PDA

View Full Version : need help with 1/16 cutting bit breaking

Semper Fi
02-07-2009, 10:18 AM
I have searched the forums, but can't find how to control the depth of cut. I have snapped three 1/16th cutting bits because they were trying to cut too much at a time. I read the the updates to 1.131 and it says they have included support for 1/16 bits, but nowhere can I see how to limit the depth of each pass. The bits do a superb job of cutting detail, but it is really getting to be expensive to use them. I can see the depth control for cutouts, but not the regular carving. I went to 1.132, but don't see any help there......... except for the Designer crashes when leaving the board. That was an irritant I won't miss!

Dan-Woodman
02-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Ernie
You need to click on the icon that looks like a carving bit, then you can select 1/8" or 1/16" , then down further, select depth,next line down selct max depth per pass.
If your doing a cutpath it automaticly defaults to the 1/8" bit.
later Daniel

Digitalwoodshop
02-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Correct me if I am wrong..... But are you mistaking the 1/16 inch carving bit with the 1/16 Cut Path Bit?

Putting the 1/16 inch cut path in the machine when it wants the tapered robust 1/16 Carving bit will result is the thin 1/16 inch cut path bit snapping.

The 1/16 inch cut out bit can ONLY be used with a cut path.

AL

Semper Fi
02-08-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm using the 1/16th cutting bit. Maybe that's where I'm gettin' messed up. I wouldn't consider the 1/16th cutting bit for a cutout in 3/4 inch oak. I thought there was a way to do multiple shallower passes when cutting a deeper pattern, but maybe I was just dreaming?.

AskBud
02-08-2009, 05:58 PM
I'm using the 1/16th cutting bit. Maybe that's where I'm gettin' messed up. I wouldn't consider the 1/16th cutting bit for a cutout in 3/4 inch oak. I thought there was a way to do multiple shallower passes when cutting a deeper pattern, but maybe I was just dreaming?.

Several things to consider.
First, the 16th bit is not designed to cut out 3/4" wood. The Designer should give you a warning, if you have specified that bit. The MAX, for the 16th bit, seems to be .258.

Second, you may specify, on almost any bit selected to control the MAX cut with any pass of the tool. Say you wish to make a 1/2 inch ARC in some very hard/dense wood, you can select something like ".100" for a MAX CUT on each pass. The 1/2" cut will now be accomplished in 5 passes of the tool.
I do this type of control all the time to avoid burning, breaking, or undue stress on the bit or machine.

See the attachment below, and note the MAX Depth area towards the bottom.
AskBud

Semper Fi
02-09-2009, 06:11 AM
Thanks, Bud. The example you posted is for a cut out, my problem is doing a regular carving. The carve I had the problem with was close to 1/2 inch in depth. It was a carve of the Lord's Last Supper. I can't give you an exact depth because I modified the depth of the carve and saved the piece. I see the option screen you showed when I do a cutout, but I've not seen it when selecting a bit for a regular carve. I am not as well versed in the terminology as most of the folks on here, and that's probably why I'm having a hard time explaining what my problem is. I truly appreciate the help everyone has offered me. Please forgive my ignorance. (I guess that's why I'm still a junior member)

AskBud
02-09-2009, 07:27 AM
Thanks, Bud. The example you posted is for a cut out, my problem is doing a regular carving. The carve I had the problem with was close to 1/2 inch in depth. It was a carve of the Lord's Last Supper. I can't give you an exact depth because I modified the depth of the carve and saved the piece. I see the option screen you showed when I do a cutout, but I've not seen it when selecting a bit for a regular carve. I am not as well versed in the terminology as most of the folks on here, and that's probably why I'm having a hard time explaining what my problem is. I truly appreciate the help everyone has offered me. Please forgive my ignorance. (I guess that's why I'm still a junior member)
I'm a Junior Carver also!
There is only one "Carving" bit, the one with the taper. It is 1/16th at the tip. If that is what is breaking, I would call LHR (CW) as you may have a machine problem. However, I might point out that LHR states that "Plastic" should not be cut as deep as wood (I've never done any). My point is that some wood (Oak being one) can be very hard. When you pick up a piece of wood, you can feel the extra heaviness of one piece v/s another. My rule, "If it feels heavy, cut lighter".
I think the carving bit is moved across the board at a standard rate, depending upon the selection you choose when you load the design to the card (Draft, Normal, Best, Optimal). The board moves at 6/1000 of an inch with each pass.

The straight "Cut-Out" bits now come in 1/8th & 1/16th, and you will see the MAX Depth option.

Semper Fi
02-09-2009, 07:42 AM
Thanks for explaining this to me, Bud. I guess I'll just have to put the "choose the depth of cutting"on my wish list for future enhancements from LHR in their software.

brdad
02-09-2009, 07:46 AM
I'm a bit confused now (no pun intended). I have two carving bits that came with my machine, I always assumed one was 1/8" and one was 1/16". Both are tapered and one is definitely larger and I used it once by mistake on a lithophane and it lost a lot of detail. But there is no 1/8 carving bit in the store. IIRC, doesn't the CW ask if the carving bit is 1/8 or 1/16?

