PDA

View Full Version : !st Carving

hess
02-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Well got the unit on Sat been reading the book online for awhile. All went well except when I told it to crave in the center of the pice it moved the broad to the front and then returned to the back but does not stop and just expells the broad and then gives an error front roller stuck
I think my broad is 8in by 5ft and the pattern was only 8
x6 so don't know that it would have been to short a broad any ideas? this is fun\\but sure make noise wonder if a pipe to the out side on the muff would help we use to do that to noise form air comperes before

Oh forgot it craves to the side or edge just fine

Thanks Hess:-D

Amonaug
02-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Was the board at least 1/2" thick?

Sometimes dust gets in the roller switches. Go to
0) Options
7) check sensors
and scroll to the roller using the arrow keys without a board loaded. They should both read Uncompressed, if one reads compressed push the roller up and donw a bit while turning it to see if that loosens it. If not try blowing air into it, the switch is closest to the keypad side. 2 small screws hold it in place, simply loosen them (not remove them) to blow air into.

CraigBrownDesigns
02-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Don't forget to support the board while measuring out to the ends. Learned my lesson with that one.

hess
02-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Was the board at least 1/2" thick?

Sometimes dust gets in the roller switches. Go to
0) Options
7) check sensors
and scroll to the roller using the arrow keys without a board loaded. They should both read Uncompressed, if one reads compressed push the roller up and donw a bit while turning it to see if that loosens it. If not try blowing air into it, the switch is closest to the keypad side. 2 small screws hold it in place, simply loosen them (not remove them) to blow air into.

Sorry about the complete quote I have not come up with how to do just a line

Yep the wood was 1/2. I have been busy on the lathe so I did not get back to the pc till now. I will check the other things in the am. It strange it only does it when I select palce project in center option. Hey I can see how this can get real fun even better then sex! at my age thats kinda easy. well thanks much

Hess

hess
02-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Don't forget to support the board while measuring out to the ends. Learned my lesson with that one.

Craig what happens does it just chuck it out? Mine is out a big bench so it only went a few inches thanks

Hess

Kenm810
02-02-2009, 06:30 AM
HeyHess,

Quote; "Sorry about the complete quote I have not come up with how to do just a line"

You can "Highlight" just the Text you want or need,
Then do a copy/past to your Reply. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Jeff_Birt
02-02-2009, 08:01 AM
Yep the wood was 1/2.

Maybe a silly question. Did you measure the thickness of the wood with calipers? I have found that many times wood from a local lumber yard is 0.050" or so under sized. Even this small amount of being under size can throw the machine off.

hess
02-02-2009, 08:12 AM
Quote; "Sorry about the complete quote I have not come up with how to do just a line

whats the old saying KISS keep it simple stupid Thanks

Hess

hess
02-02-2009, 08:16 AM
Hey Jeff
I have been going over stuff and noted I entered the size of the carving I wanted and not the board lenth wonder if this thew it off? I keep hearing about the 7 ins you have to have. Any way had a 5 foot board for a 10 carving

Hess

Jeff_Birt
02-02-2009, 08:26 AM
With a board that long you'll need extra support rollers for the board. If not the weight of the board will cause it to tip when it tries to measure to the ends.

Amonaug
02-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Hey Jeff
I have been going over stuff and noted I entered the size of the carving I wanted and not the board lenth wonder if this thew it off? I keep hearing about the 7 ins you have to have. Any way had a 5 foot board for a 10 carving

Hess

It'd be better to just cut the board to 17" then you don't waste so much wood nor have the support problems. Better yet read all the Tips & Tricks and learn how to use a sled to save even more wood.

hess
02-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks I was wonder what a normal size was. I made the sled as per instuction on Tips just have not read how to use. Do you just cut you wood to the finshed size then jog the head to it our will it find it on its own. I know stop asking and read. but thanks I will try that.

Hess

Amonaug
02-02-2009, 05:04 PM
I don't want to confuse you but if you read the Tip & Tricks on sleds in there you also read about rails. That is my preferred method of carving.

To begin for simplicity sake I'd use the center on board option until you experiment and find what "Place on end" or "jog to position" do.

For rails I cut my board down to the size I have it in designer then add the rails that give it the extra width and the extra 7+" on length For projects at least 1/2" thick. A sled is NEEDED for thinner stock. I place the board in the center of the sled/rails.

hess
02-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks Kevin I was reading about them tdday one place i'm not clear do you set the real work pice size in designer or how big you want your pattern
Thanks
hess

hess
02-02-2009, 09:11 PM
With a board that long you'll need extra support rollers for the board. If not the weight of the board will cause it to tip when it tries to measure to the ends.

Hey Jeff I'm still getting a front roller stuck reading. I cut my peace donw to 17 in and did a measure it did the W just fine but on the L if never stopped and sent the wood all the way out the back. Checked Manwell, said do a cleaning of the rollers so I blew both out with air can leift them each just a bit as if there is some spring action they both go up and down. Cant realy say if Im getting a click as I'm mostly deaf. I dont hear somthing when I push them up but cant tell if is mental movement sound or what. The Senor reading does not change when I lift up Book says next step call CW Any ideas

Thank Hess

Jeff_Birt
02-02-2009, 09:44 PM
A stuck roller is typically caused by a bit of sawdust jammed up in the roller switches. The switches are on the front side of the roller. I usually blow out that area on each roller after a day of carving. A few folks have had a problem with the switch itself getting a bit out of place.

hess
02-02-2009, 10:16 PM
A stuck roller is typically caused by a bit of sawdust jammed up in the roller switches. The switches are on the front side of the roller. I usually blow out that area on each roller after a day of carving. A few folks have had a problem with the switch itself getting a bit out of place.

Will I did manage to find the search button so far I vac it blew it out loosened the 2 screws and blew it out some more but no luck. No click that I can hear. I was able to move the roller freely whit the screws backed off and never once did the read out change.

I guess the bright side is the sears one will be here in 2 more days and I does carve on the end.

Thanks Hess