PDA

View Full Version : Not to impressed

hess
02-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Will I feel stuck for lack of a better word , well that's not true I do have some words but cant say them. I just got a new CW out of the box it had a roller stuck error. I checked in here and looked over the files and such. Did all thing I could find to do called CW nice support person walked me though removed side cover and fixed it. Button the unit up Phil had told me how to remove the ribbon cable from the inside so as not to break it. it all went back fine. Turn it on and NOW I have the dreaded open door error so back to cw we walk though all the fix and it is decided that somehow between removing the SC it now blew a Circuit broad got to button the unit up and was being very easy and the door switch wire came off of on line

Button line I expect some problems along the way but have to say this is the poorest QC I have ever seen.

Its real frustrating and sad to have to mess with this stuff out of the box. This has noting to do with reading the Tips or manual this is poor QC

I have another unit coming in that I ordered told CR if ether unit continues they are going back next week
Hess

newcarver
02-03-2009, 05:21 PM
By now after this amount of time i do have to agree that the qc should have gotton better. Yes, we all can expect some issues with machines in our lives. I had alot of issues when i first got mine also and in the end have had about 85% of the parts replaced, works good now. Just hope cw reads these posts and takes in the good with the bad and improves the quality.

hess
02-03-2009, 09:22 PM
On thing that kinda bites my butt is that it seems most of us can use a wrench when we need to and we gladly fix these units when we can on or own!! I'm other words we provide a lot of labor for free. Labor that CW does not have to pay for. We don't get a whole lot of discount on their product unless we buy from someone else who is selling the same thing for less.

If we all stopped doing or work I think we would see a very big backlog on getting our units back.
another thing while I'm on my rant, why don't CW train or allow to train others to fix these units. That way there might being a closer alternative to this shipping brand new units to get them fixed. If they had to pay the shipping for new units I bet it would dang near beak you. Looking back these are not new issues they been around for some time. so If I can chill enough to keep these things long enough to see what they can do maybe Ill live long enough to see Gen X up and running with QC problems.

One more thing and I'll stop. There are folks out there who use these units to make their living or add income, that god knows we all need. Most of these folks don't buy crap tools, they make money with them so you buy the good stuff that will last. Each time one of these units is down it means money out of their pocket and that sad.

With all that said I'm hoping very much for a long relationship with my CWs I just hope they feel the same. now I go back out and turn some more Inlace.

Hess

TWOATLOW8
02-03-2009, 10:13 PM
hesstx

where are you located, i would gladly stop in if your near. Im fron Wi and drove to Newcarver (4-5 hrs away) just to see what he had and learn from him.

hess
02-04-2009, 12:28 AM
I'm WAY down in TX just below Ft Worth be a long drive but I agree one of the best way to learn is by seeing than doing. I have checked the Map on the Compucarvre/carvewight site and there is 1 person down about an hour from me and one about 2 hours North but don't know if they hang here or not. I would like to see some one who knows what they are doing work this thing. It will come

Boy I bet you arnt out at midnight working with the shop door open up there?
I used to live in the Davenport area in IA grew up on the old Miss lived about 500 ft from it most my young life. Dont miss the cold but do miss the people and the river Spring summer and Fall were nice too. Summer gets Real hot here
Thanks man
Hess

Dave Lotek
02-04-2009, 06:30 AM
I don’t think most of the problems I've read about on this and other forums are unusual for this type of machine. I serviced computerized embroidery machines for 10 years or so in a factory setting, and later on the road. All of the non routine problems, even with new machines, were solved using a phone with a manufacturer’s tech on the other end. Sometimes we would "overnight" a board or motor in. Fortunately the CarveWright is small enough to UPS into a service center if needed.
If one thing tripped up in those embroidery systems, a chain reaction of failure would usually occur. There were also people who were jinxes around that sort of equipment.

Dave

forqnc
02-04-2009, 07:43 AM
Hesstex, Sorry you are experiencing problems from the get go.

