PDA

View Full Version : Circular Pattern

Michael Anthony
02-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Is there a way to get a Circular carve region, my board is 4.5x4.5 its on a sled of 6x12 I have a figure in the middle but I dont want a square pattern around it, I am trying to get a round tapered cut and the figures are raised in the middle???:confused: Thanks for any help you can give!!

fwharris
02-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Michael,

See if this is what you are asking for.

It is a circle and I did a "select surface" and picked the "double dome"

wasacop75
02-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Let me try and do this one...

Use the circle drawing device on the toolbar. then add the design you want to carve to the middle of it.

then click on the circle again highlighting it.
then click on the carve region icon.

this should give you the circle and your design also.

I may be way off on this, but i just designed something and thats how i did it.:roll:

Michael Anthony
02-03-2009, 08:55 PM
Thanks Guys I will give it a try:)

Michael Anthony
02-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Well now I have a circle and a square one overlapping the other,I think the problem is , the piece I am trying to carve was something I scanned and it is just a tad over 1". I reduce the carve to 1/4" but everytime I try to place it inside the circle I also get the square cut out and part of a circle!:confused:

fwharris
02-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Sounds like you might need to remove the background of the pattern you scanned if that is shere the square is coming from. Or if you drew a square for a carve region you need to remove it...

Or post the mpc.. picture is worth 1000 words.. that is if you do not have any commercial patterns in it..

another thing, you will also need to make the pattern that is on the circle, merge as "additive"

Kenm810
02-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Try raising or lowering your scaned figure in the Desiger editor
to eliminate the square background.

FWHarris --- I'm getting to slow on the draw

fwharris
02-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Try raising or lowering your scaned figure in the Desiger editor
to eliminate the square background.

FWHarris --- I'm getting to slow on the draw

Ken,

Only by a few seconds I bet....

Michael Anthony
02-03-2009, 09:32 PM
OK Guys I see what you are saying , but when I try lowering the Pattern more than 1/4 I loose most of the detail, and I cant show it because part of it is a purchased pattern but I will study what you said and try to make it work. Ken that first picture of yours is what I am trying to do, I just started to late in life to learn this trade!!:mrgreen:

fwharris
02-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Michael,

Try do erase the back ground in you image editing software or pattern editor if you have that.

when you said "scanned" was you talking about with the CW of computer?

Michael Anthony
02-03-2009, 09:45 PM
FWHarris: Yes I have a scanning probe and I scanned an object onto my card, then uploaded it to my computer it was in design editor and now it is in my favorites, I am trying to merge two carvings into one circle a purchased and my scanned one!

fwharris
02-03-2009, 09:59 PM
After you down load your scan into pattern editor, take the majic wand tool and click on the background area. You should get some dotted lines around your image. Click on the big X and that will erase the background and should just leave the actual object that you scanned. Re save it as a different name and then take that into designer.

Michael Anthony
02-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Mr. Harris Thank you for all your helpI have a splitting headache and I am going to call it a day again thank you for your patients and kindness I will be back at it on the morrow.

fwharris
02-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Michael,

No problem.

You go take care of yourself.

Hope I was not adding to much to any of your pain. I did see your comments to Ken about being a newbee with all of this new stuff and I know how I have felt after several hours of working with it:confused:

Michael Anthony
02-04-2009, 08:29 AM
FWHarris: Well after getting a good nights sleep and getting rid of that blasted headache I wrote down everything you said and went to work on it, and low and behold I did it! I didnt get both patterns but hey I am pleased as punch that I was able to do that much, and all thanks to you! You should be a Teacher, because if you can teach someone with my low computer skills, then you could teach anyone! WOW I am STOKED as my grandson would say! Thank you again F W Harris:):):)I am going out to the shop to try and cut it out, I might be back in the doldrums again but gotta try!!

fwharris
02-04-2009, 09:46 AM
FWHarris: Well after getting a good nights sleep and getting rid of that blasted headache I wrote down everything you said and went to work on it, and low and behold I did it! I didnt get both patterns but hey I am pleased as punch that I was able to do that much, and all thanks to you! You should be a Teacher, because if you can teach someone with my low computer skills, then you could teach anyone! WOW I am STOKED as my grandson would say! Thank you again F W Harris:):):)I am going out to the shop to try and cut it out, I might be back in the doldrums again but gotta try!!

Michael,

Glad to hear you are feeling better and that I was able to help you out. For me one of the best ways to learn the CW was to read and practice the tips others have posted and then try to turn around and teach others. 99% of what I know has been learned here.

Hey, I am STOKED too!