta what you are after? I'm also attaching the font I used in designer to do this with. I deleted the text after I did the path. I have never done this with the CW...I do use my scrollsaw for this type of nameplate...I can cut them fairly quick on the scrollsaw but if you don't have a scrollsaw...I"m thinking this would be an option for the CW.
Lin

Dan-Woodman
02-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Lots of cleanup and not smooth edges with CW, use a scrollsaw.
later Daniel

sparky
02-09-2009, 10:35 PM
What brdad did on second page of post is what I want. I can do the welcome
but when I do the rectangle and sit welcome on it all I can do is cut path and that cuts them apart. Any suggestions

sparky
02-09-2009, 11:37 PM
used paint.net and created rectangle then imported.

brdad
02-10-2009, 05:59 AM
What brdad did on second page of post is what I want. I can do the welcome
but when I do the rectangle and sit welcome on it all I can do is cut path and that cuts them apart. Any suggestions

Ah, I remember. When you make the rectangle you need to make a carve region so when you use the make outline tool it has something to make an outline of. Just make sure you have the rectangle and the text selected when you use the outline pattern function.

Again, it seems almost as easy to do the design in a paint program, at least for me.

Lin
02-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Sparky, Have you tried the font that I uploaded in my previous post. That font will put the lettering on a bar so to speak as you type it. No need to do a retangle separately.
Here is the same font but this time with the word WELCOME all in caps.
Lin

sparky
02-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks Lin: I tried the font today works great. I guess I just read to fast I didn't even realize you had sent the font. Takes all the work out of it. Never heard of this font!!! Thanks again. (All the things I tried made me learn from it.)