Not trying to add to your frustation, because I have been there, but some points to remember.

The machine is built in China, hence the affordable price, and possible poor QC. I do not know if LHR test run every machine, but I would see this as inpracticable. Even American built cars can have Lemons.

As I say I am not trying to upset you anymore, I was there, but with some patience on my part and some TLC with the machine, the rewards from it are worth it.

Right now I am resisting the urge to complain to LHR about using grease and lubricants that work in freezing temperatures. My shop is unheated and I have not been able to use my machine since December. :rolleyes:

oldfogey
02-04-2009, 08:57 AM
I am all for some kind of maintenance and repair seminars. I have asked LHR if they would admit users to factory for purpose of learning machine repair. No answer but I only asked last week. I also asked if they knew anyone who might be capable of such instruction other than at factory. No answer. I missed a chance to go to one of their Sales Demonstrations in Columbus, OH. Should have gone. Maybe I could have turned that into some kind of learing experience by asking the right questions of their rep.

I think the idea of users getting together, those that are within visiting distance, is a good one also. There are at least three others, one is a long time friend, who frequent this forum and I intend to visit. One is a real guru. AskBud is just west in Indian Lake, Oh. I intend to visit him and pick his brain when I have a chance. He runs some kind of school and might be available for seminars. We just need to get our own community resources communicating and organizing.

I have found that with a little patience and the proper questions a lot of learning can take place right here on this forum. I do wich LHR would chime in more often with authoritative advice and information but then maybe they do. Several of our members seem to have might close ties to the company.

Keep writing, keep talking, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Kenm810
02-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Hi Jerry,

The next time LHR is at a WoodWorker Show near you,
by all means try to go and speak to the CW Rep's.
I,ve be to two of the Shows (last Dec. and the Dec. before)
both times I was able to get a wealth of information
from the Rep's and answers to many of my questions,
plus follow up Email answers from LHR after they had returned to Texas.
Also a little insight into what LHR was up to with their Hardware and Software. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

AskBud
02-04-2009, 09:51 AM
You give me way too much credit.
I just try to use good logic, and I make my share of toothpicks/firewood.

I do keep a fairly good section on the CW in my signature, below, as a service to others.
AskBud

hess
02-04-2009, 10:45 AM
I don’t think most of the problems I've read about on this and other forums are unusual for this type of machine. I serviced computerized embroidery machines for 10 years or so in a factory setting, and later on the road. All of the non routine problems, even with new machines, were solved using a phone with a manufacturer’s tech on the other end. Sometimes we would "overnight" a board or motor in. Fortunately the CarveWright is small enough to UPS into a service center if needed.
If one thing tripped up in those embroidery systems, a chain reaction of failure would usually occur. There were also people who were jinxes around that sort of equipment.

Dave

I understand about having problem being the norm I just don't think they should be out of the box as often as we see here
Hess

hess
02-04-2009, 10:58 AM
"The machine is built in China, hence the affordable price, and possible poor QC. I do not know if LHR test run every machine, but I would see this as impracticable. Even American built cars can have Lemons."

My unit had 2+ hrs of runtime when I got it. The problem more than likely happened because of that. We all know how we keep hear clean the unit me came with saw dust and chips included so I don't think they cleaned the unit after running in so it stuck the roller. Cant say about the CB and that's the one the burns me. I understand adjustments like rollers out of the box. not having to tear the unit down like for the CB.

As from China... most of our stuff is coming from there have to admit all 3 of my lathes or china made 2 Jets and a Grizzly They have all been right on in set up and work like a charm. Have to admit most of my saws jointers and planners are Grizzly all china made. Heck even the carbs off a HD come from Japan and sadly the us has not been able to keep up with them.

Hess

Digitalwoodshop
02-04-2009, 11:03 AM
As for the QC, it is known that sometimes the new QC needs conditioning with 3 in one oil to loosen it up and make it more responsive to the user. A Cold QC in a cold shop can be less responsive and a improperly installed bit will soon fly out of the QC and damage the machine or YOU.

