PDA

View Full Version : CarveWright Mods

Dave Lotek
02-03-2009, 06:21 AM
I'm intrigued by the CarveWright/CompuCarve system even though it seems trouble prone. I notice the Flex Shaft is a major source of trouble along with the Quick Change Bit Holder.

After the warranty expires, is it possible to replace these with a small pneumatic router using a light weight plastic coiled air hose feeding in from above? It seems you would manually switch the router off and on as needed.

I found several air powered routers, some as small as a dentist drill.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Michael Anthony
02-03-2009, 08:03 AM
I would think Dave , one would need rather a large and effecient air compressor, as some carves are as long as 8 or more hours, not saying its impossible, and then you would have increased air turbulence blowing those chips into every nook and cranny! just my two cents, I have been wrong before!:)

Digitalwoodshop
02-03-2009, 11:10 AM
I think it would be a weight issue, finding a air tool that is robust enough and light enough to do the job.

I am thinking that later in the life of the machine when the Cut Motor is Kaput I will mount a variable speed router center and above the machine to the rear and mount the flex so it gently slopes to the QC. Or replace the Flex with a hand carving tool Flex Shaft with a chuck mounted in a old Z Truck.

AL

Pratyeka
02-03-2009, 01:25 PM
I believe the controler expects some feedback from the cut motor speed sensor. If it is dead, you won't be able to do anything. My 2 cents.

twiceretired
02-03-2009, 01:40 PM
It’s almost impossible to improve on a perfect tool, but then you can fiddle with anything, but the best music comes from the original fiddle.

mgnagy
02-03-2009, 01:46 PM
It’s almost impossible to improve on a perfect tool, but then you can fiddle with anything, but the best music comes from the original fiddle.

well put :)

Michael Anthony
02-03-2009, 02:16 PM
I think history has taught us,there is always room for improvement and two there is no such thing as perfect if it was made by the hand of mere mortals, just my 2.5 cents!:)

Dave Lotek
02-03-2009, 05:21 PM
To all for sharing your thoughts. I'm glad I asked.

Dave

forqnc
02-04-2009, 08:09 AM
I think history has taught us,there is always room for improvement and two there is no such thing as perfect if it was made by the hand of mere mortals, just my 2.5 cents!:)

First company I worked for was heavily influenced by the Japenese, I am very familiar with Kaizen, and have tried to implement it most of my working life.
If we stuck with the perfect Fiddle, how would Eric Clapton have evolved with the Electric Guitar?