PDA

View Full Version : old bit--new bit

Dan-Woodman
02-04-2009, 12:49 PM
I got a new carving bit yesterday. The one one the left is my origanal bit from three years ago. On the right is new one I ordered from Lowe's . The mailing package said from LHR Technoliges . Notice they are both 3- flute bits,but the new one (right) has more spirals than the old one.
Some of the differences you can see is the new bit is a little longer about 1/8" , the flat spot must be different because there different from tip to adapter,
later Daniel

Kenm810
02-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Hi Dan,

I just looked at your Photos of the
old and new bits, I never noticed the small
step in the spiral at 3/4" from the tip.

I have three 1/16" tapered Carving Bits from LHR
and they all have that step.
The one you got from Lowe's doesn't
look like it has the step.

Dan-Woodman
02-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Ken
You are correct. The origanal bit only has a cutting length of 3/4" . The new one is over .900 .
I didn't realize how dull my old one was.
later Daniel

Kenm810
02-04-2009, 01:41 PM
I just had to go look
My ZrN coated 4-flute 1/16" Carving Bits
from Precise Bits.com
have a step at 1.062 from the tip http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif

Billions
02-05-2009, 04:05 AM
Yeah, I was wondering about that step, some of my carving bits have it while others don't. It also happens to be the only thing that ever cuts my finger!

bjbethke
02-05-2009, 05:40 AM
I got a new carving bit yesterday. The one one the left is my origanal bit from three years ago. On the right is new one I ordered from Lowe's . The mailing package said from LHR Technoliges . Notice they are both 3- flute bits,but the new one (right) has more spirals than the old one.
Some of the differences you can see is the new bit is a little longer about 1/8" , the flat spot must be different because there different from tip to adapter,
later Daniel
Dan; the set screws on your new bit are not set as deep as your old bit, they might not be set in the slot.

Dan-Woodman
02-05-2009, 09:50 AM
BJB
Thanks for pointing that out. I also noticed the new adapter fits tighter in the QC, as I had to use the removal tool to get it out. After 3 years my old one must be worn and I can sure feel the difference in sharpness.
later Daniel

mtylerfl
02-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Dan; the set screws on your new bit are not set as deep as your old bit, they might not be set in the slot.

Beat me to it - I'm reasonably sure from your photo that the bit is not mounted properly in the adaptor (too much of the business end is poking out). This means the set screw is not hitting the "flat" and will need to be remounted.

Don't forget to clean any old LocTite off the set screw threads before you apply new LocTite, then retighten the set screws securely. Don't go crazy when tightening, or you will strip the interior of the head. I use Blue LocTite, but others use permanent Red. Pick whichever you feel most comfortable using.

liquidguitars
02-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Beat me to it - I'm reasonably sure from your photo that the bit is not mounted properly in the adaptor (too much of the business end is poking out). This means the set screw is not hitting the "flat" and will need to be remounted.

The set screws are the same for the stock LHR router bits that do not have the "flats" like the 1/4 ball.. and you should not have any issues.

However I keep the bit at the lower side using the "flats" setting the bit a tad lower will also help with runout as long as its not overkill and you keep the DOC. :)

any one think the 3 vs 4 flute carves any better/worse?

LG