This is a hobby machine made to sell CHEAPER than it's Professional Model in the $10K range.

If you do have use it for a business and need to depend on it for income and getting projects out the door than you might need to consider having 2 machines like I do. Plus experience has taught me the things that are Consumable on the machine and I just received a box from LHR with $700.00 in Bit Holders, QC's, Sand Paper Blts, 2 Z Trucks, and 2 Board Sensors. I am laying in my supply for the Sign Season so I get more productivity out of my 3 machines.

There are some people that just don't have the calm personality to own this machine. I think Fishing is a equal Adventure that relates.

Lets say you go fishing and expect to catch X amount of fish because the State Charges X for a License. Some people have the Patience to weather the ups and downs with fishing and some post a rant at the first time a knot breaks or they snag the bottom.

Some people go into fishing with a reasonable expectation of the outcome and others call it a complete failure if they only catch 1 fish....

As far as Factory Authorized Service people..... Well then there is the "Liability".... If I am a factory trained tech and I fix your machine and someone gets hurt, the lawyers will eat that tech for breakfast.... After he has lost his house and is out on the street, he will wonder why he decided to fix someone else's machine.... I have the background in fixing this kind of stuff, Navy and Sony training and I have been doing it since 1977.

We have a few machines in this area, and last summer I met 2 users in a parking lot and we changed out the sand paper belts and it ended up that we all learned something as each of us knew things the other did not..... It was fun and we all have a backup help if needed.

So it comes down to attitude. If you go into this looking to KICK it like a dog every time there is a problem then this machine is not for you. Most look at it as a chance to LEARN something new about the machine.

This is a great resource and reading about QC problems and the lubrication required would have prevented some of the problem. Sending a machine back for a Dry QC is how Sears got a PILE of machines back. Customers need to be WILLING to learn and do the work.

And no LHR will not pay you for your time, this is a Hobby Machine, a very HIGH TECH HOBBY machine. Not a simple Power Tool with a motor.

AL

hess
02-04-2009, 11:07 AM
You know you have a point about CW being real slow about following up with contacts. The support so far has been great. I wrote to sales about buying one and asked it they had worked out some of the bugs about 3 weeks ago. No reply, guess he do not want to admit to the bugs. Wrote yesterday about these issues I'm having now so I'm watching to see how long it takes.

Maybe they don't want to encourage training because they worry someone may reverse eng one and work the bugs out of theirs?

hess
02-04-2009, 11:43 AM
QC is referring to Quality Control not the quick Coupler I'm saying these units do not have a good Quality Control from the Factory.

I'm real big into Bikes. most of the stuff I have picked up is from the guys you meet or ride with. just as it should be it what bring us together.

I understand that this is a hobby machine but it is no toy or RC plane, Heck Bikes are considered by some RUBs to be hobbies but for the most part they are reliable

I keep seeing that if someone speaks up about problems then it gets met like your reply "go into this looking to KICK it like a dog every time there is a problem then this machine is not for you."

If I have said ANY thing untrue here you show me! I will post a retraction. Your comment is like going to your Pastor and and being told you need to find another church because you question something he said. I am very much here to learn and very open to your input I'm not a person that's slams anyone or anything just for the heck of it.
I'm not the type that kisses up. I'm open and honest to a fault i believe we each have a right to state or opinion whether we agree does not matter. I'm sure that once the unit is fixed I will love it. Just think there are things that can be improved on form the factory. I also understand that CR can only do so much at a time they are not one of the big 3s yet (no bailout) so one must take stuff in stride if I was angry the unit would all ready be returned for a refund.

