PDA

View Full Version : Carving on the CW

RabidRed
02-02-2009, 01:25 PM
I'm new to the CW so I know I'm making mistakes. I have some questions.

How do you keep from having chip outs from carving.\? I use both poplar and red oak for carving.

How do you get smooth carves with the CW? Ever carving so far is rough and not smooth at all.:confused:

Ike
02-02-2009, 01:31 PM
it would help to see the mpc you are trying to carve. Alot has to do with depth to height settings and the draft.

Plus show the results of the carvings, there may be an underlining problem. Also it would help to describe what the CW is doing, the sound it is making during the carve

Ike

RabidRed
02-02-2009, 01:47 PM
it would help to see the mpc you are trying to carve. Alot has to do with depth to height settings and the draft.

Plus show the results of the carvings, there may be an underlining problem. Also it would help to describe what the CW is doing, the sound it is making during the carve

Ike

Here are a couple

Ike
02-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Here are a couple

Ok as forth to the picture that is as good as it is going to get on wood. As forth to the sign, what bit are you using? You should be a 1/16 ballnose, the raster carving bit.

Do have have centerline? If so try changing the lettering to centerline and try a 60 degree v- bit.

Ike

Ike
02-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Ok as forth to the picture that is as good as it is going to get on wood. As forth to the sign, what bit are you using? You should be a 1/16 ballnose, the raster carving bit.

Do have have centerline? If so try changing the lettering to centerline and try a 60 degree v- bit.

Ike
I adjusted the photo mpc height and draft. Then converted your font to centerline with a 60 degree bit. Tell me what you think? The photo works best in a litho.

Ike

RabidRed
02-02-2009, 04:31 PM

Ike

I used the 1/16 bit that came with the CW. As for Centerline I don't have it yet.

Ike
02-02-2009, 08:10 PM
I used the 1/16 bit that came with the CW. As for Centerline I don't have it yet.

Centerline is a great investment, but it is non transferable. So if you ever sold your machine the centerline or purchased patterns can not be sold. Not saying you are going to sell your machine! Just letting you know!

Well you are using the correct bit for the lettering and you say it is coming out rough? Do you have a photo of the carved sign? Like I told you photos on wood never look as good as they do as a litho. You can do some adjusting on the height depth and draft to make it look better. But it will always look rough.

Try a different font and see if the raster cut looks any better also try a raised letter and see how it carves and change up materials to see look best to you!

Ike