PDA

View Full Version : How do I turn my machine on

RBeau1954
02-05-2009, 04:35 PM
OK, so I know how to do that and I am just venting right now but doesn't it irritate some of you sometimes when people ask questions before they even look through the forum to see if there are any explanations about there situation. We have a great forum but reading the same questions over and over again when most of these questions have already been answered someplace seems like people just don't want to take the time to read.
One more thing, when you are posting, I can see up in the right corner a little check with the letters ABC over it, doesn't that mean you can check your spelling before you send a post or is it there just for looks.
Just venting, I love the machine and love the knowledge I can get from this forum.

oldfogey
02-05-2009, 06:39 PM
RBeau1954, I agree with your comment. I have tried to suggest (and am working on personally and separately) that the Forum or CW site have a specific place for all downloadable pdf's and files. Someone needs to thresh the wheat from the chaff and consolidate all that good information that is scattered throughout the Forum. I have been canvassing the Forum and all documents for over two months and am still finding material I wish I had known about earlier in the game. I am trying to get my cowcorners.com geared up to accept all the info from all the various points and catalog it for CW users to read and print from one source.

Michael Anthony
02-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Rick I plead guilty on all counts! And I hear you loud and clear, but there are over 70 thousand posts on this forum and 86 hundred threads, and sometimes you are just wanting a quick answer, but in the end you are right, I for one will be very careful about asking any more stupid questions and make sure all my words are spelled correctely. oh oh I think I spelled that last word wrong!:)

TerryT
02-05-2009, 07:33 PM
Run on sentences are one of my pet peeves. Like this one.

"OK, so I know how to do that and I am just venting right now but doesn't it irritate some of you sometimes when people ask questions before they even look through the forum to see if there are any explanations about there situation."

Should be at least three periods and two breaths in there. Also the folks that switch the words then and than.

hehehe. Just funnin' ya Beau.;)

hess
02-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Hey Beau
Your right, there are a lot of question many from us newbies justy like on all forums. I would like to say that the search here is a bit tricky, you type in anything and it tells you you need 4 words. Heck type in 4 words and it just returns to the page you came from. As for spell checking Keep somthing in mind. I dont know your age but there are those like me here who have had strokes and what knots in our young lives.

Also it seems there must be a trick witht he spell chacker all so. Sometimes it will give you the word underlined and others it jusy asks if you want it to add it to the dic.

Been on many biker forum for years now. Not a newbie when it comes to bikes. Do I get sick of the same ?s all the time? No not if the person it there to learn. No not it they are attempting to pick it up and run with it. Why dont I get mad? Because when I was just starting out again I asked those ? so now it is my time to be the teacher, it's part of the job Why esle would this site be here if not to help others . Case in point about the spell checker it will not pick up any of this mess.

Thanks
Hess

fwharris
02-05-2009, 11:13 PM
Spell checker?

try http://ispell.com. This is what I use for checking my words for forum posts. I believe it was kenm that posted this a few months back.

Jeff_Birt
02-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Your search cannot contain any words less than 4 letters, you don't have to have four words. If you need to use a shorter word then enclose it or the phrase in quotes.

For example:
"little pin" will work but, little pin, won't.

hess
02-06-2009, 01:10 AM
thanks I'll try it

hess
02-06-2009, 01:11 AM
AH SO grasshopper now I see

Thanks

Jeff_Birt
02-06-2009, 08:10 AM
OK, great! The wording used in that response from the search engine is a bit nonsensical. I find the Search tool to be invaluable, but like any other tools learning how to use it is the hard part. Sometimes I still find it hard to find the correct search terms but have found that starting out with a generic a search as possible helps.

forqnc
02-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Just a quick question on the search, after a generic search ie "Z axis", is it then possible to search within the results for "z axis error" and narrow the list down?

Amonaug
02-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Just a quick question on the search, after a generic search ie "Z axis", is it then possible to search within the results for "z axis error" and narrow the list down?

Just put in the search "z axis error" and select either Threads which will list any threads with those words in it or select Posts which will only show you the posts within threads with those words in it.

Billions
02-07-2009, 02:31 AM
I also find the 'Search' feature to be too finicky. I prefer to simply do a Google search with my keyword, part, or error number followed by the word 'carvewright' and the results returned are almost always from the Carvewright forums, in a very direct manner. Also, if you're not logged in on your own computer, using Google lets you can avoid the 'captcha' letter-input verification that detects if you're a human or not.

I think the difficulty in logically getting results back from the Forum's search function often leads people to post a quick question, and it's a friendly, helpful community here - do people really mind that much in helping new carvers? It doesn't appear so, as the answers, although redundant to many, are usually patient and informative. Lots of new questions mean more and more new owners, and that's good, a small price to pay to continue fostering a growing group of Carvewright supporters.