Hess

Dave Lotek
02-04-2009, 01:38 PM
I understand about having problem being the norm I just don't think they should be out of the box as often as we see here
Hess

I agree with this, but rough handling by shippers can create a world of problems too.

hess
02-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Box was clean and free of any marks. I think the roller thing is cause they run the unit in for awhile which is norm but maybe dont get them cleaned very well then the head sits there compressed till the unit gets to us so not a big deal there. You are right we never know how things get handled. It will all work out. At least it did not come out of the box in pieces. Do have to say they do a good job at packing but they forgot to put the little china man back in the box. I thought you got one with every unit

hess
02-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Data where on the Cw site are the Z tracks and sensors? Do you just call the order in. I just had my 2nd unit come to the door and dont mind having what ever I need sitting in a cabnet just in case. Are those the main things you should have extra? Whats the cost on most of the stuff I mean is it reasonable?

Thanks Hess

DocWheeler
02-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Hess,

If you email them a list of parts with the correct numbers from the exploded view of the CW, they will tell you the costs. At least that is how I did it.

I think that having a set of sandpaper belts, extra cover switches (that you probably won't need), a QuickChuck, a set of X gears, and some backup bits and adapters is a good start. You might want to examine the Y and Z motors for gear wear and have replacements on hand before they go out.

For convenience, it is handy to have two cards.

Just my thoughts.

wood-of-1kind
02-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Yes, there are some issues with these "toys" "machines" whatever you want to call them. Although there is some great advice here from many knowledgable members, there are "others" that do the PR overkill albeit they claim not to have any affiliations with the vendor. Yack, yack... as for me I keep reading and waiting until the dust settles so that I can purchase a unit with better reliabilty. At over, $2K Canadian, I hardly would call this a cheap(affordable) machine for the hobbyist(?).

Valid point being made here that QC (quality control) should be better enforced before putting any of these machines out in the marketplace. As consumers, we all deserve better.

liquidguitars
02-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Yes, there are some issues with these "toys" "machines" whatever you want to call them.

unit 1, unit 2, and unit 3 are the names I use, with unit 1 the old dog.

This is what we do with our toys.. :)

http://liquidguitars.com/assets/images/LP2R007.jpg

LG

hess
02-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks Doc will do. keeping parts on hans seems like a good idea

Hess

hess
02-04-2009, 07:08 PM
LG that is great looking wish I could play

Hess

hess
02-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Hess,

some backup bits and adapters is a good start. You might want to examine the Y and Z motors for gear wear and have replacements on hand before they go out.

For convenience, it is handy to have two cards.

Just my thoughts.

Hey Doc are the bit adapters the same ones Sears sells

Hess

Dave Lotek
02-04-2009, 07:14 PM
unit 1, unit 2, and unit 3 are the names I use, with unit 1 the old dog.

This is what we do with our toys.. :)

http://liquidguitars.com/assets/images/LP2R007.jpg

LG

What a great looking Axe, man! What a great machine!

Kenm810
02-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Hess,

The 1/4" and 1/2" Sears - Craftsman bit adapters fit both the CW and CC machines
But their version of the QC Chuck does not!

MikeMcCoy
02-05-2009, 07:03 AM
Hess

Here are some of the parts numbers for items that have been recommended in past posts. The prices may be different since I started putting this document together over a year ago.

Part Number
A005-00033 Quick Change Chuck $29.95

Close Cover Switch, Cut Motor Switch
Product: Head Cover Micro Switch Cable Assembly
SKU: MWM A2121
Quantity: 1
Item price: $10.00

Reconditioned Spindle Motor Assembly
SKU: MWM A2011R
Product:
Item price: $77.25

Brushes
Y Motor Mount Assembly MVM A2052 $42.50
Quick Change Chuck A005-00033 $29.95
Closeout Right Assembly MWM A2005 $18.00
Board Sensor Assembly MWM A2019 $15.00
Board sensor
It doesn’t come with screws,
CW Manual page 8 - Part #43 Machine Screw
Pan Head, M3 x 08mm Long ---- CW# SCMM-3.0-0.50PA-08AB

Bit Adjustment tool CW0021 $14.99
Traction Belts A2119 $14.99
Board Cable Guard MWM P1289 $5.00
Micro Switch w/o Lever P005-00006 $5.00

TSRT0801l SLOGAN TSHIRT
Item price: $20.00

Motor Brushes
Roller bearing fixed assembly -- MWM A2021

hess
02-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Hess,

The 1/4" and 1/2" Sears - Craftsman bit adapters fit both the WC and CC machines
!

