PDA

View Full Version : A four sided carve... what would be the best way?

karossii
02-01-2009, 05:43 PM
I am STILL eagerly awaiting my carvewright, which I ordered nearly a month ago (and was promised two week shipping on)... and until I get the thing, have been working like a madman with the designer software making all kinds of things I will most likely never actually transfer to wood.

My wife is asking me to make a carved bed frame for our new bed (which we haven't even yet gotten) - we will be upgrading to a king size soon; and instead of buying a frame, I think it would be a good idea to make one myself.

I like poster beds, and so will be making the four posters; not sure yet if it will be a more american pencil-poster or the european canopy poster yet; but the thing I am stuck on is the actual posts. I would like either slightly rounded square posts with highly detailed carvings on them, or possibly something more octagonal with less details; probably something like one or more spirals moving up the length.

I know if I go octagonal it will be best to make several (...8 maybe? ;)) flat boards with a 22.5° edge on the back and join them - making a spiral that travels up the column would be difficult but not impossible.

But if I go with the more square shape, I am contemplating trying to carve a 4x4 or 6x6 post with one or more mpc files... has anyone done four sided carvings yet? I am sure someone has had to have tried.

How hard is it to align the sides up?

If you carve out a rounded edge, how round can it become overall? I am assuming there is no way it would look as good as a turned piece; but just exploring options (plus I don't have a lathe).

With either way, 4 or 8 flat boards joined, or a single post carved down, has anyone tried to get some kind of spiral groove or other decoration in a similar manner? Any hints on that?

Thanks in advance!

DocWheeler
02-01-2009, 05:58 PM
karossii,

A lot of what you have said is possible, however, remember that five inches is the maximum thickness of an object inserted into the machine.

Another thing to consider is the weight of what you put in the machine, it is driven by plastic gears.

There are "rope" patterns that you could possibly enlarge to do what you want done.

I guess that my thoughts would lean toward using other equipment for that kind of thing. When I designed my home, I intended to have two spiral columns flanking the dining room entry, then I priced them! Still trying to figure out how to make them. The bits are available from several places, you just need to create a jig for the router to travel the length of the column as it turns.

Michael Anthony
02-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Karossii: Another way would be to make a hollow post, by using 3/4" stock, say 6" at the bottom and 3" at the top. That way you could carve all four pieces and then jig up and cut them on the table saw?:)

karossii
02-01-2009, 06:21 PM
Hi Ken! (There are several of us Ken's on here, I notice... wonder why that is?)

I thought the maximum was 7", not 5". I suppose that limits me to a 4x4, not a 6x6. Especially if I use any kind of a sled.

It would probably look better if I make 4 (or 8) side panels and joint them somehow, but I was thinking of making a tapered column, which could be hard to calculate (and route) the sides for that properly. If I could just take a 4x4 and carve deeper on one end, assuming the carves all aligned up properly, it could be a decent taper (down to as small as a 2x2 from a 4x4).

Eh. I have no idea just yet, that's why I am posting here for more ideas and advice from others!

Amonaug
02-01-2009, 06:32 PM
There are many tools in the Designer program to help align objects. To do a 4 sided carving you'd make 2 two sided projects (or use 1 2 sided carving twice is all 4 sides will be the same). The CW will always carve the back first then prompt you to flip the board widthwise and carve the front.

Also remember it can only carve up to .8 inches deep and cut up to 1" thick.

karossii
02-01-2009, 06:38 PM
Karossii: Another way would be to make a hollow post, by using 3/4" stock, say 6" at the bottom and 3" at the top. That way you could carve all four pieces and then jig up and cut them on the table saw?:)

That is somewhat what I was thinking as another option... just not certain how well it would align by doing things that way.

Dan-Woodman
02-01-2009, 07:06 PM
The CW was not designed for such large projects. The largest bit it handle is probabley 1/2" to 5/8" dia. The horsepower is 1hp. and then figure in the flex shaft which cuts horsepower. Today I was cutting 5" letters( with outline) .260 deep and making 3 passes total on each letter , first 2 passes were .110 ea . and last cleanup pass was .040 in white Oak and it was struggling.
Keep in mind it's only a hobby machine .
later Daniel

AskBud
02-01-2009, 08:00 PM
With the "Select Surface" Icon set at the MAX (Depth 0.8 and Height 999), the closest you can come to a true circle is a board 3.2 inches SQ.
AskBud

Kenm810
02-01-2009, 09:36 PM
karossii,

A double two sided carve, a Neat idea

geekviking
02-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Contemplating the same thing, I'd like to make a 4 poster very simular to what is shown in Ken's pic's (but with all 4 posts, not only two) and then carve celtic knot patterns in the flat surface. I just cant figure out how to jig or get my CW to carve down the sloped (tapered) surface. I've been thinking maybe a wedge type jig to place under the skinny end of the taper while it's carving? Any advice from any of you experienced craftsman would be greatly appreciated... :) I would LOVE to surprise my wife with this type of accoplishment as well. :cool:

liquidguitars
02-02-2009, 01:23 PM
making a spiral that travels up the column would be difficult but not impossible

I think Go3D.us did a spiral 2 sided cave once.

LG

Kenm810
02-02-2009, 01:55 PM
That would be fun to watch
while it carved http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

liquidguitars
02-02-2009, 02:33 PM
nice job Ken!

do you have the PNG and the MPC of this you can share?

Kenm810
02-02-2009, 03:17 PM
I did the photos on my shop office pc and just got home,
I have both the .ptn and the .mpc on my office pc,
but just .ptn file on my home Pc.
I'd be happy to post the .mpc tomorrow
when I get back to work if you like.

liquidguitars
02-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Thanks Ken,
very nice..

LG