PDA

View Full Version : Multi-bit project - which bit when?

djarboe
02-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Just started my first multi-bit project, and am now stumped by several questions.

My project is 11" X 29", so I am using a board that is 11" x 36". I put the board in, and told it not to stay under the rollers (it is 7" longer than the project) and to center the project on the board.

The project has a 0.25" recessed surface with a 1/2" feather, so all the carving will stand up from that.

The CW measured the board length and width, and left the board all the way at one end.

It first asked for the 1/2" Classical bit, and did all the homing, surface finding, etc. Second, it asked for the 1/8" cutting bit, homed it, measured the board thickness. Third, it asked which carving bit, and I selected the 1/16" bit (this is what was in the project.) It did all the homing, surface finding etc.

So, when I was ready to go, it asked for "bit 1". Which bit is this? I assumed it was the first bit used during the setup - the 1/2" Classical. So, I put that in and hit enter.

Well, it began carving the recess with the 1/2" Classical bit. Should it be using the 1/8" cutting bit for the recessed area?

So, what it bit 1? Based on this, I assume it will soon ask for bit 2 and bit 3. Which is which???

Dan-Woodman
02-01-2009, 05:50 PM
It will always ask for the bits in reverse order of use. It always does the recessed carving first with the tapered 1/16" carving bit, If your doing a cutpath, thats always last with the 1/8" straight cutting bit.
later Daniel

djarboe
02-01-2009, 05:55 PM
So, I should have left the 1/16" carving bit in, then the Classical, then the cutting bit. I would never have guessed this. Thanks!

Is this documented somewhere? I looked through the manual, but I didn't see anything about this topic... or maybe I just didn't look close enough.

It will always ask for the bits in reverse order of use. It always does the recessed carving first with the tapered 1/16" carving bit, If your doing a cutpath, thats always last with the 1/8" straight cutting bit.
later Daniel

Dan-Woodman
02-01-2009, 06:05 PM
I'm not sure if it's documented or not. It maybe in the owners manual.
It asks for the bits so it can measure each one and keep it in memory for the prject your doing. The last bit 1/16" carving, measures last so you don't have to change it again.
I see your from K.C. Are you going to the woodworking show in Overland Park in 2 weeks?
later Daniel

djarboe
02-01-2009, 06:08 PM
That makes sense, when I think about it. At the time, however, my thinking was not what it used to be...

Yes, I hope to go to the show. I'm planning on it, unless we get a foot of snow or ice. Around here, one never knows!

Thanks for your help. I'm glad I stopped the CW before it went too far carving with the Classic bit!

I'm not sure if it's documented or not. It maybe in the owners manual.
It asks for the bits so it can measure each one and keep it in memory for the prject your doing. The last bit 1/16" carving, measures last so you don't have to change it again.
I see your from K.C. Are you going to the woodworking show in Overland Park in 2 weeks?
later Daniel

Amonaug
02-01-2009, 06:13 PM
I have never had it ask for Bit 1, are you sure you are reading it right?

It will usually ask for the bit by name.

Dan-Woodman
02-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Maybe thats new with 1.132. I've never seen that either.
djarboe, If your at the show Sunday, stop by the Lee's Summit Woodworkers Guild booth and say hi. I'm working on carving a BIG sign for the back wall of our booth, and I'LL be doing a show and tell on CW projects at 10:00 sun.
later Daniel

TerryT
02-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Nope, even with 1.132 my machine asks for the bits by name not #1 or #2. make sure you didn't read it wrong.