PDA

View Full Version : 1 1/2" Thick Carvings

DanaB
02-01-2009, 12:21 PM
I am new to the CarveWright family having received my machine a couple of weeks ago. In reading the Tips & Tricks, several Forum Treads, watching several tutorials, etc. I have not found any discussion on how to carve a two sided, 1 1/2" thick project. I have tried using two projects, each 3/4" deep and have come close to getting the two to align but would appreciate any suggestions from the pros.

liquidguitars
02-01-2009, 12:38 PM
If your talking about just flipping the board, one of the best ways is using a sled.

I use the sled to index the wood adding center lines made by your MPC so all you need to do is flip the board over and bingo.

I have over 20 custom made ones for running guitar parts.

also you can check out:

http://liquidguitars.com/html/carving.html

http://liquidguitars.com/assets/images/GuitarSledR001.jpg

DanaB
02-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Thanks "Liquid Guitars" for your suggestion. I also appreciated your web site showing your use of sleds.

My project is a small toy car body cut out of 1.75" x 4.5" x 1" or 1.25" blocks, supplied by a group that makes cars for kids in hospitals. I have been using 17" rails with the block to be cut, centered and stuck to the rails with double sided tape. I have additional blocks at each end held in with tape around the rails.

Cutting the 1" blocks works fine but when I try using two projects to cut the two sides on the 1 1/4" blocks using two projects that mirror each other, the top and bottom are off by a .062 to .125. The ends seem to line up.

I've tried attaching everything to the center and attaching one project to the top and the other to the bottom with similar results.

Dan-Woodman
02-02-2009, 04:59 PM
When the CW measures your board, is it the same width size as the board in designer? It may be resizing it .
later Daniel

liquidguitars
02-02-2009, 05:40 PM
It may be resizing it

can you show a picture of the sled and tell us how you are setting up the CW to run it?

I find if i layout the sled first in designer it helps to get the indexing right, you could even scribe marks for the blocks then add the wood side rails to finish the sled, also add 4" or more on the ends of the jig ect..

I have additional blocks at each end held in with tape around the rails.

I think i would just glue in a block at the ends and sand it flush, I use a drum sander to sand the sleds
after glueing.

also if you take a look at Kenm810 sleds, it will give a idea on a nice soild sled design.

LG