PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing sign

jpaluck
02-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Finaly just finshed the modeling of this..man took a while looks like it will carve great...need FWHarris finshing though...he would do it justice. Mesures 23x9ish.

John

SharonB
02-08-2009, 07:22 PM
John...that is sure different. Would love to see it carved. Will the pattern be in the pattern department or shared anytime soon. Sharonb

pine acres woodshop
02-08-2009, 07:56 PM
That looks great! I'll have to carve one of them.

Mark

geekviking
02-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Looks sweet! Will you be offering the pattern?

fwharris
02-08-2009, 10:52 PM
John,

I really love the lay out of your sign and everything you have on it. If we were close enough to each other I would be more than glad to paint it up for you. :D Thanks for the comments on that!

Trust me, if a guy who had trouble drawing stick figures and every clay project in art class turned into an ash tray can figure out how to paint a fish, I am sure you can too! I would be more that willing to share some of my "learned" techniques to help you out.

Ike
02-08-2009, 11:06 PM
John,

I really love the lay out of your sign and everything you have on it. If we were close enough to each other I would be more than glad to paint it up for you. :D Thanks for the comments on that!

Trust me, if a guy who had trouble drawing stick figures and every clay project in art class turned into an ash tray can figure out how to paint a fish, I am sure you can too! I would be more that willing to share some of my "learned" techniques to help you out.
My friend I would love to know how you paint the trout the way you do! I have been making signs since I was a kid and thought I did a pretty good job on a trout. Then I saw your finished trout and I thought you mounted a real trout!

If you share please include me!!!

Ike

James RS
02-09-2009, 03:35 AM
Since you guys were talking about fish painting,

http://www.edwalicki.com/fish_carving_gallery.htm

fwharris
02-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Since you guys were talking about fish painting,

http://www.edwalicki.com/fish_carving_gallery.htm

James,

Thanks for sharing the link!:cool:
Ed is a true master for sure. I could only dream about being that good!

atauer
02-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Maybe FWHarris will start a thread and share his "learned" techniques with everyone!

*wink, wink*

We can all benefit from his process. I myself thought his trout clock used real trout!

fwharris
02-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Maybe FWHarris will start a thread and share his "learned" techniques with everyone!

*wink, wink*

We can all benefit from his process. I myself thought his trout clock used real trout!

I will try to put something together on my techniques to share with everyone. I will type it up off line vs. typing it up in the forum (another learned lesson). It might take a day or three though!:roll:

James RS
02-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Finaly just finshed the modeling of this..man took a while looks like it will carve great...need FWHarris finshing though...he would do it justice. Mesures 23x9ish.

John

Ok that is a great job, inquiring minds (especially myself) would like to know how did you do it.

Jim

jpaluck
02-09-2009, 03:27 PM
each peice..meaning the reel, rod, both fish the fisherman the flys are all invidual models then arranged on a plane in zbrush using projection master

hope that helps

John

James RS
02-09-2009, 03:48 PM
each peice..meaning the reel, rod, both fish the fisherman the flys are all invidual models then arranged on a plane in zbrush using projection master

hope that helps

John

Somewhat were the rod etc imported as bitmaps or something else.

Thanks
Jim

jpaluck
02-09-2009, 03:51 PM
all the lements were 3d models made in moi 3d zbrush and ac3d..then cut in half to 2.5d

James RS
02-09-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm doomed

jpaluck
02-09-2009, 04:25 PM
no your not...just takes practice...a year ago zbrush looked like the cockpit of a 747 to me...and beleive me I am still in the begining stages of 3d modelling. Check out www.pixologic.com and check out some of the artists work on there...blows mine away.

just takes practice and start with simple items and build from there

John

James RS
02-09-2009, 04:34 PM
no your not...just takes practice...a year ago zbrush looked like the cockpit of a 747 to me...and beleive me I am still in the begining stages of 3d modelling. Check out www.pixologic.com and check out some of the artists work on there...blows mine away.

just takes practice and start with simple items and build from there

John

all the lements were 3d models made in moi 3d zbrush and ac3d..then cut in half to 2.5d

I've always wanted to try this so you mention these above programs moi and ac3d, are these
3d modeling programs that actually produce the 3d art?

jpaluck
02-09-2009, 05:32 PM
yes moi3d and ac3d are the modelling programs but i get the heightmap with zbrush and also do some modeling in zbrush...find zbrush actual model very hard...but for sculpting you cant beat it

fwharris
02-25-2009, 07:48 PM
This is the carved and painted fly fishing sign for John.

This was a fun one to carve and paint. It did test me a bit on the painting as I had a hard time getting the brown trout color the way I wanted it.

Thanks to John for making and sharing the pattern with me!

