PDA

View Full Version : Need help with cut path - today

andes
02-08-2009, 03:25 PM
Ok, I am trying to get something out for the contest, but need help. My board is 1.5" thick, I need to cut it out, but it's too thick. How can I but on both sides to get it to cut. I want to use a design router cut on the front. I thought that understood how to do that, but "NOT" I need to get this cut done today.

ChrisAlb
02-08-2009, 03:42 PM
That could involve some serious steps depending on how you generated the cut path for the front.

Is the cut path an outline of a pattern? Or did you draw it manually?

If it's a pattern outline, not so bad. If you drew it, you'll have to redraw it mirrored. It will require two files either way as you can only use the "cut path" from the front. However you could apply the cut bit to a path on the back to do a manual cut.

andes
02-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Chris, its just a pattern outline. I did the outline, but because of the thickness it will not allow me to cut, therefore the cut box does not come up to allow me to set the depth of the cut, which I thought it did, but it doesn't.

Kenm810
02-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Chris,

Could Andrea, cut it as a 2 sided project and cut from both sides just short of .75 (.725)
and razor or hand cut the remainder of the 1.5" stock?

ChrisAlb
02-08-2009, 04:09 PM
Andrea,

You will have to apply the cut bit to the path and set the depth maually for both sides. If the board is 1.5 thick, I'd probably set the front cut depth to 1" and the back to a little less than .5 so it leaves a little wood. Doing it this way means you have no automatic tabs so I'd set the back cut to like .4 or so.

Since it's a pattern, you'll have to put the pattern on the back of the board, flip and or rotate it so it matches the front and then outline it to get the reversed path.

Make sure the pattern is exactly the same size as the front, (Copy & Paste it on the back is the easiest way) and also be sure it's in exactly the same position on the board as the front. If you have the front locked to the center it's easy. if not, you'll have to use attachments to position it.

For the shaped cut, just copy and paste the cut path on the front and apply the shaped bit you want. So you'll have 2 paths. One for the shape and one for the cut out.

ChrisAlb
02-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Chris,

Could andes, cut it as a 2 sided project and cut from both sides just short of .75 (.725)
and razor or hand cut the remainder of the 1.5" stock?

Yep...LOL...just took me a while to type it out. darn old carpenter hands anyway...:rolleyes:

andes
02-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Chris,
thanks for the information, its a bit late now so not sure if I'm going to be able to try carving tonight. Not sure if I will be able to get a entry in. But lets see how it goes in the next day or two, see what I can get done after work.

Ken,
Didn't think of the 2 sided, mainly becase fo the design on the front of the clock, Mmmmm ;-}

Even if I don't get it carved and submited as a contest entry, I will share the design anyway.