Thanks Ken

hess
02-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Thanks Mike
At least it appears most the stuff is fairly well priced. I will be placing an order soon

Thanks
Hess

Digitalwoodshop
02-05-2009, 03:40 PM
If you are going to depend on it then my recommendation is to have...

1 QC
2 sets of Sand Paper Belts (save on shipping $15.00.....)
1 X Drive Gear
Extra Bit Holders
1 Flex Shaft
Square Drive Bit and Wrench for the QC.
1 Board Detector

After the Warranty runs out....

1 Z Truck $60.00 plus a 40 core plus the bearings and screws.

The Z Truck with the bearings and screws would be a great help if you stripped the top of the Z Truck where the flex shaft goes in. I did....

Having the correct size Square Drive tool weather you grind down a Square Drive or buy one from RJustice. I had a QC that just would not come off last summer.... LOTS of HEAT and it still would not budge.... I think it has RED Locktite on it..... It was a Refurbished Z Truck. I broke all 3 of RJustice's square drive bits..... Pi$$ed me off that I could not get off. So in that event it was nice to have the extra Z Truck.

The Flex Shaft is a non warranty item and it is easy to pinch the outer rubber and pinch the spring inside causing a hot spot. I melted one last sumer.

I believe they will let you replace the QC, Sand Paper Belts, and Board Detector while it is in Warranty. If you remove the Z Truck they could cancel your warranty so it is better to ask before a major repair. If it comes down to you paying for shipping back to LHR or replacing the Z Truck yourself, it would be a toss up.... The Z Truck bearings have soft screws and I have broken my share doing the install. It's a learning curve.

Hope this helps.

AL

hess
02-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Thanks DW Got my Sears unit in today works great funny the sears unit only had 13 min time on it and it even says service time, very clean no dust or chips even had a bag of silca sitting up on the motor that the CW never had. I still think someone used the CW unit

The CW unit will not work they are sending a new broad and cable I found that the white wire was off the MS on the cover looks like a poor solder job so Tomorrow I will take the top off turn it over and redo the joint and I home free will put the parts up for later

I was able to do the apple box and a Harley sign tonight the box was EX the sign had lots of chip out but was only in normal mode Feels good to see them work.

I will get the extra parts soon

Thanks Hess

geekviking
02-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Glad to see you up & running!

hess
02-06-2009, 01:13 AM
Glad to see you up & running!

So much nicer when you can make a mess of dust and clips

Jeff_Birt
02-06-2009, 08:07 AM
I was able to do the apple box and a Harley sign tonight the box was EX

Glad you liked the apple box :), I guess Harley sign are just like the real thing, always falling apart <cheap shot> :rolleyes: <just kidding guys put away your guns>

Refresh my memory, the machine you are callign the CW unit: is that the one you got off Ebay?

wood-of-1kind
02-06-2009, 08:16 AM
The CW unit will not work they are sending a new broad and cable I found

Dang, I'm ordering a CW if they throw that in. A "good" one that is;)

hess
02-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Glad you liked the apple box :), I guess Harley sign are just like the real thing, always falling apart <cheap shot> :rolleyes: <just kidding guys put away your guns>

Refresh my memory, the machine you are callign the CW unit: is that the one you got off Ebay?

Ha Ha I like the hit on HD. I'm a Rice is Nice rider

Hess

hess
02-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Dang, I'm ordering a CW if they throw that in. A "good" one that is;)

Yes but the problem is too many of them in the same house dont work. lol