More pictures can be viewed from this link..
http://photos.ringneckblues.com/GalleryThumbnails.aspx?gallery=172627

Digitalwoodshop
02-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Excellent work everyone !!!!

Trout Season will be here before we know it John......

AL

ChrisAlb
02-25-2009, 08:24 PM
WOW! WOW! WOW!!! Did I mention WOW?

John, I just saw this thread. That is one exceptional pattern modeling job!!

FW, all I can say is if I didn't see John's pattern model, I'd swear you mounted a REAL fish!! The detail on the entire project is FIRST RATE!!

Extraordinary guys!! http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

John, how much for the pattern buddy?

WOW!!

Digitalwoodshop
02-25-2009, 08:47 PM
WOW! WOW! WOW!!! Did I mention WOW?

John, I just saw this thread. That is one exceptional pattern modeling job!!

FW, all I can say is if I didn't see John's pattern model, I'd swear you mounted a REAL fish!! The detail on the entire project is FIRST RATE!!

Extraordinary guys!! http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

John, how much for the pattern buddy?

WOW!!

I am back... past my bed time.... Snicker... Yes WOW is right....

You may get to meet John if his Fishing adventure takes him in our direction this year.

AL

jpaluck
02-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Chris

Thanks for the nice comments. But the finishing job by fwharris is awsome as usual. Yep I got the pattern up for sale at $14.95 it includes 2 ptn's..one for the top half of the sign and one for the bottom...measures something like 23x9 ..at least thats the way I modeled it...but I think fwharris change the size.

jpaluck
02-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Al

yep gonna be up your way for sure this year if the offer is still open

fwharris
02-26-2009, 02:02 AM
John, Al and Chris,

Thanks for the very nice comments on the painting. I had a great object to work with for this one. John did a very nice job in putting this project together. It appears he is getting the handle on the zbrush and moi programs. When we were talking with each other on this he showed me a great picture of him, a real nice brown trout he had caught and the big bear on the other side of the stream. We agreed that this should be a brown trout as well.

My last brown that I did was a combo of stain and paint but for this one it is all acrylic paints. I have several test puddles of paint from trying to get a good color mix for this one.

John, the size on this was 19X9. I defiantly see a few more of this coming off of the CW. My painting and art teacher (wife) has given me a few ideas to incorporate with this. One being a house number sign by adding a 3rd plaque for numbers.

I will post a final picture after I get the 2 attached together. Might even have a better background!

Yep, time to get a pole and line!

Digitalwoodshop
02-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Al

yep gonna be up your way for sure this year if the offer is still open

John,

The offer still stands, spend as much time as you want fishing the stream. Some of it has not been fished in a few years since my Brother was home.

My brother.

AL

HelpBot3000
02-26-2009, 11:51 AM
Al, is that you out there living the dream in those pics? Looks like a lot of fun. I've had some of the best,most relaxing fishing trips on trips where I didn't catch a thing! :) lol

fwharris
02-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Al, is that you out there living the dream in those pics? Looks like a lot of fun. I've had some of the best,most relaxing fishing trips on trips where I didn't catch a thing! :) lol

Hey,

That is why they call it fishing instead of catching! LOL

I bet even thought you did not catch anything you had a few bites from the fish. They do that just to keep you around just a little bit longer!

Al,

Great pictures of the river! Every fisherman's dream to have something like that in the back yard.

cnsranch
02-26-2009, 12:32 PM
So long as we're talking fishing...

A good friend's son starts Med School in late Summer, and my son is taking the "big plunge" in September. Good time for us to make some memories, huh?

We're taking the two of them to Canada the first week of June for a week's fishing. Our first time there, but we can not wait.

Sandy beach Lake, Pine Creek Lodge.

wasacop75
02-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Now you guys are going to make me take away from getting my new machine set up and go fishing. I can hear the wife complaining that i should be cleaning up the garage and doing the honey do list while i am getting some carvings done. But the neighbors bass boat and the little red river are not that far away.......

Digitalwoodshop
02-26-2009, 12:34 PM
The pictures are of my younger Brother. We had a great day fishing.

AL

cnsranch
02-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Got a little 3/4 acre pond down below the shop - my son pulled this out last spring - not bad for Kansas (yes, he released her).

jpaluck
02-26-2009, 01:27 PM
John,

The offer still stands, spend as much time as you want fishing the stream. Some of it has not been fished in a few years since my Brother was home.

My brother.

AL

Al,

I will be seeing you in May. Got some relatives in swoyersville outside wilkes barre Love to fish there for a day. I grew up fly fishing on the lacky...still love to hit that stream in early am...got some great memories on the lackawaxen and besides you know when you see a bunch of guys in their seventies crawling over the guardrail and down those banks at 5am you know the fishing has to be good.