AskBud
02-09-2009, 07:50 AM
Thanks for explaining this to me, Bud. I guess I'll just have to put the "choose the depth of cutting"on my wish list for future enhancements from LHR in their software.

Let me say again, you choose the depth of the carve (with the "Tapered Carving Bit" up front. I don't see that as a "Wish List" item. The speed of cut travel depends upon the quality choice. If you are breaking the Carving Bits, call LHR.
AskBud

AskBud
02-09-2009, 08:03 AM
I'm a bit confused now (no pun intended). I have two carving bits that came with my machine, I always assumed one was 1/8" and one was 1/16". Both are tapered and one is definitely larger and I used it once by mistake on a lithophane and it lost a lot of detail. But there is no 1/8 carving bit in the store. IIRC, doesn't the CW ask if the carving bit is 1/8 or 1/16?

Your unit came with 2 bits.
One is the 1/16th "Carving" bit, which is for the carving of the fine detail on the 3D patterns.
The 1/8th bit (flat on the bottom) is for cutting out an outline of a shape, drilling holes, and recessing an area (in some cases). It may have other uses that I did not cover as well.

If you do not choose to cut your board to size, drill, or recess anything. you may never use the 1/8th cutter.
AskBud

Semper Fi
02-09-2009, 08:14 AM
Bud, I'm not understanding what you are trying to tell me. If you're saying that I can choose the depth of the carving when I am designing it, and thus, the depth the bit will carve, I understand that. But, if you're saying I can choose how deep the bit carves in each of the successive passes, then I'm not sure how to do that..... except for the cutouts, which I understand.

Jeff_Birt
02-09-2009, 08:23 AM
To avoid any further confusion, please go to this page:http://store.carvewright.com/home.php?cat=251, take a look at the pictures and descriptions of the different CW bits.

The machine comes with two bits:

1) The 1/16" ball nose tapered carving bit - BCR062 - http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=16139&cat=251&page=1
2) The 1/8" straight cutting bit - BCT125 - http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=16156&cat=251&page=1

You only do raster carvings with #1. You use #2 for cut-outs or other vector cuts.

AskBud
02-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Bud, I'm not understanding what you are trying to tell me. If you're saying that I can choose the depth of the carving when I am designing it, and thus, the depth the bit will carve, I understand that. But, if you're saying I can choose how deep the bit carves in each of the successive passes, then I'm not sure how to do that..... except for the cutouts, which I understand.

A "Carve Region" (Recess) is usually done with the "Carving Bit, and the Depth is displayed/changed in the white boxes at the top of Designer, the same as a standard "Carve".

the depth and "Max Depth per Pass" on all other bits is selected as you select the bit. I've attached 2 examples below.

There are lots of Tips on CW. Here is one on Layering:
http://carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Dec08.pdf

There is a link to Downloads, in my signature below as well.
AskBud

brdad
02-09-2009, 08:59 AM
I have done my research and these are my findings...

I looked at the CW store, that was part of what caused my confusion because there is no mention of an 1/8 bit there.
I know the 1/8 cutting bit has a 'flat' bottom. That is not the bit I am questioning.
The two bits I have are carving bits, both are tapered.
One bit is larger than the other as the picture shows...

I stuck a scrap in the machine and loaded a project until "Select carving bit" was displayed. The two options are for 1/16 and 1/8 carving bits.

My machine did come with the full bit set. I am not sure whether the 1/8 carving bit came with the machine or the bit set. But I do have one. I did not buy it elsewhere - the only bit I have purchased is an 1/8 cutting bit to replace one I broke.

Semper Fi
02-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Thank you, Bud! I guess I'll read the tutorials before I take up any more time here. Thanks for your patience and time. You know, the older I get, the more my brain seems to fight learning.............. Golden Years, my foot!!!!! LOL

oldfogey
02-09-2009, 09:36 AM
I am now the proud owner of more bits than I will probably ever use. In the last few months I have acquired several carving bits, several cut bits to include the 1/16th inch plus every plunge bit in the world. Most recently I received what was billed as the CarveWright Bit Set from Amazon.com. This set had only 9 bits with it. Amazon gave me a payback for the shortage but then I got to looking. There are sets of supposedly CW bits being sold several places. Some (especially a Sears set) contain only a few bits. I would presume CW is the back up or originator of all these sets. Maybe not?

Another thing, the bits in the CW set from Amazon.com look and feel (and cut, I have tried them) just like the ones from a much cheaper set that I bought some time ago. CW needs to become competitive or present a good reason for their restrictions on bit use. Thanks.

mtylerfl
02-09-2009, 10:25 AM
The CarveWright Bit Set includes 11 bits:

60 Degree V Bit
90 Degree V Bit
1/4-in Diameter Ball Nose Bit
1/2-in Diameter Ball Nose Bit
3/8-in Diameter Straight Bit
3/8-in Radius Classic Ogee Bit
1/2-in Radius Classic Ogee Bit
1/8-in Radius Roman Ogee Bit
3/16-in Radius Roman Ogee Bit