PDA

View Full Version : New Member.. I just received my CarveWright.

will george
02-06-2009, 07:34 AM
I just received my CarveWright.

The box arrived in good shape (I think it may work?). Very cold here so I have to wait to put it in the 'shop'.

As a service tech. (with software background) all my working life it seems well made. However, as with ANYTHING mechanical, electronic, human.. There will be problems to solve. Such is life...

I have what I 'think' is a reasonably good computer. Works for me. Is that reasonably good?

I will start with.. I am NOT 'knocking' the software! BUT I have several gripes I will state here. No, I am NOT 'ANTI' anything except human thugs!

However, the image of my work in process fragments in 'chunks' and is VERY VERY annoying in my opinion. I cannot find something like a 'refresh the screen'...

My video card? Running MS Vista Ultimate using a Radeon X1600/X1650 Series video card.

YES, I do realize there will be a long learning curve but I sure wish the machine came with a sheet of instruction on 'What to do to get started'..

I DID read the service manual~ Still no luck. Yes, I am old, and may be stupid!

I did read that the memory card had to be 'plugged in' BUT nothing told me I had to put it my computer FIRST AND 'put' something in it to make my machine turn ON to find the SN required for regestring the software. OK, So I finally found the SN printed on a label but the manual told me to use machines keyboard to get the SN! (I think?)

No hate here.. Just my opinions for what they are worth.. As in nothing? ;>)

Kenm810
02-06-2009, 07:53 AM
Hi Will,

Welcome to the CW Forum

I pulled up this info from the owners manual
that should be packed in with your machine

Using the CarveWright System
Before the CarveWright can begin to function, the CarveWright memory
card must be installed. With the power off, push the memory card gently
into the memory card slot until it stops, making sure the label is up.
WARNING: Never remove the memory card from the machine
while it is on. Doing so can result in damage to the workpiece.
At any point during operation the CarveWright machine can be
stopped by pressing the STOP key or by lifting the cover. If desired
the machine can be restarted by closing the cover and pressing Enter

Once the CarveWright memory card is installed, the machine can be

turned on with the power switch. Look at the LCD display, and rotate the

contrast control knob (located directly under the keypad) until the display
is readable from a comfortable angle.

AskBud
02-06-2009, 07:59 AM
I just received my CarveWright.
I have what I 'think' is a reasonably good computer. Works for me. Is that reasonably good? ....

However, the image of my work in process fragments in 'chunks' and is VERY VERY annoying in my opinion. I cannot find something like a 'refresh the screen'...

My video card? Running MS Vista Ultimate using a Radeon X1600/X1650 Series video card.

I think you are speaking about your "Screen Refresh Rate". Tell us about your Vista unit. How much RAM? How may other items are vieing for time as you work with CW-Designer?

Perhaps a Vista Ultimate User will have your solution.
AskBud

Jeff_Birt
02-06-2009, 08:04 AM
There are several options related to video settings. I don't have Designer on this computer to give you a play-by-play but look in the help file for more information. You will probably want to try all three settings for hardware acceleration to see what works best for your card, you can also set the detail the 3d view is drawn in in the View menu. It would also be good to check that you have the latest driver for your graphics card.

I use Designer on Vista with no problems whatsoever BUT there are a nearly unlimited combination of motherboard, graphics cards/chip sets that it is almost impossible to write code that works on all of them (also video driver are notoriously buggy things themselves). Vista also has the capability to rate the graphics card (don't remember how) and tell you if Vista can use any HW acceleration on the card. This might be a good check.

will george
02-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Thank you and all the others for answering and for the links. I will read all.

I have the latest video drivers for my video board. I am going to look into the available video setting and see what happens. My computer is a dual core with 2 Gig of memory.